Alright so ive been saving for a new amp for a while and ive got about 600$ plus hopefully about another 200$ when i sell my peavey bandit and 50$ from my micro-cube. Im looking at buying a head and using the bandit as a cab(if its possible) or just buyin a solid combo, as well as an attenuators to keep volume levels lower at night. As i said i have about 800$, i play mainly metal along with classic rock like boston, rush etc. What would be the smartest buy?
Ibanez SZ320
Michael Kelly Patriot Supreme
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Acoustic
Pod X3
You could probably get a used marshall jcm 800 combo for that price on the bay of e, they can do both metal and classic rock very well, you would definitely need an attenuator though.

oh and don't buy an attenuator for a solid state amp, attenuators are designed for tube amps only....
I'd get a combo as $800 won't get you much a decent half stack. Look into used Peavey 5150 / 6505 amps.
Quote by Mwoit
I'd get a combo as $800 won't get you much a decent half stack. Look into used Peavey 5150 / 6505 amps.

5150 combo is great. You have to push hard to get to the real tone though. I had one but moved to a condo and had to sell it.

Now I used a GT-8 with Headphones most of the time.
id rather go used but ive had no luck finding stuff in my area
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3
what kind of metal? 'cause there's sabbath type metal, metallica/slayer like metal, and CC, behemoth, or Nile-like metal. big difference.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You're probably not going get a JCM or 5150 used with $800, but id suggest getting an OD rather than an attenuator as they are fairly expensive and won't fit into that if its a tube amp budget.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
mainly thrash, megadeth, testament, kreator etc
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3
I'd say Peavey Valveking 212 w/ OD.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider
You're probably not going get a JCM or 5150 used with $800, but id suggest getting an OD rather than an attenuator as they are fairly expensive and won't fit into that if its a tube amp budget.

I got a 100w jcm 800 combo within that budget but an attenuator definitely would blow that budget by another $300-$400 minimum....
^That's a good deal then, I usually see them go for around $1100.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by LightningRider

i tried that didnt really like it.....ive been looking at the Bugera 333xl its 750ish on axemusic, but wasnt sure about the reliability issues, is it true or was it kinda blown out of proportion
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3
Quote by lewis_grey
I got a 100w jcm 800 combo within that budget but an attenuator definitely would blow that budget by another $300-$400 minimum....

problably should have mentioned the 800 is just for the amp, if i need an attenuator ill problably be buying it later on
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3
Quote by LightningRider
^That's a good deal then, I usually see them go for around $1100.

I'm in engalnd and I forgot marshalls are cheaper over here so you're right a jcm is probably out of the question....
Quote by LightningRider

this. Include a speaker change for the budget, too. This amp apparently loves V30s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
get a carvin MTS 3212. its 800$ and a damn nice tube amp. its also the one i use, and i love it.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Look into the Bugera 333XL. It's an excellent amp as long as you don't abuse it too much.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
yea the bugera is the top of my list, only thing is no one near me sells them, im going to toronto tommorow so im hoping someone there has them
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3
I have the Bugera 333... It does great for what I play, which is basically metal of all varieties.
The clean channel is nothing to write home about, but the two gain channels are nice. The Crunch channel is very British gain... like a Marshall. The Lead is very modern/American voiced, like a Mesa.
Tons of power on tap and very beautiful sounds. Definitely bang for the buck.
But 750 for the XL? On AMS the XL is 700, and the 333 is 650.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
yea its actually 770$ on axemusic, which is the only canadian online dealer that has it, kinda hoping itll be cheaper in store but i doubt it
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3
if i bought just an amp head would i be able to use the bandit as a cab for now??
Ibanez SZ320
Pod X3