ok i was just wondering about something. say i play guitar all summer (3 months) everyday for at least 8 hours a day. how good could i be by the end of the summer? im not that great right now. if i did this would it be possible if i practice right that i will be ready to be in a serious band?
Depends how good at learning you are, and depends on what the serious band will be playing.

pop punk - yes

shred - probably not
You can't judge how good you are just by giving us numbers. It all depends on how serious you are and most importantly how much you like playing guitar. Also if you don't know what the hell you're doing half the time, 3 months won't do much good.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
If you practice efficiently then you could get very good. But the chances are if you plan on practicing 8 hours you will practice 10 minutes then noodle around for a few hours, not really helping much. Also depends on the type of music you want to be making.
Pretty much what everybody else said, but just wondering, didn't you post this exact same thread before?
just think Eddie Van Halen.

Now think 30 years worse than him.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by TheVelvetGlove
ya thats what im afraid of. i do love playing guitar but i want to make sure im practicing right.

get a teacher and tell him what you want to do
im pretty sure in 3 months you can do all the simple stuff like chords, scales, stuff like that
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
im tired of these ****ing questions
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Oh, here, I'll just punch it into my guitar skill enhancement calculator! Ah, yes, you will improve by fifty six shred points at that rate. That's a fair amount, you'd be good to follow through with your plan. If it were thirty or so, I'd say you should only do it if you really feel like it, but fifty six is such a large number, you'd be a fool NOT to do it!
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
Oh, here, I'll just punch it into my guitar skill enhancement calculator! Ah, yes, you will improve by fifty six shred points at that rate. That's a fair amount, you'd be good to follow through with your plan. If it were thirty or so, I'd say you should only do it if you really feel like it, but fifty six is such a large number, you'd be a fool NOT to do it!

thanks now i know what i must do
I think playing 8 hours a day will give you a hell of a Repetitive strain injury, i would say go for 2-4 hours a day
Quote by TheVelvetGlove
ya me to

no seriously
how are we supposed to be able to tell you how good you are going to be in 3 months, regardless of how much you practice or you get a teacher?

dont give yourself a schedule. have fun wasting your summer.
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Quote by clancy256
no seriously
how are we supposed to be able to tell you how good you are going to be in 3 months, regardless of how much you practice or you get a teacher?

dont give yourself a schedule. have fun wasting your summer.

if u don't like the question don't answer it

but 8 hours dude? that's a full time job of practicing guitar.. whoa
8 hours a day...????
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Well, here's a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK33ujmHfUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBuzbe9xCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLUz34iofM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwMA8EP2GKM

Those are just a few examples of the level of playing that, in one summer, you could easily never get to!!!

Honestly, it's hard to say where you'd be in a summer. Even with 8 hours of practice a day. A big part of it is because practice is not just quantity, but also quality. Don't worry about where you'll get, think about getting there. Everyone wants to focus on the destination, they wanna see themselves up on stage, shredding away like nothing, they don't want to focus on the hard work. They see time as an obstacle, not an opportunity.

My advice to you, sit down, get some specific goals set, and try to come up with exercises to work them. I'd suggest not making goals in terms of speed; instead, make goals in terms of ease. E. g., don't make it your goal to hit 20 nps at your absolute max, instead make it your goal to be able to play at 13 nps effortlessly (I know I contradicted myself there).

Consistency, that should be your goal. Come up with difficult and interesting exercises, with 8 hours a day you could make some really neat and fun stuff, the kind of exercises where you mess up constantly, almost like tongue twisters. Make it your goal to play them perfectly by the end of the summer.

To be honest, I envy you, I wish I had that much time to devote to guitar every day.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
I had an extended summer, shall we say, last year until the end of January and since I spent all my time working at the technical aspects of guitar (and bass) and imitating the bands I loved by reading tabs I got pretty good technically speaking in just a few months but I still don't know jack about theory (I'm teaching myself very slowly) but the main thing is don't force it, never treat learning guitar like a chore or a job otherwise you'll hate it. I love playing so I ended up playing a lot. If you get a lot of joy out of playing guitar you'll pick it up really quickly too.
Depends what your practicing. If you dick around for those 8 hours a day playing what you want, then you aren't going to get far. If you make up a schedule of what you'll practice, what songs you'll learn and what excercises you'll go at, you could improve decently.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
if its solid practise u will become fairly decent.
And on the 7th day God created METAL!
8 hours a day would probably give you the skill to play with a band, but nothing real technical.
Quote by fretsonfire74
8 hours a day would probably give you the skill to play with a band, but nothing real technical.

I think you got that backwards.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
why practice all day? don't make it a chore, do it whenever you feel like it. More important to have fun rather than forcing yourself through it.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Numbers mean nothing. It's all about the motive. The WHY not the HOW. If you have the drive for it you could be pretty good. Decent actually. But not shredding since it requires muscle memory derived from more than 3 months of practicing. But just judging on the average WHY people want to play guitar then I'd say NO. You won't be ready to be in a serious band.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb