I was thinkin of getting one of these, but before that i just wanted to check with the infinite knowledge of UG users as to whether buying it is a good idea. The price is £200, and i need something to play metal through.. bands like bullet for my valentine, slipknot, any metal really. i'd also be using a boss gt-8 pedal with it. what do people think?
I play an Ibanez S520EX through the Bandit 112, and I find it sounds great. I play metal too - Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Lamb of God etc.
It sounds good for what it is but it's nothing to brag about.
Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix will probably sound better. Or save up for a Tube amp.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
yeah, im not sure about tube amps. it seems kinda pointless since i'd be putting a pedal through it anyway. and from what i hear, they need a lot more maintainance that other types of amps.
Define "more maintainance."

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
well, you'll have to replace the tubes every now and then, and tubes can be quite fragile and as i said, if im just gonna put digital effects through it anyway, is a tube amp worthwhile?
I've heard conflicting schools of thought, especially with your caveat of "putting digital effects through it," but you shouldn't let the tube replacement dissuade you. However, I'm not a huge uber "OMG SS are the suxors" kinda guy, I've played both over the years and to each his own for whatever his or her needs are. I just wanted you know that the tube replacement issue isn't that big of a deal. Running digital effects though...that might kind of defeat the purpose. But like I said...I've heard conflicting schools of thought, and I've never actually run dig effects through a tube amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
ok, thanks man, at least that cleared up about tube amps.. maybe one day i'll get one, but right now i've got a Boss GT-8 pedal that cost me £240 so i wanna get my use out of that. I think I'll carry on looking at this kind of amp, although a lot of people have said that i could get a lot better than this Peavey..
Well, have you ever thought about taking your GT-8 and your guitar to stores and test driving amps with your own setup? Most places are pretty cool about stuff like that, especially if you are serious about getting something.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have indeed thought about that. But my problem there is transport. My only way of travelling is likely to be by train and i dont have any way of transporting my GT-8, I have no case for it. If i could, that would be my ideal solution.
Too big for a backpack?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
oh no, it is too big lol. well maybe i'll just have to get something to carry it in, coz taking it with my guitar to test amps sounds like the best idea so far

EDIT: sorry for triple posting my own thread!
Last edited by SOADplayer2 at May 27, 2008,
Quote by BaffAttack
Running digital effects though...that might kind of defeat the purpose. But like I said...I've heard conflicting schools of thought, and I've never actually run dig effects through a tube amp.
In my experience you still get the benefits of tube even when using digital FX. Both my Peavey Bandit and Fender Deluxe 900 sounded harsher than my tube amps using multifx or analog pedals. The strength of the Bandit is that is has a pretty good sounding crunch channel for classic rock tones. You can run modeling Fx like the GT-8 into a PA or keyboard amp with good results.
The Bandit is good for the price. I have them at my school, and IMO they're pretty muddy on the high gain, the "vintage" mode sounds a bit... harsh? I dunno how to really describe it. If you flick the switch between modern and vintage you get a really scooped sound (which I don't really like). The cleans are really nice, but the distortion lets the amp down IMO.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa