Any tips on how to make **** vocals sound good? Preferably for free/very cheap.

They have written a song and they are recording it a crappy laptop microphone and i have been left the job of doing backing tracks and mixing.

Also any tips on how to pass judgment on an 11 year olds song? I dont want her kicking up a **** storm because i said there to young to write a political song (Oh and there lyrics are **** too)
Add distortion, mad amounts of echo, and then make a black metal backing track.

But in all seriousness, what kind of programs are you working with and what do they want you to make?
Quote by hollow1928years
Add distortion, mad amounts of echo, and then make a black metal backing track.

But in all seriousness, what kind of programs are you working with and what do they want you to make?

Im using audacity. Its free and easy to use. Guitar Pro 5 for backing tracks (drums, bass etc) and a cheap microphone.

Bassicly they want a pop song. all i have to work with is a ****ty recording.

Oh one thing. How can i find out what key the song is in just from the vocals? i know the first syllable is E
Err, is it possible for them to give you the lyrics and how they want to sing it, you make a backing track in whatever key you want and have them sing to it instead of matching their pitches. They could be going out of key all the time, that way you can say that your backing track is in key, they are just singing out of tune in the end of it all.
Quote by hollow1928years
Err, is it possible for them to give you the lyrics and how they want to sing it, you make a backing track in whatever key you want and have them sing to it instead of matching their pitches. They could be going out of key all the time, that way you can say that your backing track is in key, they are just singing out of tune in the end of it all.

Cant do that... They expect me to do all this crap for them but they wont let me listen to the song. They wont do anything i say that i know will make it easier for them.

Its ****ing stupid really...
i almost feel bad for you. the only reason i don't feel bad is because you didn't find out what you were working with before hand.... i would have shot it down in a second and i've been recording for a while. but heres some tips.

best thing you can do to figure out the key is to play the notes shes singing on guitar and figure out the scale.

not a whole lot you can do with a crappy recording. theres an old saying that goes "sh!t in, sh!t out" your best bet is a noise gate to kill any hiss and some reverb a touch of delay and maybe a little chorus and that should fill out the sound. really the best thing you (or they) could do is get a better mic and maybe record just an acoustic version of the song.

Quote by the_poison125
Cant do that... They expect me to do all this crap for them but they wont let me listen to the song. They wont do anything i say that i know will make it easier for them.

Its ****ing stupid really...

see i thought they'd be singing to a premade backing track or something, nevermind what i said. tell them tough sh!t and don't do it. seriously, tell them if they can't work with you and do something that simple they'll never be able to record anything, anywhere for anyone without an obscene amount of money (even then they prolly couldn't do it)
Last edited by z4twenny at May 27, 2008,
Yeah +1, tell them you have more experience and that if they don't do your way it won't work. If she's being a stubborn biatch then just act mature and remain aloof.
leet use of the eq.

use track automation and cut the frequency she hits, and boost the one she was meant to.
why are you letting a bitchy little girl boss you around. just tell how you are going to do it and if they dont want to do it that tell the tough ****
That's the jizz
Quote by z4twenny
i almost feel bad for you. the only reason i don't feel bad is because you didn't find out what you were working with before hand.... i would have shot it down in a second and i've been recording for a while. but heres some tips.

Well i thought they could follow some simple instructions =\

best thing you can do to figure out the key is to play the notes shes singing on guitar and figure out the scale.

Will do. Thanks

not a whole lot you can do with a crappy recording. theres an old saying that goes "sh!t in, sh!t out" your best bet is a noise gate to kill any hiss and some reverb a touch of delay and maybe a little chorus and that should fill out the sound. really the best thing you (or they) could do is get a better mic and maybe record just an acoustic version of the song.

Ive tried a bit of reverb but thay are so out of time that all the recordings turn to **** (more ****) when i use reverb.

Im going to get them to record to a click track and a bassic drum beat and make them record one at a time.

see i thought they'd be singing to a premade backing track or something, nevermind what i said. tell them tough sh!t and don't do it. seriously, tell them if they can't work with you and do something that simple they'll never be able to record anything, anywhere for anyone without an obscene amount of money (even then they prolly couldn't do it)

I did it to get a bit of experience out of it

Hopefully there coming around after school and i can get them to do it better.
^ making something that sounds awful, well the only experience you'll really get out of that is "how NOT to record a song" (and it sounds like you already know how NOT to record a song) seriously, tell them you changed your mind because they're not cooperative. you're going to need to figure out what the chord progression should be anyways and will need to hear the song in its entirety IN KEY AND TUNE to figure this out. if they sing out of key it won't help (unless of course you know how to songwrite in microtuning and have the ability to do that, in which case i want lessons, like NOW)
Quote by z4twenny
^ making something that sounds awful, well the only experience you'll really get out of that is "how NOT to record a song" (and it sounds like you already know how NOT to record a song) seriously, tell them you changed your mind because they're not cooperative. you're going to need to figure out what the chord progression should be anyways and will need to hear the song in its entirety IN KEY AND TUNE to figure this out. if they sing out of key it won't help (unless of course you know how to songwrite in microtuning and have the ability to do that, in which case i want lessons, like NOW)

Hmmm...

Im going to give this one last shot.

If they act fvcking stupid again screw it they can do it themselves...
Record her a bunch of times singing . This way you'll have multiple tracks
to work with.

or clone the vocal tracks an add FX. experiment with different reverb settings
tone...ect.
Pan these FX tracks to the left or right at a lower volume.

try bouncing vocal tracks
This way on certain parts of the song you'll have harmonize vocal parts.
If you can get her to sing it...it would be much better.

keep the original track as clean as possiable

oh yeah...use a stand or something...or makesure she dosn't step
away from the mic.
If she holds the might...tell her to keep it stationary.lol
If she dosen't you'll get unconsistant volume...which is a pain to correct.lol

If posisable keep the foam on the mic..if she holds it too close to her
mouth..you'll get a Paa paaa pa sound from the air hitting mic
Last edited by Ordinary at May 27, 2008,