I am having trouble with my strings breaking for the past month i have been re-stringing my guitar weekly, i dont know if my strings are to light. Im currently using GHS Boomers 009's and my last pair lasted for 4 days and broke after a 40 minute jam. CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE i cant keep buying strings
boomers corrode more quickly than any other string in my opinion. They would lose tone after 2 days. Try different strings.
yeah try different string companies
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
yes and no. It depends on how you treat the strings. if you pick them hard and over bend any string will break. But mainly corrosion is the cause for most string breaks. Let me ask you a question do you practice at long intervals? If so you have a problem similar to mine. You have acid hands. It means the sweat on your hands and oil from your fingers corrodes a string more quickly than others. so get rid of the ghs's those are not good for acid handed people. Try super slinkys and d' addarios. But if you got the money try elixers, the coating on the string will keep it from coroding as fast.
It also could be sharp surfaces wherever the string makes contact with the guitar. Is it typically one string that breaks, and do any strings that break usually break in the same spot(s)?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
i do practice for in long intervals and i can smell like a rust on my finger tips i dont know if that has anything to do with it
Try to visually inspect the bridge saddles for sharp spots, this can be hard, use a magnifying glass if you have one. Feel it with your fingers too. If you suspect that the saddles are sharp, you can use the finest sandpaper you can find and very lightly sand the surface.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

The saddle is to the bridge as the nut is to the neck, it's the part that the strings make contact with, the individual pieces that you can move to adjust intonation.

Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

good idea they do make files for saddles that keep you from going in to deep. I would try using fine sandpaper, go a little at a time and try it out and make sure that its not going to mess with the intonation. Hit the natural harmonic at the 12 fret and make sure its in perfect tune (then the harmonic will be perfect) then fret the 12th fret and see how off it is with the tuner then mark it down. use the sandpaper and restring it, then check out the intonation again. if its starts going sharper or flatter STOP, and take it to a professional. May i ask what kind of axe you slingin?
I looked at it again and i can definantly see where it looks cut right where it touches the bridge.
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
It's normal for there to be an indentation from the string. You don't want to eliminate that indent, you just want to smooth it out.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

so it has a vintage vibrato right? i was thinkin maybe it had a tunomatic which is more common for being sharp and cutting the string. The ibanez bridges are pretty well manufactured though. I would check to see if anyone else has the same problem with that model. could help.
alright im just gonna take it in a have a guitar lesson any ways ill just ask about it and experiment with some other strings
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
so i guess this eliminates the factor that its my sweaty hands?
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
Your hands still could be contributing. Just try a couple different brands and see what you like the feel of. Try some pure nickel strings too.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!