Hey, I was just wondering what 'boosting' an amp with an overdrive pedal actuly does? as in how does it affect your sound?
would it 'thicken up' a sound so to speak?

Any advice greatly appreciated

EDIT - Also if anyone wants to reccomend some ODS that would be helpfull too
Last edited by bass_monkey at May 26, 2008,
1st off... AWESOME rig you got there, i`m almost jelous.

and with that stuff how do you not know your question LOL... ok a O/D pedal drives your tubes harder to get more break up which is your distortion so it gives more gain., i`m sure someone else will explain it better.
Quote by Slayerdeath
1st off... AWESOME rig you got there, i`m almost jelous.

and with that stuff how do you not know your question LOL... ok a O/D pedal drives your tubes harder to get more break up which is your distortion so it gives more gain., i`m sure someone else will explain it better.

Haha cheers.
and i know it is daft that i dont know the answer to that question.
but cheers for the reply anyway anyway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_effects
Pretty useful. For overdrives click on "1.2 Overdrive/Crunch" sums up what they do rather well.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
using an overdrive to boost the amp can thicken up the sound. it can also color the sound depending on the pedal. but since you have a JVM, try this...
master - full
channel volume - full
gain - start at zero, then hit a note and slowly, very slowly, increase the gain knob. I suggest starting on clean channel green, then moving through each one like this. the amp will be way thicker and punchier than using the master volumes for overall volume. also, you can engage the effects loop and use that as an additional volume control (as long as there aren' t any effects in the loop).