Page 1 of 2
Making the move to this part of the forum. Been getting great information on the Acoustic side but wanted to get you guys input.

My 10yr old son is really interested in playing an electric guitar. He's never played before. I've been told by many different people that starting off with an acoustic and learning the basics is the way to go..

He like rock, soft rock, some 80's and country. Groups like AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Guns N' Roses and the latest out on the radio. Country hits from Rodney Atkins and Craig Morgan.

My budget is around $200. I don't want to spend any more just to have it sit in the closet if he gets discouraged.

What's you take on this, is starting acoustic the way to go in you opinion? Is there a steep learning curve starting with electric?

Please post your experiences, would like you get you point of view..

Thanks in advance,

Joe
I'd say it's easier to start learning on electric, however, more rewarding to start on acoustic.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Electric would be easier, I started off with electric.
Since he's 10 years old, an acoustic is pretty fat and he'd have to "climb" over it with his arms to fret, even strum. Electric on the other hand is sort of versatile in size compared to it. It may be heavy at first for him but he can work with it.
Any starter Ibanez set or Yamaha, Robson would do fine. Most come with the guitar, amp, strap, patch cable and a few picks. All under 200$ for sure, make sure it's a starter you're getting!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
God help his soul if he listens to the radio.

...Just kidding

I'd say there's a steeper learning curve for the acoustic, honestly. I started on the electric, and I learned just fine. Although, starting on the acoustic would probably make it a little easier when switching to the electric, but eh. As for a beginner guitar, maybe an Ibanez (any brand, really, they're all the same...) starter pack? Most run for about $200. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

If you end up getting him started on guitar, don't let him quit

EDIT: ^good point also, about the size of an acoustic. They are pretty big for a 10 yr. old. I had trouble holding one when I was 12 haha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
yeah an acoustic would be hard for a small child
i would start out electric
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
a lot of teachers and older guys will tell you to start him off on acoustic. they say, it'll build finger strength faster.

here's the thing.

if you want a 10yr old to actually be into Learning how to play, you will want to get him a guitar that helps him to sound like the style of music he listens too.

learning to play cockles and muscles on acoustic wont cut it.

buy him a 2 humbucker fixed bridge ibanez or a cheaper $99 dean and a micro cube. and let him learn playing hard rock, and some country.

the cube is a must. it has effects built in, and it's perfect size for a starter at $125.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

this is what i would recommend. all my friends and myself have started out with some form of beginner pack (although not this exact one) and it really is all you need to get started. hopefully he wont get discouraged but if he does you can always sell it at a yardsale and make back a hundred bucks or so. but try and keep him motivated!
^the problem with starter packs is the amp.

wouldnt it have been better to be able to sample 8 or so effects with the flick of a switch?

http://www.music123.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-481169-i1175936.Music123?source=ZWWRWXGB
plus that's an SSS, his kid seems to like hard rock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

From what I understand, any low buck electric with micro cube should be ok. What I mean is electric between $100 and $150 are pretty much the same, correct?
Yeah, don't expect anything amazing. I'm not sure, but if you can, maybe get an Ibanez Mikro? It's like a smaller scaled guitar for smaller hands. Not sure how much they go for, though.
Agile Al-2000 with a micro cube.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Yeah definitely get him the micro cube. As for guitars, try this one. I haven't played it personally but everybody and their brother seems to think iit's the best guitar under $200.
yea most guitars from 100-200$ are going to be about the same quality, its a matter of preference, which is something imporant for a 10 year old.

Being older I play my acoustic, I love my electric, but I play to help finger strength really... But for someone as young as 10... if he was anything like me... if I didn't enjoy it I didn't want to do it haha.

If he is in the band's that you suggested and that young, I would definately suggest going electric. The most important thing for him is to enjoy it and want to play the songs that he loves. thats the only way he will stick with it.

When you are just started out it really doesn't matter if you start on a really expensive guitar or a really cheap one (minus the wow factor and seeing a 2000$ custom shop gibson on a wall does scream "PLAY ME!!").

But the most important thing for sound is the amp. Like everyone said, a microcube would be great. Also a vox would suit him well to. And with a bunch of built in effects your not going to have to lay down hundreds of dollars on new pedals to get the sound that he wants (haha well not for a while anyways haha)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

as for the guitar...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=511276
The thing about strats is that they are very versatile. Can play many different types of music well. But for a more versatile strat a HSS (a humbucker with two single coils... just in case you didn't know hah) one would be even better...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-FSR-Standard-Olympic-White-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=513753
this actually looks like a decent deal, marked off... but make sure the guitar is something that your son thinks is really cool... even if its a cheap SG model... thinking your guitar is the coolest in the world regardless if its made out of plywood always drives someone to want to get better
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SGSpecial-Electric-Guitar?sku=517239

like i said theres a lot of different models you can get. But in my opinion, like i said, its really important for a 10 year old to think it looks cool. I didn't start playing till i was 18, I wish I started before that
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at May 27, 2008,
I think this would be a great choice for a guitar. It's excellent for the price and it's super light. I doubt it weighs more than 5 pounds.
Id say Micro cube for an amp. ANd like those micro ibanez fixed bridge guitars so its the right size.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I started out on an acoustic, and it worked for me better, IMO. I got my callouses faster and stronger, and also made me think more about actual playing then just effects and distortion. (I hope this makes sense) Basically, it helped me focus on what I was doing with my fingers, then what I was doing with my feet.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Although one popular line of thinking encourages starting on the acoustic "because it's initially harder so the switch over to electric should be easier," I think it's silly to begin learning on the acoustic if your son's goal is to play electric.

Bottom Line Up Front: If your son wants to play acoustic, have him start learning on an acoustic. If your son wants to play electric, have him start learning on the electric.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
If he wants to learn ACDC and songs on the radio, an electric guitar will inspire him much more than an acoustic would.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
One thing to consider, is that an electric is very quiet when unplugged. Having the ability for him to practice unplugged will help keep others in the house sane.
Quote by Jim85IROC
One thing to consider, is that an electric is very quiet when unplugged. Having the ability for him to practice unplugged will help keep others in the house sane.

That's why the rock gods invented headphones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
That's why the rock gods invented headphones.

Not for acoustics they didn't.
Quote by Jim85IROC
Not for acoustics they didn't.

That was kinda pedantic. I obviously meant if he went electric.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by acoustic-fan
From what I understand, any low buck electric with micro cube should be ok. What I mean is electric between $100 and $150 are pretty much the same, correct?

Yeah, but that dean looks nice.

Definitely start him on an electric, because although "some people" may say an acoustic is better to start on, if he doesn't like the instrument he'll give up. If he wants to play rock then an electric is your best bet. Probably something HSS for versatility. I'm assuming your not a player so by HSS, I mean something that has a humbucker (a big pickup that looks like two pickups small stuck together) next to the bridge and a single coil (a small one/looks like half a big one) in the middle and neck.

Thanks guys for your input. I'll be getting an electric this weekend, just have to research which one he likes. Maybe that dean, I was looking at that one last night.

If you guys have more advise, please let me know.

He's going to be happy we're going to start with electric.
i started on acoustic.....but i believe is better for him to start off in an electric guitar....hes young and he gonna get it fast....also...i recommend you getting your son and epiphone ....they cheap and pretty cool guitars....and ibanez would work too.....
Quote by jj1565
a lot of teachers and older guys will tell you to start him off on acoustic. they say, it'll build finger strength faster.

here's the thing.

if you want a 10yr old to actually be into Learning how to play, you will want to get him a guitar that helps him to sound like the style of music he listens too.

buy him a 2 humbucker fixed bridge ibanez or a cheaper $99 dean and a micro cube. and let him learn playing hard rock, and some country.

the cube is a must. it has effects built in, and it's perfect size for a starter at $125.

+ 1 billion.

just because learning an acoustic is, to some old beard-strokers, more "academically rigorous" (and that's debatable), doesn't mean it'll encourage your son to play more. What will encourage him most is letting him play the music he wants. He might actually stick with it if he's allowed to do that. He needs an electric setup for that.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by acoustic-fan

He's going to be happy we're going to start with electric.

Well, that's all you need to go with. I know sometimes we have to guide our children, but in this case, it really makes sense to go with his desires. If he really gets in to it, in a few years time he could pick up an acoustic. One of my oldest friends started with trumpet, and when he was around 12 got a crappy starter set. He's now a virtuoso, an elementary school music teacher, has nearly a dozen private students in both trumpet and guitar, and is going to Peabody Conservatory. He still finds time to play in a classic rock cover band. And among his guitars he has two acoustics, one regular and one classical. He never even got his own acoustic until he was about 19. He did okay for himself, I'd say.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
to add, when i started playing guitar i already played piano and drums, and if someone had forced me to take up acoustic instead of electric (when i wanted to play electric), i'd have probably thrown in the towel.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The inexpesnive Dean as well as the Microcube is one of the best suggestions you're going to get anywhere.

I've given one of those Deans to a friend and they've since even been practicing more (young child learning on an acoustic) and has gotten more excited and interested in learning now that he has something to use that fits the music he likes to play.

The other thing to consider is lessons. Are you going to teach him or are you going to take him to lessons? At that age, although theory is always good to learn, I think it's more important to find a teacher willing to simply teach him how to play a few songs he likes. The interest will stay and continue that way, while most people will admit, theory is immensely boring.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm planning on him getting lessons, the challenge is finding a good one in my area. We live in Miami Gardens, so if any of you know someone in the area please let me know.

As for purchasing the guitar, what's you thoughts of Sam Ash or Guitar Center? Or do you thing I'll get a better deal buying on the internet?

Sam Ash experience.....Sorry for the rant....

My only experience with Sam Ash was yesterday. An employee told us on Thursday that they were going to have a big sale on Memorial Day but they were not advertising it. My son and I went Monday afternoon looking for the sale and an acoustic. The same employee indicated the sale was for puchases of $400...

Then he indicated that there was an acoustic in the storeroom that was not on display. It was an Epiphone AJ-100, he said it goes for $200 but was on sale for $150. I was very close to buying it but said I'll return when ready. Go home, search the SA website and the same guitar goes for $119..that just convinced me to not buy from them.

Which online vendor do you suggest I try? Do you have any preference? I still have to check GC..

Thanks again...

Joe
i usually use musiciansfriend or music123

they are all big corporations, but at least online you know you dont have to haggle with a sales guy who doesnt get paid enough.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Go guitar center, as far as I know Musiciansfriend bought it over, so any price you see on their site can be used to whine down the price in GC. I would deffo get the dean and micro set your kids gonna LOVE it. I hope he enjoys his playing and becomes a good musician.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Im going to have to agree with Jenny on this, MicroCube and NON STARTER PACK Ibanez Fixed Bridge Guitar will fit your Son great. i personally started on Acoustic, and i didnt notice any Difference between me and my friend who started on electric.
START ON ACOUSTIC
everyone i know thats started on electric sounds like total crap.
on an acoustic you learn better form, learn to sound chords better, and become an all around better player.
thats my 2 cents
cheers
Quote by jj1565

here's the thing.

+1092349820954387569836754368754

Get him whatever he wants to learn on first. I started on an acoustic, and while it can make you stronger it really turned me off from guitar and I almost quit because it was soo much harder for me to learn what I wanted to play on an acoustic. Basically once I got an electric then I started to practice almost non stop because i was having so much fun which is what its all about, right.
Quote by Akridosity
Agile Al-2000 with a micro cube.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Although that would rack up to $300. I REALLY recommend getting a brand new AL-2000 from Rondomusic for around $200. THEN, getting a used Roland Microcube for around $50. A little over the budget but it sounds amazing for the price you'd pay. Much more satisfying sound wise than ANY beginner package for around the same price.
Last edited by |Marco| at May 27, 2008,
Quote by nine01n
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

this is what i would recommend. all my friends and myself have started out with some form of beginner pack (although not this exact one) and it really is all you need to get started. hopefully he wont get discouraged but if he does you can always sell it at a yardsale and make back a hundred bucks or so. but try and keep him motivated!

Yeah, everybody has started with a beginner pack, and everybody had wished they hadn't gotten that pack a year later
Anyways, stay away from the packs and go with a dean vendetta and a used amp.
If you can stretch more than 300, then your item variety will be much increased.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
Again, thanks for your feedback.

We just got back from SA and it Ibanez Mikro fit him very well. Compared to others, he felt really comfortable wth it. We pluged into the Micro Cube along with others and it sound good. I didn't now the micro cube's plus is that it's battery powered.

It seems to cost the same no matter were I check. What other accesories would I need? Strap, electronic tuner, bag and cable. Not sure if I'm missing anything...

Thanks again, we really appreciate it...

Joe
Page 1 of 2