Poll: Is jimi hendrix's star spangled banner disrespectful?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is jimi hendrix's star spangled banner disrespectful?
Yes it is
6 4%
no not at all
80 57%
Im from another country and dont care
55 39%
Voters: 141.
I was asked to do the star spangled banner at a horse track thats in my town today. so was wondering if it would be disrespectful to do the Jimi Hendrix version of the star spangled banner?
Team Coco
its not.
but non guitarists dont like it.

so if you do it, dont go all out with crazy over the top divebombs.
I don't think so, but then again, I'm not American. But even though I like the idea of doing it on guitar, I think it sounds damn horrible being so out of tune
Try a Ted Nugent versian of it, complete with bow and arrow. It rocks and is in tune, not quite as legendary, but good nonetheless
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
well the version im doing isn't going to be exactly as Jimi did it. but its gonna keep to that template of heavy distortion and feed back. I think it would be lame to do it the exact same way Jimi did it.
Team Coco
No. How in the world could it possibly be disrespectful?
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
No, but not everyone sees it that way.

I would say not to play it, it's different to play something like that when the people didn't come there specifically to watch you play guitar. Just play it without going crazy, throw in some wah and a nice subtle vibrato, it'll turn more heads than if you Hendrix it.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
No, but not everyone sees it that way.

I would say not to play it, it's different to play something like that when the people didn't come there specifically to watch you play guitar. Just play it without going crazy, throw in some wah and a nice subtle vibrato, it'll turn more heads than if you Hendrix it.

Ok
Team Coco
Do it minus the sound effects that Jimi put in there. Because he did that as a statement of protest to Vietnam. So. Yeah minus the whole WOOOOOOOSH BOOOOOOOOM. And just play the thing with a nice wah. Oh. And don't hold the notes too long, that was just Jimi tripping out and losing track of time while on acid.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by seanfysco
I was asked to do the star spangled banner at a horse track thats in my town today. so was wondering if it would be disrespectful to do the Jimi Hendrix version of the star spangled banner?
disrespectful, maybe. inappropriate, definitely.

when the national anthem it performed as an opening to a public function, it's sung.
i believe it would be very difficult to sing to the Hendrix version.

playing it in any other context where it's just played in the middle of a set, it's not at all disrespectful. unless you suck at guitar. then it's disrespectful to Jimi.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
When he did it, he performed it because he felt that it reflected the state that the country was in at the time, and that went over well with the crowd at woodstock. I say don't do it because even though that seems to be the current state of the country, the crowd you're playing for won't take it quite the same way, and they will probably find it rather annoying and less artsy than the hippies did.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by solid_moose
I don't get americas wierd ass views on patriotism and that, but I wouldn't say so.

Me neither. F*ck 'em if they don't like it, you can perform it any way YOU want to. Go crazy.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
To be honest, there are definitely more "tasteful" versions of it. Check out Boston's version. I like it a lot.

PS To those that don't understand how it could be disrespectful. Well, just listen to it. I can definitely see how someone could take that as a mockery of the anthem. The anthem is really more than just a song. It's about a country and its people who have given everything they had to defend it.I know that sounds lame, but that's just how it is viewed.
Seriously what the hell is it with Americans being so pissy about a f*cking anthem and flag that has to be folded a certain way. I seriously don't get that. You can be patriotic all you want just don't annoy people with it.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by Chips-
Quote by solid_moose
I don't get americas wierd ass views on patriotism and that, but I wouldn't say so.

Me neither. F*ck 'em if they don't like it, you can perform it any way YOU want to. Go crazy.
spoken like a true moron. he has been invited to perform with certain expectations in mind.

you don't agree to perform at oz-fest and decide play bluegrass when you get on stage.

you don't take a gig as a stand-up comedian and read a speech about accounting techniques.

you don't do these because it's not what you're expected to provide.
it would be inappropriate.

it has nothing to do with patriotism.
it has to do with meeting expectations.
clear it with the event organizers, fine.
ambush them with it, and you're an idiot.

"F*ck 'em if they don't like it" ? No. Grow the f*ck up.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
he can it be disrespectful? he covered it to show respect to America.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Yes its disrespectful. Forget SRV, Kirk Hammett, Marty Friedman, RHCP, G3 and all those other millions of guitarists who have covered Hendrix songs, when you do it, its disrespectful.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I don't think it's disrespectful, per se, but I don't recommend playing it.

For one, while not necessarily disrespectful, it's inappropriate for your setting.

Also, it's not all that pleasant to listen to, especially for a non-guitarist. The whammy moves in particular wouldn't have any meaning or value to anyone in the vicinity except for you. The whole middle section where Jimi departed from the actual melody of the anthem would just get sneers and confused, rude reactions.

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with "spicing it up" here and there. I play the Star-Spangled Banner for basketball games all the time, and my few-note runs, quick whammy bends, and perfect-fourth harmonization over the last part of the song go over very well with the crowd. But, and I cannot stress this enough, stick to the song.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
spoken like a true moron. he has been invited to perform with certain expectations in mind.

you don't agree to perform at oz-fest and decide play bluegrass when you get on stage.

you don't take a gig as a stand-up comedian and read a speech about accounting techniques.

you don't do these because it's not what you're expected to provide.
it would be inappropriate.

it has nothing to do with patriotism.
it has to do with meeting expectations.
clear it with the event organizers, fine.
ambush them with it, and you're an idiot.

"F*ck 'em if they don't like it" ? No. Grow the f*ck up.

Very well put
Quote by Rubbersoul 065
I don't think so...but honestly I don't think it sounds that great (although I do like Hendrix)

It's not supposed to sound great...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal