omg its so painful :_(

started 3 days ago after reading some stuff here in UG forums, feels so strange to have the hand "free" over the strings ...

and ofc cant play ****, i miss a lot now xD the thing that annoys me the most is that now I cant tremolo pick something as simple as this:

E: 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

patience ... discipline ...
anchoring is not necsseraly a bad thing....many great guitar players do it. Michael Angelo Batio anchors his hand and he can still tear it up like theres not tomorrow. Theres no reason for you to change the way you play just because someone said theres a proper way of doing things. Look at Marty Friedman...his right hand technique is the polar opposite of "proper technique" yet he still manages to accurately play fast runs. Not only that, it also gives him a distinct sound which is instantly recognizable by anyone. How you play an instrument should be based on some rules, but only if they are within your comfort range
You don't have to have your hand "free" over the strings to not anchor. You are going to have to mute the extra string noise somehow, and most people use their right hand. Anchoring is when you are using other fingers, usually your pinky and sometimes other ones, to "hold on" to the body of the guitar.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by nemesis65
anchoring is not necsseraly a bad thing....many great guitar players do it. Michael Angelo Batio anchors his hand and he can still tear it up like theres not tomorrow. Theres no reason for you to change the way you play just because someone said theres a proper way of doing things. Look at Marty Friedman...his right hand technique is the polar opposite of "proper technique" yet he still manages to accurately play fast runs. Not only that, it also gives him a distinct sound which is instantly recognizable by anyone. How you play an instrument should be based on some rules, but only if they are within your comfort range

yes i know, but if i understood what ive read here, both Batio and Friedman would be even better than they are now if they wouldnt anchor.
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
You don't have to have your hand "free" over the strings to not anchor. You are going to have to mute the extra string noise somehow, and most people use their right hand. Anchoring is when you are using other fingers, usually your pinky and sometimes other ones, to "hold on" to the body of the guitar.

yes i was used to anchor my pinky
When you first started playing guitar, I have no doubt that it wasnt very easy or natural. Just deal with it. I had to completly relearn how to hold the pick because I found out that I had been holding it wrong for two years. Do what needs to be done. You'll be a better player for it.
Quote by Gacel
yes i know, but if i understood what ive read here, both Batio and Friedman would be even better than they are now if they wouldnt anchor.

Dunno about Batio, his technique is probably the most unique right hand technique ever. I get aching hands just thinking about string skipping with that technique though..

I don't think Friedman anchors.. not with his fingers anyway. And it's his phrasing and vibrato/bends that make him sound like Marty, IMO.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Dunno about Batio, his technique is probably the most unique right hand technique ever. I get aching hands just thinking about string skipping with that technique though..

I don't think Friedman anchors.. not with his fingers anyway. And it's his phrasing and vibrato/bends that make him sound like Marty, IMO.

very true, however his picking style is also a great factor behind his "sound" due to the way he accents certain notes. and yes i know he doesn't anchor...i was just giving an example of someone who doesn't use proper right hand technique.

As for the other comment above...read the post again...i was saying that both Friedman and Batio benefited from their improper technique.