Poll: Which tele
Poll Options
View poll results: Which tele
Fender MIM
22 81%
Squier Butterscorch with fender pickups
5 19%
Voters: 27.
Hi, I'm planning to buy a telecaster, and I was thinking on getting the Fender MIM but I really love the butterscorch blonde telecaster and Fender affordable telecasters are not available on that color, then a friend told me that there was a squier affinity series tele in that color.

What does UG thinks about it? Changing the pickups would make it close to a fender?
There is an obvious difference between them but is it so great?

Thanks in advance

Also any suggestions could help me a lot.
Some of the squier teles are pretty good, but unless you can try a bunch you'd be much better getting a MIM fender. The necks on Squiers are pretty hit or miss (mostly miss), whereas fender necks are usually pretty comfortable and playable and just vary in size.
Either save for an american, or take the aesthetic hit because it's not worth getting a squier just for the color choice IMO.
The MIM tele is $400 I believe. You should be able to find a parts-tele or old american one for that price or only slightly more if you're patient and hit smaller shops, or if you're good at haggling. I picked up a warmoth tele with a birdseye neck and lace sensors a few months ago from a local store for $325 (with a gig bag), so you should be able to at least get better than a MIM for around that price.

Go used, try it out, and don't waste your money on a squire.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by Skierinanutshel
yeah, i would def. try out one and put it through a get run through to check the neck. also, if you do want that tele quack out of a squier, you need to give room for the cost of good tele pickups.

I already considered that
The average cost of the squier would be 310
The fender brown sunburst would be 429
You could try for a Partscaster. You could easily find a Butterscotch Tele Body on eBay, a neck as well, some GFS pick-ups maybe, and all that other jazz.
Yep...spend the extra couple bucks! The tele is my second favorite guitar, behind the Paul...but it is close!

Quote by carpepax
I would go MIM Fender before Squire any day.
The mim pups are crap anyhow.

The squier affinites are very nice guitars, Ive abed an MIM standard to and affinity before now, the difference was minimal, the mim had a bit of extra punch, but they both felt very similar (I actually prefered the squiers neck), played very similar and sounded very similar, the Squier was just as much as a tele as the MIM, of course you have to do some hunting so you dont get a dodgy one, but if I actually had the money at the time, I wouldve just as happily walked out of that shop with the Affinity than I would with the MIM. I felt the fender was very overpriced.

Go try them out for yourself dont just jump on the bandwagon with the rest of UG. Squier have made some superb guitars over the years, if people would pull their head out of their ass for 5 minutes theyd realise that.

But yes, a partsocaster is a good idea, IMO the affinity would be a very good workhorse guitar, slap on some new hardware, new pups, new tuners and youll have a much better guitar than an MIM fender stock for cheaper.
Quote by beckyjc
The mim pups are crap anyhow.

The squier affinites are very nice guitars, Ive abed an MIM standard to and affinity before now, the difference was minimal, the mim had a bit of extra punch, but they both felt very similar (I actually prefered the squiers neck), played very similar and sounded very similar, the Squier was just as much as a tele as the MIM, of course you have to do some hunting so you dont get a dodgy one, but if I actually had the money at the time, I wouldve just as happily walked out of that shop with the Affinity than I would with the MIM. I felt the fender was very overpriced.

Go try them out for yourself dont just jump on the bandwagon with the rest of UG. Squier have made some superb guitars over the years, if people would pull their head out of their ass for 5 minutes theyd realise that.

But yes, a partsocaster is a good idea, IMO the affinity would be a very good workhorse guitar, slap on some new hardware, new pups, new tuners and youll have a much better guitar than an MIM fender stock for cheaper.

+1, I was wondering how long it'd be before you made your way into this thread Becky I'd take an upgraded Squier over an MIM to be honest, as long as you play the exact squier you're getting - make sure you sift through the lemons!
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Avoid the Squier, most of them have agathis bodies. You want the Alder from the MiM.

I have a MiM "blacked out" Tele with a maple neck. Great guitars for the price.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^I beleive the Affinity squiers have alder bodies, but don't quote me on that!
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
^ They do. That's why he should get the Squier then pretty much mod the hell out of it, or at the very least replace the pickups.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by cmakkidguitar
^I beleive the Affinity squiers have alder bodies, but don't quote me on that!
The Affinity's are Agathis too.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I played a Squier tele like than and it felt better than most of the Fender brand teles i've picked up.

Not saying it's better think wood quality was worse, but overall if you go the Squier direction play one, it can definitely be a nice guitar with mods.

Quote by Van Noord
The Affinity's are Agathis too.

Don't think so, says alder right there in the specs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special?sku=515115

Actually looks like a nice guitar wouldn't mind doing heavy mods to one of those has potential to make a great guitar.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at May 29, 2008,
The Squier is a little hit or miss, and the electronics are almost certainly miss. Stick with the MIM...mabye try a refinishing project?