Alright, I'm pretty confident in buying a multi-effects unit instead of individual pedals.

Any and all equipment I consider buying, is always going to be considered used.

I was looking at rack units for simplicity and quality sakes, but I've heard a few excellent pedals.
I've lost some funds, so my choices (as of now, at least) are:

Rocktron Xpression
TC Electronics G-Sharp
Boss Me-20/Me-50 (whichever one is only effects)

I ONLY WANT EFFECTS, NOT MODELLING (or very little at that)
I'm looking more for quality than quantity, effects wise.

I'd be using it with my Valveking, as well as in conjunction with my Crybaby wah, Bad Monkey, and Fish and Chips.

Can anyone offer some assistance? Offer advice, something?
Last edited by dudey5691 at May 26, 2008,
The G-Sharp is very basic, and only allows for one reverb and one effect at once. For example you cant have reverb + delay + chorus, you'd have to choose between delay or chorus in a particular setting. It lets you have 99 settings. It's still an awesome unit, especially for the price.

The Rocktron is a bit more advanced and if you were going to spend that much you'd be better off with a G-Major.

I've never used the boss so can't comment sorry.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by StriferDiem
The G-Sharp is very basic, and only allows for one reverb and one effect at once. For example you cant have reverb + delay + chorus, you'd have to choose between delay or chorus in a particular setting. It lets you have 99 settings. It's still an awesome unit, especially for the price.

The Rocktron is a bit more advanced and if you were going to spend that much you'd be better off with a G-Major.

I've never used the boss so can't comment sorry.

I always seem to forget something in my posts!

I didn't mention that if I buy anything, it'll be used...and as of now, the G-sharp and the Rocktron are both $100+ cheaper than the G Major, which seems to be surpassing the GC prices on many of the auctions.

Wait, so with the G-sharp, you get a two-effect max for any preset? And you could have reverb-delay, or reverb-chorus, for a certain preset? or is the limitation only for the aforementioned effects?
its hard to get a GOOD multi-effects pedal without modelling...i mean you already have the ME-50, which is basicly the most you can get without modelling
i WOULD suggest the vox tonelab le but it has a shnaz load of modelling
look at the boss gt-10...that thing will make your guitar sound like anything you want it to, it has some modelling but not a lot, the thing i dont like about the gt-10 is it makes your guitar sound processed and digital (my opinion)
i still suggest the tonelab, cuz it makes your guitar sound awesome
its hard to get a GOOD multi-effects pedal without modelling...i mean you already have the ME-50, which is basicly the most you can get without modelling
i WOULD suggest the vox tonelab le but it has a shnaz load of modelling
look at the boss gt-10...that thing will make your guitar sound like anything you want it to, it has some modelling but not a lot, the thing i dont like about the gt-10 is it makes your guitar sound processed and digital (my opinion)
i still suggest the tonelab, cuz it makes your guitar sound awesome

I don't have the ME-50...
The GT-10 is completely out of the question, it's easily $100 more than the G-major, which I cannot afford used even!

The Tonelab would be good for some decent versatility, but the Rocktron Xpression and G-sharp both surpass it in quality and price. It's still got way too many modelling options, and from Harmony-central reviews, after those are turned off the tone goes to ****.

I'm really looking more for several QUALITY effects in one unit, instead of hundreds of effects piled on that completely obliterate any tone I thought I had.
TBH if you're looking for quality over quantity, Multi-fx are probably not your best bet.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by Nocomment
TBH if you're looking for quality over quantity, Multi-fx are probably not your best bet.

In pedal cases, yes...the particular units I am looking at though, on the the other hand, compete well above several "good" pedals in a chain. The units I said have been known to not (or very subtly) color tone, whereas individual pedals would do that indiscriminately without the proper setup.

Not to sound rude, I see your point. But given my budget (or soon to be budget, really)...I cannot afford the several effects in individual pedals, or the premium cables that would keep tone loss to a minimum. Not to mention, the feedback is going to be unbearable with even the true bypass pedals hooked up through high gain.

**I'm going to bed, so if anyone wants to leave anything...i'll respond tomorrow during school.
Last edited by dudey5691 at May 27, 2008,
well...since no one has brought it up, I've been pretty happy with my Digitech RP250 for $150 dollars. True, it has Presets which have lots of different effects layered on top but you can use their software to turn things on and off or up and down.

Otherwise, I believe the RP500 has 4 or 5 stomp switches that are specific to a certain effects. Delay, Compression, Flange, Disti if I remember correctly.

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well...since no one has brought it up, I've been pretty happy with my Digitech RP250 for $150 dollars. True, it has Presets which have lots of different effects layered on top but you can use their software to turn things on and off or up and down.

Otherwise, I believe the RP500 has 4 or 5 stomp switches that are specific to a certain effects. Delay, Compression, Flange, Disti if I remember correctly.

;

I have the RP80, and it has a substantial amount of tone loss, not to mention it's only halfway decent.

Now I'm not certain, but since it's basically two [small] steps up from the RP80, I'd presume that it has less, but just as bad tone loss. Although, I could be wrong.
Quote by yoyodunno
Hey man i'm in a similar situation as u and this is prolly what i'm gonna get. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-AX3000G-Guitar-Floor-ModelerEffects-Pedal?sku=152177

That has amp modeling...and it's pretty sucky too.

Honestly, dude, you've shot down everyone's suggestions, if you're so sure of what you want, why not just go for it?
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Honestly, dude, you've shot down everyone's suggestions, if you're so sure of what you want, why not just go for it?

I've heard better things about the AX1500G than the AX3000G, so I'll agree with you there.

That's just it: I'M NOT SURE OF WHAT I WANT!
I have only "shot down" the two suggestions that were given because I knew that they were either completely out of my price range, or that I know they would suck my tone substantially.

If racks are the only thing that offer low modeling numbers, and some quality effects, so be it that people suggest those...but if people are suggesting things that I know wouldn't fit, there's nothing I can do other than deny them.

StriferDiem, would you say the G Sharp is good for live use?
just get the ME-50...its probably your best bet
Last edited by the elefant at May 27, 2008,
Quote by dudey5691
I always seem to forget something in my posts!

I didn't mention that if I buy anything, it'll be used...and as of now, the G-sharp and the Rocktron are both $100+ cheaper than the G Major, which seems to be surpassing the GC prices on many of the auctions.

Wait, so with the G-sharp, you get a two-effect max for any preset? And you could have reverb-delay, or reverb-chorus, for a certain preset? or is the limitation only for the aforementioned effects?

Yeah mate, the G-Sharp only lets you have Reverb + effect (delay/phase/chorus/everything else). It's a solid rack unit that doesn't take much tweaking, and all the nobs are on the unit so you don't have to go through LCD displays. Personally I loved its simplicity. In the end I went with the G-major as it was used for an amazing price + had a tuner.

I'm not sure about the Rocktron but it may allow for more effects to be run at any one time, which may or may not suite your needs better.
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by StriferDiem
Yeah mate, the G-Sharp only lets you have Reverb + effect (delay/phase/chorus/everything else). It's a solid rack unit that doesn't take much tweaking, and all the nobs are on the unit so you don't have to go through LCD displays. Personally I loved its simplicity. In the end I went with the G-major as it was used for an amazing price + had a tuner.

I'm not sure about the Rocktron but it may allow for more effects to be run at any one time, which may or may not suite your needs better.

alright, thanks for the help.

That cleared up some problems I had because I may need to have several effects going at once for the style of music I play.
I've got the ME-50. It's not modelling at all, just effects. It's an effects processor. It's easy as hell to use, seeing as all you need to be able to do is turn some knobs and stomp some pedals, which anybody can do. It's just about the most user-friendly MFX i've seen, and the tones are awesome. You'll need to tweak around to find the best possible tones and effects combinations, but it's real easy to use.

EDIT: As for number effects possible at once... it allows you to use one modulation, one distortion, and one delay at at time, along with one expression effect. The expression pedal also acts like a volume, but not both at once. You can also use reverb, compressor, noise supressor and a tone mod at the same time as the aforementioned effects. It also has a headphone jack, direct-out, left (mono) and right outputs.

The ME-20 is just a lesser version of the ME-50, from what I know. It has fewer effects and options. I don't know how it sounds compared to the ME-50. Also, each distortion is like 2 distortions, because there's the variation switch, so effectively you're getting 22 distortion options.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Last edited by E V H 5150 at May 27, 2008,
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Can you tell me why its sucky? I really want to know because its been the main mfx that i've been considering, and if you have any other suggestions that would help I would appreciate it if you could give me them.
You could always wait for that new Line 6 board. It's got delay/mod/distortion/verb in a true bypass stomp box format - no modeling at all. It also lets you route the effects around your preamp which is a +++

It's not out yet but might be what you're looking for.

And I just read your earlier question, yes the G-Sharp is amazing live because it's so easy to make minor adjustments.
TC Electronics G Major
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

and FYI - I'm not saying the RP250 is any better then the rest but the AudioDNA chip that is in there is the same one used in RP500. Not sure about the lower end models. Am I completely satisfied and thrilled with RP250? No. Does it have decent sounds, amp choices, and easy software effect changes - Yes.

You find a Preset that you like and then turn things up and down till desired and then SAVE.

just my last 2 cents before i leave for vaca

;
Quote by StriferDiem
You could always wait for that new Line 6 board. It's got delay/mod/distortion/verb in a true bypass stomp box format - no modeling at all. It also lets you route the effects around your preamp which is a +++

It's not out yet but might be what you're looking for.

And I just read your earlier question, yes the G-Sharp is amazing live because it's so easy to make minor adjustments.

I heard about that a few months back...any idea when it's coming out? and the price it'll start at?

Alright, but I think I'm going to dismiss the G-sharp for right now, just because of the effect limitations...it might be back up soon though.