Ok... in my rockschool grade 6 guitar book there is a theory question which asks me for the construction of the major 7, diminished and minor 7th scale..... i know the answers to chord construction for these but not the scale one..... could someone please tell me the answer? cheers, Aidan
Major 7 = r 3 5 7
Diminished 7 = r b3 b5 bb7
Minor 7 = r b3 5 b7

Major scale = r 2 3 4 5 6 7
Minor scale = r 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Diminished scale = r 2 b3 4 b5 b6 bb7 (not sure on this)

You may need to clarify what you are asking, because major 7 and minor 7 are not scales
thats what i thought, yet it deffinatly says in my book that it asks for the construction of the dorian and phyrgian, diminished, major 7th, minor 7th and harmonic minor. now i now know all of them except major 7th and minor 7th scales
Maybe it means the scales the chords are derived from. Though then the minor seventh scale would end up being Dorian just like major seventh would end up being ionian, which you're already asked for in the book.

There is a diminished scale, though I don't know the interval pattern.
hmmmm..... i think i might ring rockschool about this as it has confused me, my guitar teacher and even Branny!!!!!! =O and nothing confuses him

/sucking upto branny
Quote by one vision
I've never even heard of that. I guess major 7th would be harmonic minor... Since it has a major 7th instead of a minor 7th interval.

no couldn't major 7 chord has 1 3 (5) 7

i assume the scale would be similiar
song stuck in my head today

Quote by branny1982
Major 7 = r 3 5 7
Diminished 7 = r b3 b5 bb7
Minor 7 = r b3 5 b7

Major scale = r 2 3 4 5 6 7
Minor scale = r 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Diminished scale = r 2 b3 4 b5 b6 bb7 (not sure on this)

You may need to clarify what you are asking, because major 7 and minor 7 are not scales

i was reading one of my books and it says there are 2 diminished scales. 8 note scales and has nothing to do with a vii0 in this book thought someone would be interested

1diminished whole half

H W H W H W H W

intervals
1 b2 b3 b4 b5 5 6 b7

2 diminished half whole

W H W H W H W H

intervals

1 2 b3 4 b5 #5 6 7

it says they are good to play over V7 chords especially witha b5 and a raised or lowered 9ths

it says basically there are only 3 diferent scales C C# D for this all others are enharmonic 2 these 3 so they're there but just enharmonic

i don't think this helped you at all just thought i would share

Quote by lbc_sublime
no couldn't major 7 chord has 1 3 (5) 7

i assume the scale would be similiar

I mean the Major 7th interval, which is the leading note in the harmonic minor scale. I've never heard of a 7th SCALE, maybe TS means arpeggios. Probably not though.
Quote by one vision
I mean the Major 7th interval, which is the leading note in the harmonic minor scale. I've never heard of a 7th SCALE, maybe TS means arpeggios. Probably not though.

no i just don't understand where you are getting minor from for harmonic minor that is all

not to sound rude or anything

Quote by lbc_sublime

diminished whole half
H W H W H W H W

intervals
1 b2 b3 b4 b5 5 6 b7

diminished half whole
W H W H W H W H

intervals
1 2 b3 4 b5 #5 6 7

i think you may have the names for those scales the wrong way around??? whole half whould be w h w h...
half whole should be h w h w h w... etc
no?

The scale i quoted was the whole half, but i incorrectly altered it from 8 tones to 7 and called the #5 a b6 and the 6 a bb7.... for some reason this made sense at the time, but i see it was silly now.
Quote by branny1982
i think you may have the names for those scales the wrong way around??? whole half whould be w h w h...
half whole should be h w h w h w... etc
no?

The scale i quoted was the whole half, but i incorrectly altered it from 8 tones to 7 and called the #5 a b6 and the 6 a bb7.... for some reason this made sense at the time, but i see it was silly now.

yeah i do i wasn't paying attention lol my brain is dead when i just come home from work

Quote by one vision

Nope, deffinatly scales