Hey everyone!!!
so i've been playing the acoustic guitar for around 8 months now!
I'm getting really good, and i practise at every possible
opportunity and i've learnt around 14 songs....but sometimes, it just feels like i'm getting nowhere. I don't know if it's because i don't know what
song to do next, strumming patterns or because i'm not
as experienced....or whatever

So anyway, this is where you come in... i was wondering if
you can give me some tips or advice or anything that will
help me...cos like i said it feels like i'm getting nowhere....

Oooo....and while i'm here can anyone give any suggestions
for good songs i could play....i like stuff like MCR, FOB,Foo Fighters,
Green Day...etc

thank you!!!!
you could try "good riddance" by greenday , or start attempting some good fingerpicking songs like classical gas..
just keep practicing .. and try to better your playing ability not just learning songs .. try different strumming patterns and chord progressions and scales and fingerpicking techniques .. then when you want to learn a song it will be easy as pie .. lol .. well maybe not pie .. well say easy as spaghetti
Hey it's me again!!!

Thanks guys! I reckon that will help me a lot =D

Anymore tips anyone?!?!
o and try to learn challenging songs .. if it takes you awhile to learn it then that means you picked the right song and your improving your skills .. you should try blackbird or here comes the sun
Yea try a song that its hard but not out ofyour reach, record yourself playing it like once a week, and check your progress every week, so you KNOW you're getting better and see what your mistakes are so you can correct them
Hey guys!! thanks again!! they'll be helpful =D

timmyinpajamas, for the last couple of hours i've been practicing different strumming patterns and different progressions and stuff...hopefully if i carry on, your advice will work =D

el rulfo, that is a good idea, i've never heard that before...but i'm gonna try it!!

Thank you!!!
my advice is actually just to take lots of time to thorougly enjoy playing guitar instead of just learning songs. make up a random riff. make some funky chord progressions. mix up some skills from the songs you already know. there's nothing better to do on a guitar than that for me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
if you like the foo's and you are into acoustic then you should try to learn Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners. I dont know it, but its a kick ass song and it doesnt seem that easy.
maybe you can try this song following el rulfo's advice
Quote by Just_Matt
if you like the foo's and you are into acoustic then you should try to learn Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners. I dont know it, but its a kick ass song and it doesnt seem that easy.
maybe you can try this song following el rulfo's advice

+1
Quote by zadzior
Sir, Awesome stuff. You have my respect!
Quote by neon-black
aw i love your song! sell it n' it would deffo be a smash!
Quote by veggiederek
this is great. you've got the words!
Quote by kiaraiswicked
... Wauw... It really paints a picture and leaves the rest up to the imagination!
Learn scales, and the notes on your fretboard. Know what keys are and how to effectively change between them. Improvise often, and play with other musicians at every possible opportunity.

And have fun!
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at May 27, 2008,
I got something for you to practice man, it's a simple scale. The Pentatonic Minor scale. There is a great lesson on UG about this and the Major scale, I'll toss you a sample of the Minor to save you some time, but I do recommend you check out the lesson.

e|-|-O-|---|---|-O-|
B|-|-O-|---|---|-O-|
G|-|-O-|---|-O-|---|
D|-|-O-|---|-O-|---|
A|-|-O-|---|-O-|---|
E|-|-O-|---|---|-O-|
^ Nut.
thanks guys!! you're such a great help!! i can't wait to start trying the advice =D.

Just_matt , i agree i've got their album with that song on, i might start learning that!! =D

Captivate, yeah i think i might just make some random stuff up...thats a good idea thank you!!