Page 1 of 2
First off i'll start by saying everybody has thier opinion and prefferences, but i took back and traded my Crate GTD120 and got a Marshall MG250DFX and the difference is night and day. I know the Marshall has more watt's, but that's not what i like about it although the LOUDER the better. The clean, overdrive, and the overall sound and tone (in my opinion) blows away the crate. Unless i find something better i've just been converted to a Marshall Man.

sorry, i'm guessing you are in the earlier stages of playing? hopefully this is just a one time thing, in the future you shall move on to far better amps.

warning: DO NOT BUY THE MARSHALL MG HALFSTACK.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords

sorry, i'm guessing you are in the earlier stages of playing? hopefully this is just a one time thing, in the future you shall move on to far better amps.

warning: DO NOT BUY THE MARSHALL MG HALFSTACK.

They have the same internals pretty much.
exactly, just more money down the drain
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
exactly, just more money down the drain

Yeah, but whatever. I got mine as a gift. I run a BBE sonic maximizer through it and when my Classic 30 is at lower volumes the Marshall whoops it tone-wise.
I'm no expert, don't claim to be, but i could definately tell the difference and the Marshall was only $100 more than the Crate.
Well, if an MG turns you into a 'Marshall Man', just wait until you hear some real Marshalls!
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Zander155
Yeah, but whatever. I got mine as a gift. I run a BBE sonic maximizer through it and when my Classic 30 is at lower volumes the Marshall whoops it tone-wise.

that's because tube amps sound like ass when you play them at whisper volume lulz
Not much of a step up going from a crate SS to a marshall SS. But hey if your happy with it. Give it a few months when the electric gremlins take over. Or when you try to trade it in and nobody wants it.
Quote by OhioSlashFan
First off i'll start by saying everybody has thier opinion and prefferences, but i took back and traded my Crate GTD120 and got a Marshall MG250DFX and the difference is night and day. I know the Marshall has more watt's, but that's not what i like about it although the LOUDER the better. The clean, overdrive, and the overall sound and tone (in my opinion) blows away the crate. Unless i find something better i've just been converted to a Marshall Man.

I lol'd.

If you want a decent marshall, DO NOT get an MG or an AVT. The only good marshall's are the all tube ones, like the JVM and the DSL series.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
I lol'd.

If you want a decent marshall, DO NOT get an MG or an AVT. The only good marshall's are the all tube ones, like the JVM and the DSL series.

If i had the money i would have.
Quote by wolfy808
I lol'd.

If you want a decent marshall, DO NOT get an MG or an AVT. The only good marshall's are the all tube ones, like the JCM 800 and the JTM series.

Fixed.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by TechnicolorType
rofl a marshall man?

it's so annoying when people that probably don't know much about tone or guitars are like OMG MARSHALL

seriously, you're not a marshall man for playing an MG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0nx8oTV90
go to 2 minutes
marshalls shouldn't sound like that.

Marshall Man was said in a joking manner and your absolutely right about not knowing much, but as i stated i'm no expert, so tell me what amp to go buy and i'll do it just on your word, lol
sure mgs can probably be tweaked but you outa' look into some tube amps.. there's some at reasonable prices, but it depends what you like to play..
but the tubes will blow away the MG.
I knew mg's werent top of the line when i bought it, but after a month and a half of screwing with the crate i wanted something different. I was shown a few different ones, but i dont need a bunch of gadgets and effects. I like some new music, mainly classic rock. From the time i plugged my guitar in and a few adjustments this marshall is working out so far. You may be right, when i get to the point where i know what i'm talking about maybe i will get something different. I do know that what i paid for the marshall i couldn't get a decent (more than 15 watts) tube amp. Although i've never played on a tube amp i'm told that the sound is louder than the watt's?
Quote by wolfy808
I lol'd.

For what they are, AVT's are pretty sweet. They at least show people that every little bit of tube helps. I had to do some tweaking on the one I have used, but once you get that good, you can get a pretty good sound.

Sure it's no tube, but for the ridiculously low prices you can get them, it's a great starter amp or bridge from beginner amp to pro amp.

Also, congrats to the original poster. Chances are, you traded a turd for a turd with a Marshall logo on it. Please don't let this be the amp you think of, when you think Marshall.
Last edited by MAYNARD at May 27, 2008,
Quote by MAYNARD
For what they are, AVT's are pretty sweet. They at least show people that every little bit of tube helps. I had to do some tweaking on the one I have used, but once you get that good, you can get a pretty good sound.

Sure it's no tube, but for the ridiculously low prices you can get them, it's a great starter amp or bridge from beginner amp to pro amp.

Also, congrats to the original poster. Chances are, you traded a turd for a turd with a Marshall logo on it. Please don't let this be the amp you think of, when you think Marshall.

Thanks, i'm happier with the turd i have now,lol. I think i came across as a smart a$$ on the original thread, for that i apologize, because i'm not. I just don't need all of the bell's and whistle"s so to speak for the kind of music i like and who knows maybe i will go with a different amp down the road.
Yeah, like a person with an Affinity Squier being a "Fender man". Sorry for the jokes, but it's a bit funny.

Glad you like the Marshall better. Most people wouldn't even compare a Crate (beginner/budget/starter amp) to any Marshall for that matter. Not trying to offend anyone, but Crate is a junk/cheap company that tries to make boutique tone at a welfare price, and it ain't never gonna happen. They're pretty much laughed at in the real world of musicians.

In all honesty, I had an AVT at one time, and for what it was, it was a decent sounding amp - for practice or recording. For gigging, those SS's never have the balls or the tone to blast out like that.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz
Yeah, like a person with an Affinity Squier being a "Fender man". Sorry for the jokes, but it's a bit funny.

Glad you like the Marshall better. Most people wouldn't even compare a Crate (beginner/budget/starter amp) to any Marshall for that matter. Not trying to offend anyone, but Crate is a junk/cheap company that tries to make boutique tone at a welfare price, and it ain't never gonna happen. They're pretty much laughed at in the real world of musicians.

In all honesty, I had an AVT at one time, and for what it was, it was a decent sounding amp - for practice or recording. For gigging, those SS's never have the balls or the tone to blast out like that.

Point taken
Quote by OhioSlashFan
I knew mg's werent top of the line when i bought it, but after a month and a half of screwing with the crate i wanted something different. I was shown a few different ones, but i dont need a bunch of gadgets and effects. I like some new music, mainly classic rock. From the time i plugged my guitar in and a few adjustments this marshall is working out so far. You may be right, when i get to the point where i know what i'm talking about maybe i will get something different. I do know that what i paid for the marshall i couldn't get a decent (more than 15 watts) tube amp. Although i've never played on a tube amp i'm told that the sound is louder than the watt's?

not to be an ass or anything but if you do get an MG, it'll be good if it is tweaked right.. because some people get crap gear like this dude down my road has the just the worst tone I've ever heard straight up and he thinks it sounds good..
I have proof that it's the worst tone too by videos on his myspace
but yeah, like on musiciansfriend they had sound clips and it really wasn't all that bad like how I hear it in videos and such.
Quote by TechnicolorType
not to be an ass or anything but if you do get an MG, it'll be good if it is tweaked right.. because some people get crap gear like this dude down my road has the just the worst tone I've ever heard straight up and he thinks it sounds good..
but yeah, like on musiciansfriend they had sound clips and it really wasn't all that bad like how I hear it in videos and such.

I did get the MG and i think for the type of music i like it should be ok. The two links you posted i did check out, the one with the marshall didn't sound good at all and the second one was really messed up. Maybe as i get more experienced i'll check out other amps, but once again i'm happy with the marshall for now.
Quote by TechnicolorType
rofl a marshall man?

it's so annoying when people that probably don't know much about tone or guitars are like OMG MARSHALL

seriously, you're not a marshall man for playing an MG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T0nx8oTV90
go to 2 minutes
marshalls shouldn't sound like that.

Let's run through this. He is right, 'shouldn't sound like this' make that your preference. I might say they should sound like that. Now I don't have taste in that guys tone nor that tone the least, but that was an opinion. I highly believe in the rich saturation marshall tube amps give, but you guys obviously never heard of Tube EQ's. Check out the one by EHX. I use a Tube Works Tube EQ pedal that takes 1 12ax7 and it made my hi gain stack sound like a tube stack just by that pedal. If that man knew how to play and EQ his amp and added a tube pedal it would sound deliche! Plus just look at how he played his guitar, he looked like he just started. Anyone can make any amp sound good if they're a great player/techy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaSM-TMvOZU

Point proven.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Last edited by Leat at May 28, 2008,
Quote by TechnicolorType

link please?
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by OhioSlashFan
although the LOUDER the better.

You Have a Lot to Learn
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Go to netmusicans.org first. Then find sound clips of the JCM 800. That is Marshall tone.
Gibson.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
You Have a Lot to Learn

Let me redo the orig. post, i now realize i should have said " I traded my Crate GTD120 for a MarshallMG250DFX and i like the marshall alot better". Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes so to speak, once again i apologize. What i meant by the louder the better was one of the problems i had with the Crate. With the Marshall the volume is on 3, guitar 3-4 and a huge difference. I know the Marshall has more watts, i guess it boils down to i like the Marshall better. If i ever post anything again i will definately think about how i write the post, my fault
Last edited by OhioSlashFan at May 28, 2008,
well TS, congrats on your new amp. if it suites you well, does everything you need it to do, and sounds good to you, than you made a great choice. I wish other people would not flame you just because they dont like your amp. all that will EVER matter is that YOU like your equipment. so keep playing, and keep having fun. thats what matters.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by TechnicolorType
that's because tube amps sound like ass when you play them at whisper volume lulz

Mabye your shoddily designed mass produced signal choking PCB-filled amp tube amp does. Just a thought. Not all tube amps sound "like ass" at low volume.

Chea_man, you should join the group in my sig. We need people like you.
Last edited by the.spine.surfs at May 28, 2008,
Yea my fender sounds awesome at low volumes, it surprised me actually. 40 watts, 2x10 I never saw that coming. Then I was.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Mabye your shoddily designed maced produced signal choking PCB-filled amp tube amp does. Just a thought. Not all tube amps sound "like ass" at low volume.

Chea_man, you should join the group in my sig. We need people like you.

thanks for the invite. i just joined it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
well TS, congrats on your new amp. if it suites you well, does everything you need it to do, and sounds good to you, than you made a great choice. I wish other people would not flame you just because they dont like your amp. all that will EVER matter is that YOU like your equipment. so keep playing, and keep having fun. thats what matters.

Thanks Chea_Man
Quote by OhioSlashFan
Thanks Chea_Man

your welcome.
us ohio guys have to stick together.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by dgonz

not true.
new crates suck,older TUBE crates are good.randy rhoads played a crate blue voodoo for a while.the crate palominos are al,so good....
some people dont have the money for a mesa man.

thread starter:if you like your amp and it inspires you to play they good!thats all that matters.
Congrats on your amp OhioSlashFan....

Have a blast with it. The truth is that noone can truly know what they like or don't like without 1st hand experience with it....

I've been through so many amps over the last decade, and some of them were REALLY
sh!tty... But I don't regret owning even one of them.

They've all been fun, and let me get my chops out. I don't consider the MG or the Line 6 spider amps trash... As chea said it's all about what makes you happy when you play. Non of these haters are the ones plugging into your rig, so screw em. I've heard a lot of "lacking"(to be nice) sound clips on profiles from self proclaimed "tone gurus" here... Rock on man
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
Congrats on your amp OhioSlashFan....

Have a blast with it. The truth is that noone can truly know what they like or don't like without 1st hand experience with it....

I've been through so many amps over the last decade, and some of them were REALLY
sh!tty... But I don't regret owning even one of them.

They've all been fun, and let me get my chops out. I don't consider the MG or the Line 6 spider amps trash... As chea said it's all about what makes you happy when you play. Non of these haters are the ones plugging into your rig, so screw em. I've heard a lot of "lacking"(to be nice) sound clips on profiles from self proclaimed "tone gurus" here... Rock on man

Thanks i will, now if i can just get rid of the pick scratches on my guitar, lol
Page 1 of 2