About to start building a rack unit with my graduation funds, but have a few things I need to get straight before I start making some purchases (I will post pics of the finished thing, probably do a user of the month in the summer).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-Sansamp-RBI-Rackmount-Bass-Tube-Amp-Emulator?sku=480223
This is the rack-mount version of the Sansamp BDI, if I'm not mistaken. And it can act as a post-pre amp, so I can use it to drive the tone of my GK 1001, instead of having the Sansamp creating a tone entirely of it's own.

I have heard of people using the Sansamp as their only EQ and just not using the pre-amp, but I'm not sure how that works because the Sansamp doesn't have any way to amplify.

And, what is the purpose of a power conditioner? From what I can gather they don't act as anything other than a surge protector and noise gate? I also notice that many have the plug-ins on the front, so are the other heads in the rack supposed to be plugged into the front of the power conditioner, or other?

More questions may be soon to follow, but thats all that I have thus far.

Right now I'm looking at having a GK 1001 Head, with the Sansamp Driver, Korg Rack Tuner, and I haven't decided on a power conditioner yet because I"m not sure what I'm looking for in one (or if I need one at all).
Man I'm kind of dissapointed, this is like the third question thread in a row I've posted with zero to minimum responses.
It may be because nobody knows anything about power conditioners, or the people who may are not online.

Have you tried using google? Not a 20 second scramble, as in going through each and every link you can, and reading everything it has to say if it applies.

Happy now?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by BlueShox

I have heard of people using the Sansamp as their only EQ and just not using the pre-amp, but I'm not sure how that works because the Sansamp doesn't have any way to amplify.

And, what is the purpose of a power conditioner? From what I can gather they don't act as anything other than a surge protector and noise gate? I also notice that many have the plug-ins on the front, so are the other heads in the rack supposed to be plugged into the front of the power conditioner, or other?

I'm pretty darn sure you can use it as a preamp, it doesn't have a way to "amplify" as a poweramp, but look at the drive and level controls, it should definately boost the signal properly as a preamp.

A good power conditioner doesn't just protect against surges, it levels out and cleans up the electricity to the point that you have tighter, more quiet power overall. Good ones also filter out hum, not just by noise gating, but actually reducing it all the time. They also often isolate seperate power soures and lift ground loops so that you don't get any ground loop hum... they also light up your effects rack so that you can see things easily and make adjustments during a show... they also conveniently keep all of your power cables for your gear bound neatly together so that you don't have as much mess or hastle....

I won't go on with any more alsos, my point is they are pretty useful when you buy a good one.
SansAmp. Learn your French. Without an amp. It's meant to be used as a DI, though not exclusively. Geddy Lee uses it in his amp-less setup.

The one-space rack gear has no power amp in it, obviously. Therefore, in an amplified system, you need a power amp. You can plug it into the house DI like Geddy does.

If I were you, I'd put the RBI as the first thing in my effects loop. Effects loop send into the input 2 of the RBI, output RBI into effects loop return. That way, your preamp feeds into the RBI so you can use both effectively, and like you mentioned, the RBI as a post-preamp (like most rack gear is).

Or, you can plug the RBI's output into the effects loop return of the GK and plug your bass into the front of the RBI and/or use it's effects loop if you want to bypass the GK.

Now, if you want the GK's preamp after the RBI, the only way I can think of doing that is to plug your bass into the front of the RBI and then plug the RBI's output into the front of your amp. That's not an elegant solution but if you want that kind of thing, I'd look into a pedal SansAmp, or buying a separate preamp/power amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fitz and Mike, thanks a billion, cleared up a lot of my questions.

"If I were you, I'd put the RBI as the first thing in my effects loop. Effects loop send into the input 2 of the RBI, output RBI into effects loop return. That way, your preamp feeds into the RBI so you can use both effectively, and like you mentioned, the RBI as a post-preamp (like most rack gear is)."

This is pretty much what I was aiming for. As far as the tuner goes, should I have my signal running through it, or just use the tuner out that comes out from the GK head, or will either be as effective? Also, does the signal run through the power conditioner, or is it just a subordinate tool that just helps prevent things that would interfere with it. Since it acts as a noise gate and filters out hum, I would assume the signal would probably be going through it, but not having one in front of me to study makes me kind of uncertain about this.

On the same token, I notice that most power conditioners only have one or two inputs on the front, yet most racks have three or four units that need to be plugged into it to receive power. Is there more in the back?

A lot of these questions are things that could probably be answered if I had a conditioner in front of me, but there really isn't any opportunity for me to get my hands on one any tiem soon.
You should really ask this question over at Talkbass, the guys over there know a lot about rack gear and about anything else bass related u can think of.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Use tuner out. Tuner out is basically a 100% clean tone, dig? You don't want any distortion "confusing" the tuner.

And from what I understand, you plug into power conditioners like you would a wall outlet. They're basically rackmounted power bars.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..