Page 1 of 2
Ok, today I went to guitar center with a couple friends. One of my friends who jsut started guitar and is quite bad at the moment, see this Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, or something like that. It was $850. He calls up his mom and says he wants the guitar. His mom drives all the way up there and buys this guitar for him. He can't even play the thing. I'm gettin pretty ok at guitar, but I have crap guitars. It just pisses me off when people get whatever they want.

Anyone ever has something like this happen to them?
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
I've heard this all before, too many BLOODY times.

If you're better than him, don't sweat it. You'll sound better than he will, because he'll have this gear that he won't be able to do justice to. That is pretty bad though. Just be content with your playing skills, and focus on your playing. You can probably still run circles around him with what you play on now.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I've heard this all before, too many BLOODY times.

If you're better than him, don't sweat it. You'll sound better than he will, because he'll have this gear that he won't be able to do justice to. That is pretty bad though. Just be content with your playing skills, and focus on your playing. You can probably still run circles around him with what you play on now.

HELLZ YEAH to that

talent is in the player, not the equipment
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I wish whining about this problem was reportable, more people post this than the lol wut pear
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
i know what you mean, ive been playing for three years with a squier fender

strat and a 40$ amp but i can safely say i am the best guitar player at my school. My friend

Sam has been playing for 5- 7 months, he sucks, but his millionaire parents bought him a

3000$ Gibson Les Paul Supreme
Quote by AeroRocker

talent is in the player, not the equipment

+1

and yeah i have one friend who gets whatever he wants because he's mommy's little boy... don't sweat it lol he'll probably sell it or something
Quote by closertofreewil
Ok, today I went to guitar center with a couple friends. One of my friends who jsut started guitar and is quite bad at the moment, see this Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, or something like that. It was $850. He calls up his mom and says he wants the guitar. His mom drives all the way up there and buys this guitar for him. He can't even play the thing. I'm gettin pretty ok at guitar, but I have crap guitars. It just pisses me off when people get whatever they want.

god i know the feeling i have a better story though i had a ex friend who sold me his acoustic cause he never played it and his dad bought it for him, 2 days later i showed him a g-chord and the next day he ran out with hsi dad and bought a btter acoustic than me about a week later he goes out and buys a fender strat after ive been saying ive been wanting one for months. now he rants about how he loves music and all this bull**** but hes a poser and he aint even good
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
You can't buy skill, my friend; it can only be purchased by hours of dedication and care. No one is impressed by a poor player with a good guitar.
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.
guy I know has 5 guitars, most are $500+ except for his starter. He's also got two amps which were 500 each, a recording studio in his basement, what my brother tells me is a very good drum set and a bunch of microphones. All his guitars are pretty much crap, because he wanted to buy a new one instead of save up and get a good one, I guess that cycle repeated itself a couple times and the same goes for the amps, both of which sound less than half as good as my $70 starter amp.

So to answer your question, yes I do know someone like this.

My advice (which I got from my guitar teacher): Let the guy play with you, no matter how bad he is and he'll slowly become a kind of producer/manager/hanger on, and you get to use his equipment! And if he whines about playing more, let him play more and play with some other guys on the side.

If a guy's got great gear, and sucks at playing, chances are he'll be willing to share if it means playing with a skilled guitarist like yourself =D
Why does anyone care what other people do or think? Play for you, not for them. Don't be jealous of their equipment. Be content with yours. Strive to accomplish what you want to, and so what if so and so has a better amp? You can play better, and by the time you get a new amp, you'll sound amazing compared to some asshat who's mufflin' his strings and failing epically at guitar. You'll know this because he'll have a good amp which will accentuate ALL of his notes.
My friends all buy gear with their own damn money so I don't have any stories to share. Either way, It doesn't matter. Good tone comes from your hands, not what gear you have.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
That's crap, as well as the other whingers who make posts to whine about their parents not buying this guitar that they want today when they already have 4 others at home,,,

Best thing is when they have a nice guitar but they give up, and you buy it off them cheaply.

