Alright UGer's, I need help. For my new purchase I can't decide between the Classic series Baja (blonde) and the Highway 1 Texas (honey blonde). If anyone has played or owns either of these awesome guitars I would be grateful for any insights and wisdom. They both have ash bodies (perfect for tele's) and are about the same price, it's just a few of the specs that are causing issues.
Pros & Cons;
Texas - love the finish and the greasebucket, not sure about the neck as I haven't been able to play the Texas yet (apparently it has a 52 profile, which I love), just the highway 1 standard (has the modern C shape, which I'm not a fan of). Does the texas have the greasebucket?
Baja - love the soft V neck, really love the neck...but don't like the thick finish. Not sure about the longevity of the MIM S1 switching system, but I do like the tonal variety!

Maybe I should get the classic 50's tele?!?!?!

^That would be nice but from the sound of things it's way out of his price range.

Anyways I don't see why the Texas wouldn't have the Greasebucket if it's still a Highway 1 model. How about you e-mail Fender and see if it does? And I agree, the 52 necks usually feel just great (I love the one on the Hot Rodded 52 Tele).
Quote by Wakisazhi
^That would be nice but from the sound of things it's way out of his price range.

Anyways I don't see why the Texas wouldn't have the Greasebucket if it's still a Highway 1 model. How about you e-mail Fender and see if it does? And I agree, the 52 necks usually feel just great (I love the one on the Hot Rodded 52 Tele).
Yes, it has it.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=guitars&cat=telecaster

Last edited by Ippon at May 26, 2008,
I tried a highway one and boy, was I surprised! For 600$, it played like it was worth 2 times more! Get one, you wont be disappointed!
are you in the USA? that'll affect prices and relative value more than anything else...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No I'm in aus, so unfortunately both these guitars are considerably more than $1000
ah, ok, sorry. i think you get quite a lot of japanese copies there, though? might be worth looking into japanese-made tokais and edwardses (and other things like grecos etc.). might work out better value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Any questions about the Classic 50? I have it, and it's straightforward and simple, and absolutely killer. The one thing about it that made it stand out from the rest was the thick neck lacquer. It's super smooth and feels sooo comfortable.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yeah there are a few copies about, but nothing beats the real thing right? money is not really that much of an issue....if i'm going to spend the money, i'll spend it right and get what i want first time round (theoretically...i'd be 100 before i could save up for the 52 hot rod!)
Sid McCall, only thing about the 50's is the neck profile. I really can't stand the modern C necks, so if the 50's has that awesome U profile (like, from the 50's) that would be sweet. And does it have the usual muddiness when you roll off the tone? That's why i was interested in the highway models
the baja one is badass... and really when it comes to the highway one fenders, either way its made by mexicans, one is just made in mexico and the other in southern california
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by kinada
yeah there are a few copies about, but nothing beats the real thing right? money is not really that much of an issue....if i'm going to spend the money, i'll spend it right and get what i want first time round (theoretically...i'd be 100 before i could save up for the 52 hot rod!)

i've played plenty of japanese copies which are better than the "real thing".

unless by real thing you mean "pre-CBS Fender"... but assuming you mean modern fender models, i'd take an MIJ tokai over a standard american tele... depends what you're after of course. they aren't really like a direct comparison, as those tokais are generally pretty vintage-style, while an american standard (or highway one) is more of a modern take on a tele...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fair call about 'the real thing' Dave, I've heard a lot of great things about Japanese-made instruments (my yamaha acoustic is definetly a cut abbove the rest in it's price range)...but there's a lot to be said for brand recognition, and after dreaming of the telecaster for so long, well, something that says Tokai (or whatever) just wouldn't satisfy
that's fair enough and your call, of course. just as long as you realise that you might be paying more for the name, and are fine with that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?