I just got an Ibanez GSR200FM (beautiful bass, BTW) last weekend. I was trolling CL and picked up a Hartke VX410 cabinet for $100. It is in decent shape, but now I am looking for a head. This cabinet is rated for 400w at 8 Ohms. I talked to a guy tonight that has an old Peavey that is rated at 300 watts thru 2 ohms and 210 thru 4 ohms.

EDIT: I am not exactly sure what this think is, but it's most likely not a Mark III since he said it was a tube amp head. I will post pics tonight after I get it home...

Since my cabinet is rated at 8 Ohms, I can use this head because my cabinet rated higher than the head in terms of load (Ohms), correct?

I am new to Bass and didn't want to spend a lot of money on this at first.

Edited to add pics...

Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Last edited by deadsmiley at May 27, 2008,
With a Solid State amp, you should be just dandy as long as you don't go under the min. load (2 Ohms).

If it bothers you too much, get a 2x10 that's rated at 8 Ohms and use them both to run your head at 4 Ohms.

Post some picts, yeah.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Oh it doesn't bother me. The guy I talked to tonight said the Peavey was a tube amp, so maybe it's not a Mark III after all???

Pics coming...
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Oh, well if it's a tube head you need to make sure you match the Ohms up right. There should be a switch on the back for those heads.
Epi Gothic Thunderbird
Squier P-Bass w/new pups
Ibanez RG7321
Washburn Acoustic Guitar
SWR LA 12

POD X3 Live $300/500.
Ok, I will check it out tomorrow. He only wants $50 for it so I can't go too wrong, eh?
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
pics added...
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by deadsmiley
Ok, I will check it out tomorrow. He only wants $50 for it so I can't go too wrong, eh?

$50 for a Peavey tube amp? Yes please. I'd jump on that, if it's in any kind of shape. But a tube amp should have an impedence selector on the back, just choose 8 ohm (if running with just that cab). For solid state, you'll be fine if it puts out what you claimed.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
$50 for a Peavey tube amp? Yes please. I'd jump on that, if it's in any kind of shape. But a tube amp should have an impedence selector on the back, just choose 8 ohm (if running with just that cab). For solid state, you'll be fine if it puts out what you claimed.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know what I am looking at (or doing... yet!) and won't see it until tomorrow.

I will post pics after I get it home.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Quote by deadsmiley
... I talked to a guy tonight that has an old Peavey Mark III 400 that is rated at 300 watts thru 2 ohms and 210 thru 4 ohms.

Since my cabinet is rated at 8 Ohms, I can use this head because my cabinet rated higher than the head in terms of load (Ohms), correct?

Impedence doesn't matter much in the case of the Mark III, it's solid-state.
I am not certain that it is a Mark III since he told me it was a tube bass head. I just now edited my original post to reflect that.

I am super curious now though.
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
The reason amps have impedance requirements is because there's a maximum current they can handle. This means they have to have a minimum impedance. You'll be fine as long as you're above that.

I've never heard of a head that can't be used with an 8ohm cab. That's like having butter not compatible with bread.
Yeah, I am slowly figuring this out... new to it all.

I got the amp home after going by Radio Shack to get a fuse holder and some fuses. I plugged it in and it red power light came on and then it went out. The fuse popped.

I took it all apart, looking for something obvious. I got it all back together and then plugged it into my cabinet. I got hum from the amp that was just about normal TV loud before the fuse popped again. The fuses last about 10-15 seconds before they go.

Ah well...

Thanks to everyone that replied!

Here are some pics. It's definitely not a tube amp. Not a single tube in sight when I opened that case up.

Yes, I still have my Christmas lights up... LOL!

Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
And? Does it work?

I'm curious, because I might have heard from somewhere that impedence higher than the highest "noted" impedence (in this case 4 ohms) wouldn't power the cab. Not enough power for it to work properly.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Eh, it pops the fuse whether the cab is connected or not. The fuse only lasts about 10-15 seconds so I don't know if it works or not. I am kinda scared of plugging my bass into that think.

Hey! I could plug in my Affinity Strat! I don't care if I pop that thing...

Edit: Ok, no dice with the Affinity Strat. I think I have a rather large paperweight...
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM
Last edited by deadsmiley at May 28, 2008,
Quote by deadsmiley
Eh, it pops the fuse whether the cab is connected or not. The fuse only lasts about 10-15 seconds so I don't know if it works or not. I am kinda scared of plugging my bass into that think.

FRIENDLY ADVICE: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!!

If it pops a fuse, it means you're circuit is shorting somewhere.
Man... I am old enough to know better. If the guy can't say for certain that it works, don't buy it. <shakes head>
Epiphone G400 Cherry
Ibanez GSA60 Jewel Blue
Jasmine S35
Squire Affinity Strat
Roland Micro Cube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

Ibanez GSR200FM