Yes, big mistake asking The Pit for help, but I'd like to know what my options are.

So a few of my friends wanted me to start a band with them and, since I've been pretty much band less for the entire time I've played, I accepted.

The bassist while, is alright for what he plays (Some Nu-Metal and Punk) and alright for 5 months, is not interested in the stuff I play (Death/Black/Heavy Metal and Shred)

The drummer, plays pretty much the same thing as a bassist and while he likes some of the stuff I listen to/play, he's just too damn lazy to learn how to play the songs, he insists on playing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" because it's an awesome song, but to be honest, I can't stand performing a song like that, I can't really get into a song that I don't really consider technical because I get really bored of playing constant power chords without any half-technical bits in it.

There are no other musicians in my school who would be willing to or be capable of playing the music that I do (I'm not trying to be arrogant, please don't get that impression, my school just generally sucks, being in Australia, it's all mainstream music and a few proper metalheads, who don't even attend my school or play guitar/bass/drums).

So what do I do? Stick in the band and hope they get off their lazy arses and practice more? Stick in the band and TELL them to get off their lazy arses and practice more?

Or do I just leave and search outside my school for someone (I don't like that idea because I don't have enough time, while in school I can practice in the music room and such)
Quote by aaron6890
just play with them, if you get bored rewrite music to be more technical, put your own spin on it, or just keep them as a side project and find some other musicians around you.

The thing is, the drummer isn't bothered to learn the stuff that I write or show him, he improvises his own beats, while they sound good, they don't really sound as "thick" as the ones I write, and when I ask him to learn the sheet and just play it to see how it sounds, he goes "I'm too lazy to read the tabs"
there is plenty of room for technical riffs in punk music, try to get your bandmates into that. Check out bands like nomeansno and even stuff like municipal waste
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
Quote by XianXiuHong

There are no other musicians in my school who would be willing to or be capable of playing the music that I do (I'm not trying to be arrogant, please don't get that impression, my school just generally sucks, being in Australia, it's all mainstream music and a few proper metalheads, who don't even attend my school or play guitar/bass/drums).

are you serious?!, my high school was full of shredders.

younger generation i spose different tastes

google 'melband' and sign up you'll find more ppl on there *if you live in melbourne*

if not there should be other music classifieds on the net somewhere for the rest of oz
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by bigtimmy
are you serious?!, my high school was full of shredders.

younger generation i spose different tastes

google 'melband' and sign up you'll find more ppl on there *if you live in melbourne*

if not there should be other music classifieds on the net somewhere for the rest of oz

Well, west Sydney (**** hits the fan all the time here) is full of rap/mainstream fans, you rarely find a shredder or metal guitarist who actually plays well or is free for a band, as rare as they are in my area.
Quote by XianXiuHong
The thing is, the drummer isn't bothered to learn the stuff that I write or show him, he improvises his own beats, while they sound good, they don't really sound as "thick" as the ones I write, and when I ask him to learn the sheet and just play it to see how it sounds, he goes "I'm too lazy to read the tabs"

ok try this out, record you guys playing, then play it back, and point out the flaws in it, and how you can improve it. but you cant force people to do things.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Well, west Sydney (**** hits the fan all the time here) is full of rap/mainstream fans, you rarely find a shredder or metal guitarist who actually plays well or is free for a band, as rare as they are in my area.

that sucks dude but i know ur pain. i've been searching for a band for ages after the last one split in jan 07.

cant find people to jam with who wanna be creative at large and live close(ish) by
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
my rule is... if you dont enjoy it then dont do it... no use doing something you dont enjoy
umm, you should just leave the band? nothing positive will ever come out of it if your minds are always scattered