I've been cooped up for the past 9 months in my college dorm room, and since summer is finally here and I'll have some extra cash I'm going to do what any sensible musician would do and spend it on gear!!

I've got a couple things in mind, I want to change the pickups in my 72' telecaster deluxe. (I'm thinking turning her active with an EMG 81/60 set) And I have also been considering installing a Fender Bigsby on it as well.

My question is on which pedal to get? My friend recently purchased an Ibanez TS9 which I like; but I've been hearing some say the TS808 is better. Other's claim to like the MXR M-115 better. I want a nice overdrive/distortion. Something that can range from classic Rock, (Van Halen, AC/DC, etc.) to modern Rock (Underoath, Black Tide, Senses Fail, etc.)

Also; I have an offer to buy a Fender FM100 head for an amazingly low price. I don't have a large gigging amp yet and had the initial mindset to save up and buy something for the long-term. Would it be worth it to buy this head (for around $125) and buy a good cab and eventually upgrade, or should I just wait?

Finally, when it comes to cabinets ... avatar cabs seem to be a great deal, especially with the ability to select which speakers you want! Are they good cabs? Can anyone recommend which speakers to get in them, which voicing do you like? I was considering two vintage 30's and two G12T75s.

Like I said, I play all types of rock ... from classic to modern with even some blues in the mix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance!!
Sounds like you could go with a Classic 50 combo. You wont be needing a head and cab for a long while and a good combo will sound better than a low budget half stack. Also i think the Ts808's are a little warmer and not as hot as the TS9's. I believe stevie ray Vaghaun used 2 in sucession to get his tone but either way they are good overdrives but get a nice distortion as well.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Well preferably the TS-808 IS better than the TS-9, better chip that creates the overdrive or some junk like that, it just sounds more.... real and warmer, however it is MUCH more costly, so you have to decide if it's worth the extra money, it was for me but that's because I'm going to be using it around the clock because my 85 watt fender has no natural gain until it's almost at 10 however I'm never going to be using that much volume.

Quote by LaGrange
Sounds like you could go with a Classic 50 combo. You wont be needing a head and cab for a long while and a good combo will sound better than a low budget half stack. Also i think the Ts808's are a little warmer and not as hot as the TS9's. I believe stevie ray Vaghaun used 2 in sucession to get his tone but either way they are good overdrives but get a nice distortion as well.

Yeah that's pretty intense, I think he used one for his rhythm and one for his lead
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at May 26, 2008,
ya, classic 50 would be good. i don't know about the emg's though. they seem to be a little too...empty/sterile...in my opinion. i think you would be better to get some good passive ones instead. a TS-9 or TS808 would be good. i've heard the BBE Greenscreamer is very similar and is a bit cheaper. or the Maxon version. just listen to what your ears tell you.
a modded ts7 to ts808 specs would save you even more cash, if you were willing to find one.

And I agree with LaGrange about the Classic 50, it's a pretty versatile amp, although if by modern you mean modern metal, you may have some trouble without some boost and EQ.

I could be wrong though...

EDIT: Just noticed the band names, and it should play those fine. Although, I'd still suggest a good EQ sometime in the future. Maybe also invest in a noise suppressor since there probably will be a bit of feedback.
Last edited by dudey5691 at May 26, 2008,
Quote by AthenasGhost
Yeah that's pretty intense, I think he used one for his rhythm and one for his lead

Yeah, I think it went 1 TS for rhythm and both for leads.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--