I tried using the search bar to answer my question, but I couldn't seem to find anything useful.

Does anyone know if buying a "matched pair" of pickups is important? If I were to purchase one pickup now and another pickup later, is it possible for me to "match" them myself?

Thanks in advance.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
You don't need to buy a matched pair of pickups. You don't need two of the exact same pickup, or even two of the same manufacturer. Your best bet is to look for pickups that give you the individual lead and rhythm tones you're looking for, while being similar in volume so that you don't get a huge drop-off when you switch between them.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I've found that matching the output of pickups is highly overrated. Between raising and lowering pickups and using the volume knob, it's easy to get a pretty even volume between any two pickups. Sometimes you don't even want them to be matched- my neck pickup has about half the output of my bridge pickup, so I can switch between them for a channel switching kind of effect. The output of the pickup effects gain more than volume.
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube