Obviously bending notes on an acoustic is much harder than on an electric but for those of you with a great deal of experience, is this something that you have just given up on? When I say that I mean, if you're trying to solo/improv/whatever, do you just give up on the full bends (aside from maybe the B string)?
Let me add one more thing: I'm a fan of doing acoustic versions of songs that are meant for an electric. Do those of you that do the same just use hammers and slides or what?
I can get a reasonable 2 step bend across the neck, obviously harder to bend at some spots (close to the nut).

If you're playing songs for electric on acoustic with beefy bends, why not either just slide (say, instead of 7b10, you'd do 7/10) or a combination (same example, but do 7/9b10). It'll sound acceptable.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
If you're playing songs for electric on acoustic with beefy bends, why not either just slide (say, instead of 7b10, you'd do 7/10) or a combination (same example, but do 7/9b10). It'll sound acceptable.

Agreed. Or a hammer on.
Strings are a bit heavier, but your hands have to build up to play them. I never "give up" on stuff like that. Something hard just makes me "have" to do it more, so I can accomplish something.

Keep playing it. Unless you had perpetual girly, gardening hands, you'll get it down.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
I've been playing for about two years and I play all the time so I would imagine that I'm decently advanced for someone with my level of experience.

I actually went back and messed around with the bends after reading the replies. It's easy enough to get a full bend on the low E, A, D, and B. I find that on the other strings, I'm running into the other strings to the point where my fingers are either going under the other strings making getting all the way there very awkward, or the string is going under my fingernail making it not just awkward but pretty damn uncomfortable.

And to go off topic - if I can play this (and I can't quite yet) how would that be for having played two years?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3loMJQJBBE&feature=related
I use 13-56 on my acoustic and is really hard for me to do full bendings on the lower strings.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by dgonz
Strings are a bit heavier, but your hands have to build up to play them. I never "give up" on stuff like that. Something hard just makes me "have" to do it more, so I can accomplish something.

Keep playing it. Unless you had perpetual girly, gardening hands, you'll get it down.

The man is right. It all comes with practice. It takes a bit more force than on an electric, but can most certainly be done. No reason to give up!
Last edited by GC Shred Off at May 27, 2008,
Yep. You've just gotta get your fingers in better shape. The other guitarist in my band has been playing 15+ years and he can get full bends on acoustic just the same as he would on electric. You've just gotta want it.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
^ Exactly. Just practice it. I play/played a lot of electric, but still find myself coming back to acoustic guitar. I just kept strengthening my fingers and i can get some pretty decent bends on an acoustic. It's all practice. Also try a lighter string gauge if you desperately need it.
Woohoo.
Thanks guys. I haven't really practiced bending a ton. It's definitely the weakest in my technique arsenal. I probably would have been practicing it more if I knew other people could do it. That's been my mantra since I've started playing: if someone else can do it there's no reason I can't.
Yeah, but just because most people can't do somthing doesn't necessarily mean you can't. That's how you end up with bad asses like Andy McKee. I'm sure someone saw him slapping the hell out of an acoustic one day and told him he coulden't play like that.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by JHogg11
Thanks guys. I haven't really practiced bending a ton. It's definitely the weakest in my technique arsenal. I probably would have been practicing it more if I knew other people could do it. That's been my mantra since I've started playing: if someone else can do it there's no reason I can't.

Good attitude and a great way to think about things. Sometimes it only takes one little thing to spark a whole different direction in your playing. I remember hearing a particular song in a DADGCC tuning, and loved the way it sounded and felt. That one little thing turned my thinking about music, the way I played, the way I approached writing and the a lot of my current acoustic technique in a whole new direction.

Practice with a good, steady and strong vibrato with each finger. Then work that wider into a bend. When you can "feel" 110% control over each note, then you will become a Jedi
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
yeah plus if you learn to do it at 90percent on an acoustic just think about how bad youll be shredding when you go back to your electric plus you may be able to go up to a higher guage electric string and enjoy benifites like more sustain,.
Practice. You'll get it. Don't practice. You won't. Simple as that. I can do full bends on nylon strings because I've worked my ass off at it. You'll do it too if you work.
I actually gave myself a lot less credit on the bends. Sometimes its uncomfortable as hell but I can get the full bend. I need some work to toughen my fingertips and with the smoothness, especially on the G string but it's certainly well within reason. To think, I had somewhat written it off until reading your responses. I think it might be the Roger Bannister effect.
Don't give up on stuff like that TS. Just keep at it and you will soon get it down. I do a lot of bending on mine (playing Blues improv stuff) and it isn't really a problem for me any more.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
i think full bends.. are jst impossible on most of notes (special near neck) on steel strings acoustic
DO

THE ACOUSTIC

Dreaming his way to victory
You all have made me a believer. I've been playing a lot with bends since I started this thread and it's coming along well. Right now I'm in the process of learning the Stairway to Heaven solo on the acoustic. There are plenty of full bends in the song and also two 1 1/2 step bends and a 2 step bends. The 2 step bend is the only one I can't do so I just do a full step slide into a full bend which sounds pretty close. Other than that, I just had to switch a few of the notes to different strings, but it still sounds good.

Woohooooo
Quote by fixxxer30
i think full bends.. are jst impossible on most of notes (special near neck) on steel strings acoustic

i'm guessing you haven't been playing all that long. practice my friend. practice.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
don't worry about it mate, i've been playing for years and mine still sound awful. actually, that's probably not the attitude to have is it... but yeah, I'd go with the slide into the full bend until you develop bionic fingers
Quote by ultrablue
don't worry about it mate, i've been playing for years and mine still sound awful. actually, that's probably not the attitude to have is it... but yeah, I'd go with the slide into the full bend until you develop bionic fingers

Yeah a 2 step bend on an acoustic is ridiculous. The bend starts from the 6th fret on the B string so it would read 6b10 or something. I can hit the 1 1/2 step bend from the 10th fret on the B string without problem so maybe I'll be able to do it at some point. The slide and bend combo is working fine for now.
Confusius

Yes...I played nylon for years..to develop stretching and accuracy ,, playing add nine chords with the nine in the middle strings is a task but with practice..did a lot of blues studies also..double bends are possible with practice..you can get "electric" sounds on some chord runs too..on a steel string - depending on set up..action... string gauge etc. you can bend whole tones with ease..watch some of the Nashville boys do it..also players of acoustic jazz and early folk blues players..david Bromberg comes to mind..
play well

wolf
wolflen

What moved a long time member such as yourself, to respond to a 9 year old post in a long dead thread?

Especially in light of the fact nobody seems to have bumper it prior to yourself. Did (now long gone) ad spam bump it to the top?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 22, 2017,
I still haven't gotten any good at bending strings. I can barely do hammerons and pulloffs, lol.