I've realised that my vibrato, while decent on an 'unbent' note, sounds poor when I'm at the top of a bend. Any tips?

Cheers.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

I have a problem with this too. Can't think of a better solution than to increase finger strength...
I'm interested in some technical tips on this if anyone has any...
Tickle me.
Last edited by jamstation at May 26, 2008,
don't try to vibrato too fast, start slow. keep in mind the pitch you want to reach at the top. a lot of guitarists use their entire arm for creating the vibrato. give that a try.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
don't try to vibrato too fast, start slow. keep in mind the pitch you want to reach at the top. a lot of guitarists use their entire arm for creating the vibrato. give that a try.

I'm one of them
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
I'm one of them

lol don't worry there's nothing wrong with that. It typically creats a harsher and stronger vibrato actually. I personally can't do it that well unless i'm adding vibrato to a bent string... otherwise i only use my fingers and hand if it's an unbent note.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I had this problem too. What I found I was doing wrong was relaxing the pressure on the string as I bent it up. Since this takes most of the vibration out of that string, my virbrato was close to nonexistant in bends. After realizing this and making an effort to keep the pressure on, as it were, all fixed now .

Chris
Yeah, had the same problem. I found that if you go over the bend pitch when doing the vibrato it sounds really horrible, so when your at full bend go down a tiny bit, then up the where you were before.
Thanks for the advice. It seems that most people had this problem at some stage.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Try not to bend your fingers, but, as said, move your wrist or arm. Takes ages to master, but I think it's the most important technique there is for guitar.
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
With vibrato on a bend, it's vital that you oscillate between the correct pitch and slightly flat. If your go sharp it will just sound like an apple fart.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Well what kind of vibrato you talking about? Cause there are two types of vibrato. Rock and classical.
~Gigantic Underøath fan~
Quote by Jammin'
you've been playing for 7 to 8 EIGHTS?

Also check out my band Smiles In Sickness
Quote by Octavianus
With vibrato on a bend, it's vital that you oscillate between the correct pitch and slightly flat. If your go sharp it will just sound like an apple fart.

Well if you're doing it right it'll sound good no matter which way you go, but you're right it's a lot easier to go flat than sharp, it requires a lot less finger strength making it easier to hit the right pitches with more precision.
Quote by Bloodoath
Well what kind of vibrato you talking about? Cause there are two types of vibrato. Rock and classical.

Classical vibrato while bending doesn't really work
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Use your wrist. Make a sort of "doorknob" movement, while keeping your fingers firn on the string.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.