I am just starting to play again. Since I travel a lot, I really do not want to lug an amp to my other home for the weekend (like the last weekend), but want a decent acoustic guitar to practice and play.

I bought my son a cheapo Washburn last year but he has migrated to my Strat, so I have been trying to play his. But this guitar sucks (I had a friend whom really plays well verify it.)

I am looking for some recommendations. Say I want to spend $500 used so figure a $1000 or so new one that I can buy used on eBay. Also, should I buy just an acoustic or an electric acoustic?

Thanks in advance for ideas.

Also, if this should be in the acoustic section, please move.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
um.. you could just buy an amp for your other house since your guitars are amazing
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by thatfootballkid
I have an ovation and it has great tone and was a little over $500

Which model?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
maybe a martin, there are pretty good martins for 1000 bucks, or an epiphone acoustic ones, they are pretty good too imo.
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
um.. you could just buy an amp for your other house since your guitars are amazing

I knew someone would put this up, but since I rent my houses (I have 3), I would really not want to leave an amp behind.

Plus, I am trying to play and acoustic more to build finger strength and precession.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
get a cheap yamaha there pretty good
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Quote by closertofreewil
wrong section.

Wasn't sure since I was thinking an electric acoustic that I could plug into amp when I am home.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Some really good ones are ovations, they have a very full sound. They also make a lot of acoustic-electric models too. Although I don't understand why you would need one since the whole point of moving to the acoustic is to not have to lug around an amp. Not that you need an amp to play the acoustic-electric. The acoustic-electrics do cost more too. But that is completely optional. I have heard that Ibanez is starting to make really good acoustics surprisingly, you may want to check on that.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Quote by atlasguitar
Although I don't understand why you would need one since the whole point of moving to the acoustic is to not have to lug around an amp.

My understanding (and I guess it is wrong) is that an electric acoustic when not plugged into an amp sounds pretty good. If not, then really what I want is just a plain acoustic (and then I should move the thread.)
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
For future reference there is an Acoustic Guitar forum and would've been more appropriate for you to use instead of the Electric Guitar forum.
Quote by Sam_Prillaman

What's wrong with his one?
Quote by Wakisazhi
For future reference there is an Acoustic Guitar forum and would've been more appropriate for you to use instead of the Electric Guitar forum.

Ok, let me repost over there.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue