Should I buy the Squier Vintage Modified SSS, the Squier Deluxe Strat, or the Squier Vintage Modified HSS guitar? I'm not going to be playing very metal or probably any metal at all. Probably just classic rock, with some alternative in there. I want a guitar with decent sustain because I would like to play Cliffs of Dover and also a guitar good for Canon Rock since I love those songs. Here are the links.

Squier VM SSS

Squier Deluxe

Squier VM HSS
how long have you been playing? if your a beginner, i say go with the Squire VM HSS. if your not a beginner, save up for something a bit better.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
If I were you, I would save up a $100 more bucks for MIM strat
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Quote by FMNStratGuy

If I were you, I'd save up for a Fender Strat FR.
Blarghuh Highum Doogin

Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.
Quote by bjovi400
how long have you been playing? if your a beginner, i say go with the Squire VM HSS. if your not a beginner, save up for something a bit better.

I'm a beginner. I was going to get a MIM Strat, but my dad lowered my budget because of something that happened recently. I can't get a job either.
Vm Hss.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Vm Hss.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yes. THe pickup type doesn't affect sustain much, unless it's 3 super-high output humbuckers (like the duncan invader) adjusted way too close to the strings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by FMNStratGuy

could not agree more!
Quote by gtwosaints
And as for the amp, would a Roland Microcube or Vox AD15VT suit me?

+1 to the Vox.. especially for the Music Tones you named..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
^+2 The Vox is just perfect and will last you for a few years til you move up and upgrade your gear.
It's not that personal. It's just that another hobby of mine that I will start before I begin guitar, airbrushing, is also requiring some money. My dad told me if I want to do airbrushing, I have to make a budget cut, so yeah. I'm probably going to add any money I get from airbrushing to the guitar budget so I'm probably going to go for the following equipment:

Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
Strings
String Cutter
Some Cable (Don't know which yet)
Picks (I was thinking the Jazz 3s and the Dunlop Tortex picks)
And a tuner.
Squier vintage modifed Telecaster SH. FTW.

/thread.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by gtwosaints
I'm a beginner. I was going to get a MIM Strat, but my dad lowered my budget because of something that happened recently. I can't get a job either.

ok so like what i said, go with the gun metal grey Squire VM HSS. it'll be a pretty decent ax for u.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
did you post a thread a while ago asking if you should start playing guitar? I remember reading a thread about someone asking if they should start playing guitar or buy an airbrushing kit or something. I think the budget was a bit higher than a Squire, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Ok, yes that is you. I just checked the list of threads you started. You've been thinking about what guitar to get for a while now. Waaaaay to long. My advice: Pick a guitar that you think will suit your purposes, and buy it. A squier, fat strat, yamaha, ibanez, whatever, it sould have a humbucker or 2, and a single coil or two as well. Or buy something used for cheap. I have a Yamaha RGX-121d. It was quite obviously designed for metal, which I don't normally listen to. But it is a good guitar nonetheless, and I can play any genre of music I want. I am only limited by my talents. I can play jazz, classic rock, punk, blues, anything. And I bought it and a 15 watt Peavey amp for $175 used. I could have waited a few months, saved up money and found the exact perfect guitar, but it wouldn't have helped me at all in regards to learning how to play. Just look on Craigslist for someone selling something for really cheap that is in your price range. Though you may not get the guitar colour of your choice, you could get a $600 guitar for $250. Just last week I saw someone selling a $300 '70s strat copy for $20 because they didn't know what it was worth.

tl;dr: buy something, and you wont regret it. I can tell you've done enough research that you know what you want to buy. And if you're not 100% sure, but think it is what you want, buy it. If you second guess yourself you will never buy a guitar, you'll just keep looking for "the perfect guitar"
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Last edited by skvvisgaar at May 28, 2008,