Theres this wierd gunky crap on my fretboard....and I dont know how to get rid of it!
Its like in the little ridges on the fretboard, and it looks like my fretboard is a freakin zebra. How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

that gunk is the oil and skin from your hands and fingers. easy way to clean it is to loosen it up with some fretboard cleaner and then scrape it with a pick.
Ok well, I got the most of it off with a pick, but now its still in the little ridges, thers so many ridges, it would take like five hours to use the tip of the pick to clean it out.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

They sell fret board cleaner but its a rip off. Quick question though, Rosewood or maple? if its rosewood use lemon oil. its cheap, cleans good, and makes your fingerboard smell like lemons. if its maple, pledge will take off years worth of build up.
WHAT! DONT SCRAPE IT OF WITH A PICK! That can cause damage to the fingerboard over time and would cost alot of money to fix. To get the gunk out from around the frets use lemon oil on a q tip.
Q-tips help for up by the frets
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
Quote by tracerbeast
They sell fret board cleaner but its a rip off. Quick question though, Rosewood or maple? if its rosewood use lemon oil. its cheap, cleans good, and makes your fingerboard smell like lemons. if its maple, pledge will take off years worth of build up.

Rosewood.

Where do I get Lemon Oil?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

most every hardware store and big chain-stores carry lem oil
EDIT: for $1 more you could get lemon oil fingerboard polish
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
any grocery store in the cleaners section. I use old english. it was like 5 bucks, but i have been using the same bottle for 3 years and have 5 guitars to clean. It still has half a bottle left.
Yes, any regular lemon oil, it doesn't have to be made for guitars.

IIRC you're not supposed to use Pledge on rosewood. I don't remember why. I could even be wrong.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Oh yeah i guess i should tell you how to use it because it wont come with directions First get an old cotton t shirt you dont like, maybe something an ex girlfriend gave you and rip it into a couple of rags ( or you could buy those cotton rags at wal-mart, but i like to destroy). keep out two rags. Put one good squirt on the rag and buff the frets, then take a q tip and get behind all of the frets (if you dont it will make it gunk up much faster). After you have removed all the dirt use the other rag to dry them off. Then take the wet rag again and rebuff the frets. let this coat air dry, This will keep rosewood from drying out and cracking.
it doesnt hurt to use pledge or other furnature polish on rosewood, it just leaves residue. furnature polish has silicone in it(for shine i think) and it stays in the pores of the rosewood and leaves ugly waxy deposits sometimes. this isnt an issue for maple cause its sealed.

but it woulnt dammage your fingerboard as far as i know
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
A good fretboard cleaner (dunlop's $$) and a TOOTHBRUSH! not a pick, that's possible damage and not a q-tip... that takes forever. a toothbrush is the best, fastest and safest way to really get all the fungus out.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
Like this?

That is EXACTLY what is on my fretboard.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
That is EXACTLY what is on my fretboard.

It's more than likely a waxy buildup from some aftermarket product. Take the strings off, bust out an even soft bristle toothbrush and go to town cleaning the fretboard with something like Dunlop 01. After that, toss on some Dunlop 02 and it should help. Try not to use too much of either Dunlop 01 or 02. Those two products are just my preference, so do some research to see what you'll want to use.

The white doesn't effect anything other than your sanity. :-P
Probably, but the thing is I havent touched it with anthing other than my hands. It came straight from the factory, so I dont know what it would be. Thanks for the help, ill have to run to the store sometime this week, and yeah, its driving me crazy.

Oh, and while I still have a thread open, how low could I put the bridge on my Hellraiser before it was too low? The strings are too high for me....but im not entirely sure if I could lower them or not.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Google for "guitar setup" or something of that nature. There are manuf. suggested specs, but pretty much just make sure the neck doesn't have a backbow, lower the bridge until you don't get buzz then adjust the pickup height.

At some point, someone may have oiled up the fretboard and the pores filled with whatever waxy crap was mixed with the oil. At the factory, at a store, etc.
Alright then. Thanks for the help man!

That makes sense, alright then, I have what I need now. thanks!

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance