Hey, I've just signed up , I'm a 16 year old acoustic 'geetar' player . I've been playing for nearly two years now so I'm really only a beginner I guess.

I don't have any fancy 'gear' just an Ashton classical guitar , which I got in this beginner package but its doing me well.

Anyway

I don't know about you guys, but I have an absolute addiction to playing the guitar. Its honestly like some sort of drug, whenever I see someone playing a guitar I just wanna rip it out of their hands and play...same with if i see one or hear a good acoustic song I'll just wanna play.

At school I think about playing the guitar, and even tap my fingers in the way of certain fingerpicking songs I know. My guitar also follows me round the house ...so I can play in between TV ads and whenever you get that sudden "@$%# I wanna play the guitar" feeling.

Does anyone else have these same symptoms ? Haha.

Nato
Hey!!!
Oh my god!! ha ha i'm exactly the same!! i only signed up here yesterday and i absolutly love playing my guitar and at school i always tap my fingers and it really annoys my friends...ha ha...Oh well!!
I havent being playing as long as you, i've only been playing for about 8 months but i'm getting good =D. The only prob is that i haven't got a clue what to play next...so any suggestions for good acoustic songs??!!

btw, don't you just love turning songs that were meant for electric into acoustic??!! =D

** emma **
Yo! Welcome to UG!
I've been playing since I was 15, and I am now 45. Guess what? That feeling never, ever, goes away! I still do that finger tapping thing, still want to whip out my axe and play when I hear a particular song, and still GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome) for new equipment all the time.
ya thats kinda true. its not only you, most guitarist feels the same way, some like me feels soooo mad sometimes when they sit and lsn to some1 better than them playin so they go through the whole night practicing and practicing and practicing until your fingers are full of blisters and swollen like hell... and LeftDave is right.. u never grow old for it, its hunting until the end
I feel the same kinda thing generally, though I've become a lot more "humble" and less exhibitionist with my guitar playing over the years, even though I've only been playing for 6.

I realized that I don't like when people bring guitars around to show off, nor do I like when, while I'm playing, a wholely unwarranted amount of people ask me to:

1) play a song they know
2) let them play a song they know
3) write a song for them

So because of that, I don't really play in public and don't get the urge to play someone else's guitar, because it's a bit more showmanship than I am fond of.

I too, however, still love the instrument. It's kind of taken a backseat to other things in my recent life, but that's entirely understandable and I am perfectly fine with it; I still find time to write a new song here and there, and I'm always learning, either from listening to people, listening to music, or learning a new piece. The love for the instrument definitely has not left me, even though I only pick up the guitar once every few days.

But I too used to compose in class, think up rhythms and chords and melodies, and even work on finger dexterity while sitting there at my desk
My God, it's full of stars!
Welcome to UG Nat!

I've been playing for a little over a year now. I'm usually in my room next to this computer and my guitar sits on a stand right beside me all the time(during the summer anyway). I just love taking it off the stand and just playing a little chord progression and then putting it back. It makes my day just a little bit happier
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Haha nice to see some fellow addicts.

Yeah captivate mine also sits next to my computer so its great distraction for procrastinating.

Yeah diamondstars: i agree bout the electric to acoustic thing... my brothers always say i should get an electric because its 'so much better' but i love the acoustic sound and i can play electric songs on acoustic so i have the best of both worlds right now.

Im not sure about about acoustic songs for you to play because i don't know what level your at but one i just learnt after seeing the movie 'Once' (awesome movie about a guitarist and this girl you've gotta see it) is a song called Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard. Its easy with some finger picking and strumming

What are some songs you've been learning so far diamondstars?
Haha, its great knowing I'm not the only addict around. My guitar is right beside my bed, and pretty close to my computer. So I would always pick it up and mess around with it for a few minutes and carry on with what I was doing.
It's fun knowing that you guys also have the habit of doing finger exercises when we're outside and really should be concentrating on a class or something else =D
Hey natalie13!! Well, the last song i learnt was folkin around by panic at the disco just cos i felt in that mood and before that i did a modern myth by 30seconds to mars...cos it's such a beautiful song...and loads of others as well!! ha ha...its unbelievable how addictive you can get to playing the guitar...

btw, i might go and see that movie and find that song...thanks for the heads up natalie!!

oh, avenger...yeah in class i can't stop doing finger exercises...people have started to think i have a problem with my hands!! oh well!! =D
natalie13 i'm just listening to song now....its so beautiful!!! i might learn that soon!!! thank you!!!
=D
hey man yep im the same way. i get ticked when i have plans to play guitar one afternoon after school and then parents or whatever gets in my way of playing...
Quote by avenger86
Haha, its great knowing I'm not the only addict around. My guitar is right beside my bed, and pretty close to my computer. So I would always pick it up and mess around with it for a few minutes and carry on with what I was doing.
It's fun knowing that you guys also have the habit of doing finger exercises when we're outside and really should be concentrating on a class or something else =D

Of course you aren't the only addict! What kind of people would come on a guitar forum otherwise? Haha
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yah something about the guitar fills your soul with delight.
Theres only four thigs i need in my life
Friends
Guitar
Weed
Beer

thats it and i think the guitar is right up there with friends, its just so good for the body and mind i think something about playing that six string box just makes my day.
I actually find my fingers twitching if I go for too long without playing. It's like a sickness, I constantly think about my guitar or I'll have some progression or scale stuck in my head when I'm at work or somthing, and I'll almost drive myself nuts thinking of 10²² different possibilities

I can be having the worst day, and as soon as I feel bronze on my fingertips, everything is right with the world again
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
The desire doesn't fade as long as you keep feeding it. I'm going on a decade playing and this thread has inspired me to get off the computer to go pluck a few songs. Thanks!
see i think what makes guitar different than everything else, is that guitar isnt an instrument its a lifestyle, it isnt an instrument you sit down and practice for 30 min everyday scheduled. its an instrument that you sit around with and just play, and you want to play all the time and you want to learn everything about it. and i think these internet forums contribute to that, guitar is the only instrument with such a world wide data base of information, its so easy to learn and there is so much to learn you just dont want to stop. i love guitar, i get labled for playing guitar all the time but its just basicly sitting around with my guitar and playing on and off, i love guitar and my greatest fear is that i
ll loose interest and stop playing. but man every serious guitar player gets this, it takes awhile, but i remember when i first felt this way and i started practicing so much more.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
yeah when i first started playing i would have periods of weeks ... (even months, shamefully), not playing because when you are only learning like Wild Thing and some scales you lose a bit of motivation but now i can just choose a song in my level and get it down right away or take a couple of practice sessions

also so many of my friends have gotten guitars but they just gave up and now they have these brand new guitars out of tune gathering dust in their bedrooms. im so glad ive kept at it. :-)
Quote by Dreadnought
I feel the same kinda thing generally, though I've become a lot more "humble" and less exhibitionist with my guitar playing over the years, even though I've only been playing for 6.

I realized that I don't like when people bring guitars around to show off, nor do I like when, while I'm playing, a wholely unwarranted amount of people ask me to:

1) play a song they know
2) let them play a song they know
3) write a song for them

So because of that, I don't really play in public and don't get the urge to play someone else's guitar, because it's a bit more showmanship than I am fond of.

I too, however, still love the instrument. It's kind of taken a backseat to other things in my recent life, but that's entirely understandable and I am perfectly fine with it; I still find time to write a new song here and there, and I'm always learning, either from listening to people, listening to music, or learning a new piece. The love for the instrument definitely has not left me, even though I only pick up the guitar once every few days.

But I too used to compose in class, think up rhythms and chords and melodies, and even work on finger dexterity while sitting there at my desk

not to give you glory =)

but i admire that attitude, i hate show off musicians,
musicians that whenever they saw another musician playing the guitar, some evil stuff building up in their mind, "oh... im better than him, let me do it my way, let me show what i got"
zzz

Keep it up Dread =)
Good musicians is not based on the skill but on the passion of playing and the shape of their music and attitude =)

Godbless
Welcome to the world of Addict hahahahah

i do feel the same thing tho im not that good on guitar,
ive been playing for 1 year and a month now,
i play in the morning and some reading stuff as rest, then pick up my guitar again doing some exercises stuff,
and the worst!
i cant sleep without playing the guitar o.O
i play till 3am mid night woh
my mom shouts!
Hey! we cant sleep stop playing, or else i gonna smash that guitar on your head so you can fall asleep too hahahah

=)
Quote by DumbKim
Welcome to the world of Addict hahahahah

i do feel the same thing tho im not that good on guitar,
ive been playing for 1 year and a month now,
i play in the morning and some reading stuff as rest, then pick up my guitar again doing some exercises stuff,
and the worst!
i cant sleep without playing the guitar o.O
i play till 3am mid night woh
my mom shouts!
Hey! we cant sleep stop playing, or else i gonna smash that guitar on your head so you can fall asleep too hahahah

=)

lol past midnight too trying to be quiet but still hear shouting haha

the tips of my fret fingers are really hard from calluses (spelling :S) and the nails are short but on my right hand there is no calluses and long finger nails! lol i must look like a freak to most people...guitarists would understand though
yeh ive bee playng nonstop for 1 year now and im addicted still. The first guitar i bought was an ashton classical with a starter pack and i was hooked. Then i bought an acoustic and its so cool. Now all i got 2 do is wait to get an electric guitar but no rush since i play for like 3 hours a day and on weekdays 8 hours average.
i'm kind of in the same boat as dready about playing... i don't play nearly as much as i'd like to. i probably pick up a guitar 3 times a week or so.

but this is no indication of my acoustic addiction it's just an indication of me being busy! i'm crazy addicted to acoustic guitars.
Welcome to the club!.
Been playing for around 5 years almost everyday and the addiction keep growing.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
ah cool...the addiction can get worse than it is already?! haha

so after five years how good are you, because i look at my guitar teacher and stuff and hes so bloody good ....like im good for my level after nearly two years but i just cannot picture myself getting to that point. but yeah i dunno
Haha, yeah, I'm hopeless addict. Been playing for about a year and a half.

My addiction is kinda weird though, I feel more of an urge to play my acoustic than my electric even though I'm a big metal fan and my electric is 10 times nicer than my acoustic.

Odd much?
Quote by natalie13
ah cool...the addiction can get worse than it is already?! haha

so after five years how good are you, because i look at my guitar teacher and stuff and hes so bloody good ....like im good for my level after nearly two years but i just cannot picture myself getting to that point. but yeah i dunno

I could say that when i started playing, never imagined myself that i could play what i can play now, so is pretty normal if you're getting the same feeling. Doesn't matter how good you are right now in terms of comparison with other guitarists, the most important thing is that you're having fun playing/learning and you're getting better everyday.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i feel exactly the same
i've been playing for little over a year now and started with electric, then i bought an ashton electro-acoustic and i just love it.
i watched tommy emmanuel play and i was like
my ambition is to play anything that comes into my head and allows me to express myself and do my feelings justice!