I'm looking at new electric guitars (look at my sig and see why), and I'm leaning towards a model of SG. So far, I'm looking at a gibson faded sg or epiphone 1966 g-400.

Gibson: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-102935921-i1149235.gc

Epi: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G-400-Electric-Guitar-102676350-i1166714.gc

I'm fairly new to guitar (around 6 months now) and play mainly rock and punk right now, but want to get into metal also. Would these be good (if so, which'd be better?), or if not, what would you recommend?

btw, I'm looking at getting a roland cube 20x to replace my crap amp, so don't rant at me about how I should upgrade my amp first.]

Thanks in advance for any advice!
ok firstly, u dont need a gibson/epi to get a good intrument

for an SG shape, get an ESP viper and b/c u have enough u were gonna get a gibson, get either the 400+ model

hope i can help
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
get A esp viper..their Sg on crack..it does not have to be epi/gibson to be good...I herd that too much and i know its not true
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
i had a epi for about a week. it was so neck heavy it was almost impossible to play standing. i've played the gibson it sounds good and it's balanced very well. if you can try them out you should..........big DIFFERENCE.
If u r sticking to the gibson / epiphone idea I would go for the epiphone now and get a gibson later
If in doubt u could buy the gibson pickups and put em in the epiphone that would be a cheap alternitive to the gibson ?
Quote by -Blue-
I didn't say I had the money yet, I need to save up... I'll take a look at Vipers. Are the 400's a lot better than 200's or 50's?
That's like asking: "What's better, a Yugo or an Aston Martin?"

The 400s are so many orders of magnitude better than the 200s and 50s, words can not describe it. Get a G-400 Custom if you like the shape.
Last edited by Flying Couch at May 26, 2008,
Quote by paul1991
If u r sticking to the gibson / epiphone idea I would go for the epiphone now and get a gibson
If in doubt u could buy the gibson pickups and put em in the epiphone that would be a cheap alternitive to the gibson ?

The neck still wouldn't be half as nice as the Gibson though.
UPDATE: Tried a G-400 and a Viper 400 in Sam Ash today. for some reason, the 10th fret and up sounded kind of off on the viper (on the 2 thin strings, I don't know about the rest). Like, the note was really sharp and wavering. Is this a universal problem for them (I didn't see another in the store I could try)?
Personally i'd get a telecaster of some kind and if you do get into metal buy a new pickups for it.
Check out a Fat Strat.

Anyways, Slightly OT, but Am I the ONLY one who thinks the Vipers look uglier than any guitar should be allowed to look? (Not including those stupid reverse gibsons)

Sounds like the guitar wasnt intonated. Easy to fix, if you were to get it make sure they fix it first and for free. lol
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by -Blue-
UPDATE: Tried a G-400 and a Viper 400 in Sam Ash today. for some reason, the 10th fret and up sounded kind of off on the viper (on the 2 thin strings, I don't know about the rest). Like, the note was really sharp and wavering. Is this a universal problem for them (I didn't see another in the store I could try)?

Could've been an intonation issue. Usually is just a matter of turning a screw, but could be more serious I suppose.
Quote by Empty Box
Sounds like the guitar wasnt intonated. Easy to fix, if you were to get it make sure they fix it first and for free. lol

Oops, I'm still learning to read.
the viper 400 will pretty much be metal and thats about it. and arent actives next to pointless through an SS amp like the cube 20x?

i have a version of the G-400 and its a fantastic guitar.
and by the way, its kinda a good rule of thumb to not buy any gibson thats "faded" or under standard (unless its a 90's lp studio...). In reality, that gibson is of lesser quality than the g-400, yet costs more due to those letters on the headstock

believe me, i was in your EXACT same position about a year ago and played both to no end before buying my epi.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Vipers are gay!

nah, I personally think the body shape looks total gash, but i've never played one, and that's just my personal oppinion.

The guitarist in my band plays an epiphone 400SG, they do neck dive, but the tone is classic. if your looking for a serious guitar, I would stay away from the cheaper epiphones.