i understand the major and minor progressions for chords,

( I ii iii IV V vi vii-dim) and all that,

but does the same progressions apply when using 7th chords, 9th chords and diffrent types of chords other then major and minor?
The root, third, and 5th must stay the same. After that, you can use extensions, but you have to use the right one. In C major, Cmaj9 (1 3 5 7 9, C E G B D) fits in the key while C9 (1 3 5 b7 9, C E G Bb D) does not.
its very simple - a 7th chord is playing a chord a third up over the original chord. ie. in C, a I 7th chord is Em over C. giving a major 7th. 9ths are made from chords a fifth up, ie G chord over C, giving a major 9th.

for the V chord, G, you're playing a B half diminished chord, which contains a b5 or tritone, over G, which creates the familiar tenseness of a dominant 7th chord.

This is the general pattern for creating 7ths and 9ths. the major scale harmonised is:

Imaj9 iim9 iiim7b9 IVmaj9 V9 viim9 viidim7b9
Quote by Declan87
its very simple - a 7th chord is playing a chord a third up over the original chord. ie. in C, a I 7th chord is Em over C. giving a major 7th. 9ths are made from chords a fifth up, ie G chord over C, giving a major 9th.

for the V chord, G, you're playing a B half diminished chord, which contains a b5 or tritone, over G, which creates the familiar tenseness of a dominant 7th chord.

This is the general pattern for creating 7ths and 9ths. the major scale harmonised is:

What the jolly fuck are you talking about?
Quote by Declan87

While that...sort of works, it's generally better to see them as what they are: chords that with more extended degrees than triads. So just as a major chord is 1 3 5, a major 7th chord is 1 3 5 7(ninth is 1 3 5 7 9 etc. etc.).

TS, you're correct. If you're not already familiar with the types of 7th chords (minor, major, dominant, diminished, half diminished) please become familiar with them.
Quote by Declan87

I support this way of seeing extended harmony

The world would be a happier place if we boiled everything down to component triads and bass notes.
thats not what i was asking.

i was asking, if like in the key of C major, where the chords would be C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

if i were to make them 7th chords, would the progression still be C7 Dm7 Em7 F7 G7 Am7 Bdim7 ???
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
thats not what i was asking.

i was asking, if like in the key of C major, where the chords would be C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

if i were to make them 7th chords, would the progression still be C7 Dm7 Em7 F7 G7 Am7 Bdim7 ???

Almost.

Cmaj7
Fmaj7
Bmin7b5 (B halfdimished 7th)