Is it normal that your stop-tail on your Gibson falls off when there are no strings on the guitar. Should it be adjusted to stay on or not?
ok, thanks. Does adjusting the stop-bar make much of a difference at all?
One of my epis came with a stop bar with little spring clips so the stop bar doesnt fall off. Strange how my more expensive epi LP standard came with the one that falls off. But the cheaper LP100 came with the one that doesnt. Never seen an aftermarket one that didnt fall off.
Quote by Tackleberry
One of my epis came with a stop bar with little spring clips so the stop bar doesnt fall off. Strange how my more expensive epi LP standard came with the one that falls off. But the cheaper LP100 came with the one that doesnt. Never seen an aftermarket one that didnt fall off.
That's the age probably. Newer Epis have the 'locktone' stopbar that always stays on, older ones have the basic Gibson one which comes off. They claim the new locktone stopbar increases sustain by about 20%, but I can't say I notice a huge difference.

As for adjusting it, raising/lowering it can change string tension slightly and adjust tuning stability, as well as string wear. Generally though the changes are so small, you won't notice any difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.