Not surprising that only one person has had a problem with this thread.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Last edited by Perturabo at May 26, 2008,
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Why does anyone care what other people do or think? Play for you, not for them. Don't be jealous of their equipment. Be content with yours. Strive to accomplish what you want to, and so what if so and so has a better amp? You can play better, and by the time you get a new amp, you'll sound amazing compared to some asshat who's mufflin' his strings and failing epically at guitar. You'll know this because he'll have a good amp which will accentuate ALL of his notes.
PLUS

Quote by Faux
Just buy it from him for much much less than it is worth when he tires from it, which will likely be soon. Then encourage him to buy more expensive things that you know you can get from him later.

WIN!!!

who cares? that has nothing to do with you. Good for your friend that he has a mother that will buy him whatever he wants, it should not piss you off one bit.
Oh yeah, I have a friend like that. He's been playing probably about 2-3 months, and he claims to be on the same level as me (which doesn't really bother me because everyone he's told that has come to me laughing about what he said, I mean I'm not good by any means but this guy is TERRIBLE) and has a really crappy fender amp, two guitars, a bass, and is going to buy like a 150w SS half stack because he "needs" a half stack. He's also planning on purchasing two Gibson Faded series guitars, because they are the best (because Gibson is the best.)

And he never even was interested in music until a friend and I started playing guitar and he saw us getting good and starting to play together. Well this friend I have (not the lame one, the one that started playing guitar with me) always dyes his hair, paints his nails, etc etc nothing wrong with that, not my cuppa tea but w/e, I love the guy like a brother. Well the jerk off decides he's going to go from some what jock guy to a really whiny kid who always complains. He dyes his hair and paints his nails (same colors as my friend) and ever since my friend said he really liked a Gibson LP he played, all we hear out of mr. asshat is that Gibsons are the best and that's all he wants to play. I know it gets on everyone's nerves but we kinda just figure eventually he'll realize that he either needs to be himself or he'll quit playing guitar, both of which would be fine with about the entire school lol.
^ That just sounds made up. I've heard a bajillion near identical stories to that; your whiny friend needs an SS Halfstack, and how you're the reason he wanted to start playing in the first place.

Not saying you're a liar, I'm just saying I smell troll...*sniffs the air*...Yeah, definitely a bridge troll. A big one, by the scent of it. (Is that even possible to gauge?)
Ok, you can tell me I'm lying all you want, but is it really going to accomplish anything? And I didn't say I'm the reason he started playing, I just said me and a friend started then he did, nothing wrong with it, I don't care. I'm glad he's playing. I was just saying yeah, I have a friend who is pretty spoiled to, seeing as that's what the topic was about, figured I was contributing, but apparently I was trolling
I actually had my most expensive guitar bought for me by my grandparents for Christmas of '07. Only $540, PRS SE Soapbar Maple II.

I bought my Crate GX-15 amp, my Alvarez RD20SSB, and my Epiphone SG with my own money, though.

I have a friend whose parents own a drugstore and are pretty well off, and he is pretty spoiled. He hasn't been playing long, and he's not very good at all.

He has 3-4 guitars and 1-2 amps now. I know he has an Epiphone Flying V, an AXL Distressed Strat copy and a more pricey BC Rich guitar. I like the guy alright, and I don't mind playing w/ him or anything, and I try to help him out whenever possible...

But word got around that he's sort of puts my playing down and insinuates that he's better than me, and that all I can do is "some chords & stuff". That sort of irks me, because I mainly play Technical Death Metal, Jazz, and Thrash.

Yeah, PRS w/ P90s & TDM, etc. Working on it. But yeah, I wouldn't count shred as "chords & stuff".
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Yeah, yeah the whole I deserve a good guitar and the noob deseves a crap guitar rant
Yeah, yeah, the whole I'm a hardass poster because I'm an Internet Tough Guy rant
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by edusty2010
Ok, you can tell me I'm lying all you want, but is it really going to accomplish anything? And I didn't say I'm the reason he started playing, I just said me and a friend started then he did, nothing wrong with it, I don't care. I'm glad he's playing. I was just saying yeah, I have a friend who is pretty spoiled to, seeing as that's what the topic was about, figured I was contributing, but apparently I was trolling

Is complaining about your spoiled friend going to accomplish anything?
Quote by Shining_Yrael
Yeah, yeah, the whole I'm a hardass poster because I'm an Internet Tough Guy rant

Yeah, yeah, he's right though.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Is complaining about your spoiled friend going to accomplish anything?

