buy, but there is a tube amp which will sound better for only $10 more, the Epiphone Valve Junior
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
+1 to the VJ reccomendation.

building an amp (especially a first project amp) shouldn't have anything to do with cost, really. It's not a money saving idea...

I'd say go with a VJ. You can always practice modding it, as it's pretty much the most popular amp to mod, so there's peopl who know lots about modding it left and right. And it can also help you get some ideas of what to look for in a future amp build.
Quote by Cars&Guitars400
I dont want 5w though (i am expierienced in wiring and all that too)

why?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
one tube watt>one SS watt (generally in the range of 2-2.5 times), so the Valve Junior will be as loud, if not louder, than the MG. Not to mention the speaker in it is larger (6.5" in the MG, as compared to 8" in the Valve Junior) , so it can push more air
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 26, 2008,
^^He's right.

Since the Epi Valve Jr is a tube amp, it's 5 watts of tube power will be louder than 10 watts of solid state. My 5 watt tube Palomino can get as loud as my 30 watt Roland Cube.
someone said something about this that made a lot of since...

if your interested in building an amp to save money... don't...

making amps is actually pretty expensive... especially if its a tube amp. I'd suggest just buying one
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial