Ok guys...I really need help here. I just bought a 20/40 switchable wattage soldering iron from radio shack. I have some solder and flux.

Right now I'm trying to solder a wire to and output jack but I'm having no luck what so ever. I tried both wattage settings and neither seems to work. I let it heat and then put it on to the tab that I'm trying to solder to. I have the wire (18 AWG BTW) alligator clipped to the tab. I touch the iron to the tab with the tapered surface. When it seems like it should be good and hot (about 30 seconds) I try to apply the solder. It won't flow.

I know not to touch the solder to the iron but have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting really frustrated. Could someone please guide me through the process or at least point out what I'm doing wrong? I'm sorry if I'm doing something really obviously wrong.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
You should let the iron sit for atleast 5 minutes before you use it, and keep it on 40W, since you are using 60/40 solder aren't you?

Apply flux to the area that you want to solder to allow the metal to flow. I just dip my iron into the flux (fumes ftl, ventilate ventilate ventilate!) and then the solder then my item. Works flawlessly.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
I'm not positive that the solder is 60/40 but I would assume so. I got it with a soldering iron a while back that broke. Mkay...I'm gonna try again in a few minutes. So you apply flux to the iron and the other stuff or just the iron? Thanks for such a quick response BTW
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I have that same soldering iron, and its a piece of junk. I only did some minimal jobs with it, and I ended up having to touch the solder to the iron to get it to melt. I would suggest getting a higher watt iron, that's what I did.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
No worries! I'm a solder freak, LOL.
How I do it is I touch the solder and let it melt on my pen, then apply the solder to the material and then solder. Ta da!

Lemme know how it goes!
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
You should tin the tip of the iron with solder so the heat will flow more quickly to what you want to solder.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I just wait like 1-2 minutes, then make the tip of the solder gun touch the tin/lead solder and once i get a nice couple of inches it drips onto the soldering area and wait for it to dry, Then scrape the access solder on it. Works fine with me
Quote by a4lrocker
I touch the iron to the tab with the tapered surface. When it seems like it should be good and hot (about 30 seconds) I try to apply the solder. It won't flow.
if the solder melts but just blobs up instead of flowing on the surface, you need to clean the surface. use some sandpaper or a fine file to grind away the first surface of the tab. then when you heat it, the solder will flow and make an intimate bond with the clean metal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.