Is trolling and being off-topic going to accomplish anything? Seriously, if you see a topic titled "Spoiled Friends" and you know you've already read it before or it irks you don't come in. I didn't mind you saying the story I posted at first was border line believable or what not, but now you're just being a dick for the sake of it. And you call me a troll, hey, atleast I posted on topic

God, some people are asses.
You've posted on a topic that has been done a million times. If I were an ass, I'd say "use the searchbar, there's an official thread for this". I'm not trolling. You're the one who comes in with some story about a kid wanting a Marshall SS Halfstack, and how the ENTIRE student body thinks he sucks.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
You've posted on a topic that has been done a million times. If I were an ass, I'd say "use the searchbar, there's an official thread for this". I'm not trolling. You're the one who comes in with some story about a kid wanting a Marshall SS Halfstack, and how the ENTIRE student body thinks he sucks.

So what? A topic is going to be redone. If you wanted it to pass why not just not post - thereby not bumping it up to the first topic seen.

And further, I never said the entire student body thinks he sucks, I said his friends want the old him back, ie the school wants him back, he's throwing his life away, getting into trouble with cops etc.

Even further, do you hang around with me? No. You don't know me, or the person I'm talking about, or any details other than what I've said, and you tell me I'm lying? Well, that seems pretty damn funny to me, but fine, go ahead, tell me I'm lying. 'Cause I really care about what some random dude in Canada thinks about my post on UG, saying that my friend wants a few Gibsons and a SS halfstack (not complaining about it, mind you).

Does it honestly matter that much to you if my story were true or false? 'Cause if you really want to you could always fly down to Ohio and meet the kid.
Woah, brother, chill. I think you're getting a bit agitated. I'm just saying, your story seems very generic, much like the others I've seen. Before you came in here, I was just stating how being jealous of your friend's expensive gear won't help you be a better guitarist.

To answer your question: No, I couldn't care less about your story. I'm just giving a statement, is all.

EDIT: In your first post in this thread, you come off as bitter and jealous. I'm sorry, but that's what I'm taking from it.

EDIT: Again, sorry that I thought the entire school thinks he sucks. It still doesn't disguise the fact you're being bitter.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at May 27, 2008,
Quote by Sharck
guy I know has 5 guitars, most are $500+ except for his starter. He's also got two amps which were 500 each, a recording studio in his basement, what my brother tells me is a very good drum set and a bunch of microphones. All his guitars are pretty much crap, because he wanted to buy a new one instead of save up and get a good one, I guess that cycle repeated itself a couple times and the same goes for the amps, both of which sound less than half as good as my $70 starter amp.

So to answer your question, yes I do know someone like this.

My advice (which I got from my guitar teacher): Let the guy play with you, no matter how bad he is and he'll slowly become a kind of producer/manager/hanger on, and you get to use his equipment! And if he whines about playing more, let him play more and play with some other guys on the side.

If a guy's got great gear, and sucks at playing, chances are he'll be willing to share if it means playing with a skilled guitarist like yourself =D

good call man good call
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Woah, brother, chill. I think you're getting a bit agitated. I'm just saying, your story seems very generic, much like the others I've seen. Before you came in here, I was just stating how being jealous of your friend's expensive gear won't help you be a better guitarist.

To answer your question: No, I couldn't care less about your story. I'm just giving a statement, is all.

EDIT: In your first post in this thread, you come off as bitter and jealous. I'm sorry, but that's what I'm taking from it.

Ok, guess I thought you were coming off harsh, but w/e. I hate how text can't deliver intent along with well... Text. Truce?

And oh yeah, I could care less if he gets a $5,000 custom handmade guitar lol. If he wants it cool, it's his parents money but they wanna support him, that's fine. I def didn't mean to come off as jealous, I was more mocking the kid because whenever anyone tells him things like "No, you don't need a 100w SS half stack because of x, y, and z" he just comes back with "But it's a *insert brand name here* so it's the best".

I'm honestly glad there's another guitarist in the area (there's like 7 with him, and a few are just plain dick wads, think YJM only without the ability to play guitar) I just think he'd benefit by listening a bit and not just getting all the things he wants that very moment is all. I mean what's the point of 5 nice guitars if you can't play at all? That's like buying a painting then putting it in your closet lol.
Quote by Shining_Yrael

I'm a poster

and where does it show that I'm being a hardass poster?

and where is the rant?
Quote by closertofreewil

What I read:

*wahwahwah*

(And not the good kind of wah)

Life isn't fair. You're going to be given COUNTLESS examples of it throughout your life, better get used to it now while you're young.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Pretty much all of my gear has been bought by my parents. But it was either for Christmas/Birthday gifts and such. Also I consider myself pretty good at guitar, does this make me one of those spoiled brats this thread is talking about?
I've got two friends like that, myself.

One is apparently loaded through his grandfather, though he also works. He pretty much only spends his money on keyboards and synthesizers and stuff, though......

Another friend, though, has access to money as well. The gear I ended up getting with that money could've likely set me up for years. However, I lust more for the money than the gear he ended up spending it on: a Marshall MG 100-watter and a Dean Dimebag Explosion guitar or something. eck.....

Still, I make the best of what I have, and what I have isn't all that bad at all. I'm resourceful about things, anyway, buying used and cannibalizing components from old guitars no one actually wants anymore. I've got friends who are worse off than I am, as far as the financial situation goes, so it's not as though there's no perspective for me.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at May 27, 2008,
OMG i so have this same situation happen to me...im playin out of a crappy vinci guitar thats like a strat knock off with three single coil pickups out of a 30watt line 6 spider 3...my friend has the same amp as me, and a silvertone strat-knock off...i geuss hes not THAT spoiled cuz he got a dean V for his bday....but my family doesnt have that kinda money lol. But wat happens is he kinda gets into practicing, jams at my house, then leaves his **** there for months at a time...so i get to use it n e ways lol.

my OTHER friend is beter than me, i can admit, but he has a big expensive behringer amp (not my style) and his first real guitar was an epi les paul...then he got a dean ML...then he got an ibanezsemi-hollow lol....so i know how u feel dawg...like the whole world doesnt want u to get better lol...but i learned how to play like lamb of god on y ****ty guitar, then tried it on a GOOD guitar and it sounded phenomenal (and pinch harmonics are mad easier with sum humbuckers lol) so just dont let it get to ya...

gear:
line 6 spider valve 212
ibanez RG5EX1
vinci VE5PK
This thread brings me back to the days of middle school.
Last edited by TexasRG at May 27, 2008,
This thread pisses me off.
Can I haz my 3 minutz bak plz?
Seriously, rant on as much as you want. It's not going to change the fact that people get what they want when others don't.
If you really cared you'd start by working your ass off to get what you want, but NO! It's more practical to post a thread on UG about your experiences!!
Honestly, grow up and face the facts.

My care cup - empty.
Moe.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
This thread pisses me off.
Can I haz my 3 minutz bak plz?
Seriously, rant on as much as you want. It's not going to change the fact that people get what they want when others don't.
If you really cared you'd start by working your ass off to get what you want, but NO! It's more practical to post a thread on UG about your experiences!!
Honestly, grow up and face the facts.

My care cup - empty.
Moe.

Hm. I assume you're a rather angry person, yes?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Stratman54
Pretty much all of my gear has been bought by my parents. But it was either for Christmas/Birthday gifts and such. Also I consider myself pretty good at guitar, does this make me one of those spoiled brats this thread is talking about?

If you got them Christmas/Birthday gifts then I see nothing wrong with that.
Quote by closertofreewil

I see stuff like that happen all the time. I agree. It's totally stupid.

... but don't worry someday you'll grow beyond becoming pissed/jealous of your friends, and just be happy for them. probably about the same time that you get a job and work for what you want to own. you'll be too busy to think like a boygina. there's hope for you, yet.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at May 27, 2008,
Page 1 of 2