Hey guys,

I am looking into buying a whole new set up soon and i am not quite sure about what ohms are . I am really interested in the Peavey 6505+ half stack and it comes in 4, 8, or 16 ohms and i really don't know what that means. If i get the wrong ohms for a different cab, will fly the circuit board?

Any info about this would be helpful, or even a link to another thread about this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ohms is way that impedance and resistance are measured. Resistance is opposition to the flow of DC current, like from a battery. Impedance is opposition to the flow of AC current, like the sound from your amp head. More ohms means more opposition to the flow of current.

For a tube amp, the impedance of the cab should be the same as the impedance of the head. If you use a cab with impedance that's too low then you might blow your output transformer. In other words, not enough opposition to the flow of current means too much current will flow.

For a solid state amp, the impedance of the cab usually just needs to be at least as high as the impedance of the amp head.

Check the manual for your amp and see what impedance cabs you can use, and then get a cab with the appropriate impedance.
ok i think i understand now, so to shorten it up, I just need to use a cab with the same amount of ohms that my head has and it should be fine? I am getting a tube amp
Quote by ibanezshred503
ok i think i understand now, so to shorten it up, I just need to use a cab with the same amount of ohms that my head has and it should be fine? I am getting a tube amp

Yep. There will usually be some marking near the jack letting you know what the impedance should be (in ohms). Be sure and check the manual, though. Most amp manufacturers have copies of their manuals online that you can download.
And never turn on (out of standby) your amp without a cabinet attached!
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower