I want to buy another external hardrive to store and listen to my music through my Xbox 360 and I'm wondering does anyone know whether the USB ports have enough power to run a hardrive without any external power block. I know that some hardrives, such as the Western Digital 320GB (the one I will hopefully purchase) uses the power dedicated from the computer's USB ports, solely. But does the Xbox contain enough power to run that hardrive like a standard Microsoft desktop would?
Neither can I, especially seeing as its made by Microsoft, but I wanted to make sure before I went ahead and let go of the money. If anyone know's for sure, let me know please.
Where would you be buying it from? If you're buying it from a shop, maybe they would let you try it, or could just tell you if you asked?
And if online, this looks like a Yahoo answers job or something!

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
email microsoft customer support before parting with your cash.

A standard USB port puts out 500mA of power, it shouldn't really be any different for a 360, especially since the power brick is at least twice the (physical) size of any PC PSU I've ever seen.
USB is USB, the power on them is standard, so if it can be powered from a PC usb port, it can be powered from a n Xbox, PS3, and anything else u can find
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Quote by ironman45
USB is USB, the power on them is standard, so if it can be powered from a PC usb port, it can be powered from a n Xbox, PS3, and anything else u can find

Cheers mate, I'm sure that'll do. I saw no real reason for it to be any different myself and everyone else doesn't see how it could be different so I'll just go for it. Cheers lads.
Quote by ironman45

Not necessarily.

USB ports on Mac keyboards don't tend to work with hardware with high power requirements.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
Not necessarily.

USB ports on Mac keyboards don't tend to work with hardware with high power requirements.

thats your problem right there
Quote by DaysoftheBlue
thats your problem right there

Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
It should work. My USB storage device works with the 360. Heck, even my iPod works with it, which is somewhat ironic.