They're pissing me off.

I can play every bar chord ever made. Even C, D and G shaped ones, and ofcourse E, but whenever I play an A-shaped bar (major, the minors are fine) I'm always muting either the B-or high E-string.

Now suppose I would play an A-shaped E-chord. I play it with a full bar on the 7th and a half bar on the 9th, barring the 3rd, 4th and 5th string. I tried playing it with different finger position (like a bar on 7th fret and each string on 9th fret with a different finger) but I found out that's way too slow.

Anyone knows how to play them properly?
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
use 2 fingers

index to bar as normal

ring to hold down 3 strings for the A shape
it's common to just miss out high E when strumming tbh
Quote by Samothomas
They're pissing me off.

I can play every bar chord ever made. Even C, D and G shaped ones, and ofcourse E, but whenever I play an A-shaped bar (major, the minors are fine) I'm always muting either the B-or high E-string.

Now suppose I would play an A-shaped E-chord. I play it with a full bar on the 7th and a half bar on the 9th, barring the 3rd, 4th and 5th string. I tried playing it with different finger position (like a bar on 7th fret and each string on 9th fret with a different finger) but I found out that's way too slow.

Anyone knows how to play them properly?

Won't it be 2, 3 and 4th string?

Actually, you are talking about Ashaped in the 5th string right? So you should be putting or half-barre over the 5th.
its hard at first, but there are two options, this is one is better, when you use one finger to bar the 3 strings, you need to sorta bend it in, so your finger kinda curls up.
the other way is to stretch your 3rd 4th and 5th fingers over the stings in need, this is stretching alot, so like i said, try the first one.
"
Hey, it's all about practice. Take it slow, making sure that every note rings out, and do it over and over, until you finally get it. Just try to make sure the bottom of your finger is nowhere near the board if possible, and just take it slow. Good luck.
Gear

'07 Ibanez RG1570MRB Prestige
'97 Ibanez RGR570 - V7/Dimarzio Fast Track/ Dimarzio PAF Pro
Westfield SG Copy
Westfield Strat Copy
Falcon Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Roland Microcube
Unbranded 15W Starter Amp
i dont understand what you mean by "a-shaped," "c, d, and g [shaped]"... am i alone in this?
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Won't it be 2, 3 and 4th string?

Actually, you are talking about Ashaped in the 5th string right? So you should be putting or half-barre over the 5th.

Wait, high E is the first? I thought it was the other way around. In that case I mean 2, 3, 4th yes.

The problem is, stretching my 3rd finger so it bars 2, 3, 4th string is what I currently do, but it won't stretch far enough.

Quote by Guitar_Poet
i dont understand what you mean by "a-shaped," "c, d, and g [shaped]"... am i alone in this?

E-shaped would be 133211
A-shaped would be x13331
C-shaped would be x43121
D-shaped would be xx1343
G-shaped would be 431114

all are of course movable accross the fretboard, so 133211 coud become 799877
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Last edited by Samothomas at May 26, 2008,
^ Guitar poet, it means he's trying to play the barre chord that uses the shape of an open A chord, and barring it up the neck at say the 5th fret. You would then have the 5th fret barred, and the A shape at the 7th fret of the D G and B strings.
TS, remember, as long as you can get the DGB strings to sound out, you don't have to press those down with your forefinger that you are using for the barre. They're already being pressed down by your ring finger. Focus the pressure of your forefinger on the A string and the high E string. The ones in between will be taken care with the other finger. And don't sweat it if you can't get the high E to ring out. Lot's of players miss it from time to time. Just go on to the next chord as smoothly as possible and chances are good that no one will be the wiser.
Last edited by LeftyDave at May 26, 2008,
well these are the simple major chords with the root note on the A tring...barr with your index and your ring finger
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
I know I should bar with my index and ring finger. That's what I'm doing now. But I'm always muting the b- or high e string because my ring finger won't bend enough. That may not be a big deal with strumming, but it is with arpeggio's. So is it just a matter of practice?

last.fm
Quote by Samothomas
I know I should bar with my index and ring finger. That's what I'm doing now. But I'm always muting the b- or high e string because my ring finger won't bend enough. That may not be a big deal with strumming, but it is with arpeggio's. So is it just a matter of practice?

Is ring finger the 3rd one? If so, that's the one I use.

The key is putting your finger in a "mountain" shape, if you look it from the side. It would be like ,^-- .

Lol, it's impossible to draw it with symbols. anyway, do you get what I mean?
Quote by HuckIt
well these are the simple major chords with the root note on the A tring...barr with your index and your ring finger

Sorry to go off topic but i looked at the pic in your sig. what is 'the pear' lol
Quote by Anzath
Sorry to go off topic but i looked at the pic in your sig. what is 'the pear' lol

presumably

/offtopic

I don't really get the mountain shape.....

last.fm