Hey, I plan on making my first ever mods to one of my guitars, my first guitar - a Squier Bullet Strat.
I've been thinking about this for a while and this is what I want to customize on it;

Change the neck and bridge pickups to one EMG S1 and the other to an EMG S2.
I also want to replace the neck with one of a Fender Mexican Strat.
All I'd be keeping the same would be the Squier body.

Now, is this worth doing, worth the money etc, or not?
I want to get a nice crunchy sound out of it, but I want a nice warm clean tone also.

If anyone also has any ideas for better pickups or a better neck, please tell.
Yo bro.
I've got a Strat Copy that some guy gave to me and it has EMGs in it. For a free guitar, it sounds awesome. I would recommend getting a real neck though.
i prefer the squier necks to fender tbh^

if you want good clean tone as well s crunch then go for some passive humbuckers not EMGs, especially if you dont have a valve amp.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
i prefer the squier necks to fender tbh^

if you want good clean tone as well s crunch then go for some passive humbuckers not EMGs, especially if you dont have a valve amp.

Ignore this guy. He's just jumping on the "don't use EMGs on an SS amp" bandwagon.

EMGs can give some of the best clean sounds around if used properly with either a tube amp or an SS amp. Just like you should be able to go from a crunch sound to a heavily distorted sound easily.

And people, get this through your head...

ACTIVE AND PASSIVE DO NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

What really matters is the OUTPUT of the pickup, and how much you will use your volume and tone knobs! There are much higher output pickups than EMGs - and a lot of them are passive. What you should focus on is the tone of the pickup in your specific guitar, playing through whatever amp you will continue to use it with.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
Ignore this guy. 1) He's just jumping on the "don't use EMGs on an SS amp" bandwagon.

EMGs can give some of the best clean sounds around if used properly with either a tube amp or an SS amp. Just like you should be able to go from a crunch sound to a heavily distorted sound easily.

And people, get this through your head...

2)ACTIVE AND PASSIVE DO NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

3)What really matters is the OUTPUT of the pickup, and how much you will use your volume and tone knobs! There are much higher output pickups than EMGs - and a lot of them are passive. What you should focus on is the tone of the pickup in your specific guitar, playing through whatever amp you will continue to use it with.

1) i have been limited to the ss amps ive tried them in and that could be cause of **** tone...and they dont work.

2) your joking right?

3) ok, i agree mistake on my behalf, i meant medium output vs emgs if you want rock crunch and decent cleans.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
not worth it b/c the body is made out of ****ty wood. You'd get better tone and better action, but it'd still suffer b/c of the basswood or plywood whatever it is. Best to start from scratch.
i'd recommend cheaper pickups, that way if you c*ck up it hasn't really cost that much, just use it as a learning experience as your first mod, squires make great mods, and if it goes ok you can always put better pickups in later

Lewis
EMGs are not for clean/crunch stuff...that first.
Then...Why don't you buy a HSS fender MIM strat if you don't like the neck?
if you just want to mod it for fun and to get some experience...then yeah...go ahead.
But I understood that you're wanting to play it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Squiers are fun to mod IF you dont have to spend a bunch of cash to do it. Buying a neck and EMG pickups will come close to excedding the cost of a new guitar. Ive modded my squier but had all the parts here at the house from other projects. Also the batt may be an issue with a squier.

And yes there is a huge difference in active and passive pickups. And yes they do sound like crap thru a SS amp. Its not a bandwagon, 1 of my guitars has EMGs and I have a SS and a tube amp. I prefer lower output pickups to the higher ones its really easy to boost a low output signal but not so easy to clean up a really high output signal.
OK guys, thanks for the input.
Yo bro.
Last edited by Joel. at May 28, 2008,
And isn't the bullet strat smaller than normal? Therefore a MIM neck will have the wrong scale length (and be too big for the neck pocket)
Mate if you like the feel of the guitar then go ahead.

BUT if you hate the feel, pickups won't change that.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by Joel.
Hey, I plan on making my first ever mods to one of my guitars, my first guitar - a Squier Bullet Strat.
I've been thinking about this for a while and this is what I want to customize on it;

Change the neck and bridge pickups to one EMG S1 and the other to an EMG S2.
I also want to replace the neck with one of a Fender Mexican Strat.
All I'd be keeping the same would be the Squier body.

Now, is this worth doing, worth the money etc, or not?
I want to get a nice crunchy sound out of it, but I want a nice warm clean tone also.

If anyone also has any ideas for better pickups or a better neck, please tell.

Any mod will be worth the money if you learn something from the exercise. If you like the feel of the MIM neck so much, I'd recommend going all out and getting a replacement Alder or Ash Strat body or copy ... and only because I'm thinking that the newer or most Squier Bullets are plywood. If not, sweet!

If you're not comfortable with modding, yet, it only means you haven't done enough research. Read up until the sequencing and steps involved are truly embedded in your mind.

It'll be beneficial to watch the budget and understand the Bang for the $$$ for each upgrade cost. For example, it might be more prudent to invest in a better bridge and inexpensive PUs instead of using most of your $$$ on relatively expensive PUs, etc.

Good Luck!