So my computer has been recently being doing it's own thing

It starts randomly opening programmes and is shutting it self down. Then the keyboard is randomy working and not working.

I have ran a virus check on both drives and have checked it with Ad-Aware but nothing to be found.

What are the possible causes for this and what do you think I should do?

Inb4 my computer has AIDS

Your computer has AIDS.

But seriously, what anti-virus program did you use? If you say Norton I'm gonna flip a sh!t.

Many things could be happening. Hardware failure due to really old parts, a fan might not be spinning up right to keep things cool enough, a REALLY good virus might be in place, you might need to do a complete system restore... also, is this a pre-built system, or did you build it yourself? And if it's pre-built, who built it (Dell, HP, etc.)?

EDIT: Try a defragmentation. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a computer seem like it's completely screwed, only to find out that the person didn't even know what defragmenting was. Also, a disk cleanup might be in order as well.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
SuperAtniSpyware, AVG, AdAware: Run 'em all, then scandisk, then defrag.

Start>Run>msconfig
Google everything on the list, disable what you can.
^ Repeat that for all the running processes after you've rebooted.

If that fails, run a HijackThis scan and post the log on their forums.

[/thread]
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
lol scan your computer. And destroy the spyware.

Lol read the post.

Quote by mafropetee

Your computer has AIDS.

But seriously, what anti-virus program did you use? If you say Norton I'm gonna flip a sh!t.

Many things could be happening. Hardware failure due to really old parts, a fan might not be spinning up right to keep things cool enough, a REALLY good virus might be in place, you might need to do a complete system restore... also, is this a pre-built system, or did you build it yourself? And if it's pre-built, who built it (Dell, HP, etc.)?

I'm using AVG
It's pre-built by Dell
Quote by St.Loony
Lol read the post.

I'm using AVG
It's pre-built by Dell

Good and good. AVG FTW. Call dell's tech support if the defrag and cleanup don't work. They are actually quite helpful in my experience. And if it's still under warrenty, all the better. They have some of the best warranties in the computer business.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
last resort if all else fails grab combofix (save it to your desktop as combo-fix) and run it...

some computers **** them selves after this, aprox. 1 in 100 infact. so it is a last resort can't stress this enough, use it at your own peril.
saying that it fixed my computer which was doing some of the things you listed plus some
good luck
Livin For the Music

dimebag420666 wrote:

i play guitar with my penis
Quote by mafropetee
Good and good. AVG FTW. Call dell's tech support if the defrag and cleanup don't work. They are actually quite helpful in my experience. And if it's still under warrenty, all the better. They have some of the best warranties in the computer business.

Will do a defrag tonight before I go to bed. Going to try a system restore now. Not very keen on ringing Dell to be completely honest but will do as a last resort.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'll be back...

P.S, Thanks CLaSH88 for that suggestion!

St.Update:-

Mum suggested that it could be the keyboard doing shortcuts. It is being wierd since when I press F5 to refresh, "search" comes up . Will do a System Restore to be on the safe side though
Last edited by St.Loony at May 27, 2008,