Page 1 of 2
Hey there again. Well as some of you have proberly seen i was pretty set on getting the ibanez rg1570, but i just saw the jackson sl3. Now i was just wondering which of these guitar you woudl think is better bearing in mind im LEFTY, play anything really from t-rex to megadeth to george benson to garry moore to sabbath. So i need something which is versatile. And why is the sl3 so much cheaper than the other soloists? I assume its cause its not made in the USA. Anyway which has the better trem. Im not to bothered about pickups cause i will almost certainly swap them out for bareknuckles anyway and and proberly make the middle single coil, and the neck maybe minibucker. Im thinking maybe the jackson would be more suited providing i could get a good humbucker and single coil sound out of neck. Anyway ill leave it to you guys on this, also any other good guitars in that pricerange which are availible in lefty in the UK (can order online)

Cheers
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
1. Go to a guitar shop

2. Play all the guitars

3. Pick your favourite

We can't decide for you.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Id go for Ibanez because I like them and they sound very good to me, but its just my personal opinion. I think you should try the out.
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had...
yeah i know i need to play them, but im lefty so its very hard to try any floyd rose guitar. Secondly i live on the isle of wight so i have to pay £80 for each ferry crossing, and if i find the guitar i like there but dont know if the trems good then without the help of UG i could end up wasting almost a £1k. So I am really exploring every possibly avenue i can think off.

So... so far you guys are saying the ibby trem is better? And what about neck through, i gather that it will give more sustain, but what about action/playability and the rest of it? Also is basswood any good for classic rock or would the alder in the jackson be more suited
Quote by Phill-Rock
1. Go to a guitar shop

2. Play all the guitars

3. Pick your favourite

We can't decide for you.

This sounds good, but there are many brands out there that any and all shops won't have available to try.
Then you are limited to what THEY (within driving distance) have available.
Not every Ibanez dealer has every model in every color.

So......try what's available to you, but don't disregard something because you can't put it in your hands.
Some brands like Carvin for example you can't try at your local shops.
The Jackson LFR isnt bad at all. In fact, i wouldnt be so sure that the ibanez trem would be better at all.

I would go for the Jackson. Because you wont need to change the neck and middle pickup: there are already single-coil sized humbuckers in there. Read here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/hot_rails_for_s/

The only differences with the USA ones are these:
- MIJ
- Rosewood fretboard
- LFR
- Maple veneer instead of maple top.

Anyway, the Jackson plays and sounds alot better then the RG (ive had both). But i dont know if you will find a lefty. And thats a bummer. If you can find an RG lefty, but not the SL3, id go for the RG. Upper fret access is fecked when you play a superstrat upsidedown. But the RG will have the same problem offcourse.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
just outa interest LP_CL what guitar have you brought now having owned both of those? And how much better will an ebony freboard play over a rosewood one? I take it the standard in japan are good, if not better than america? And i was reading that the trem on the jackso is a low profile one, so does that that mean that the fine tuners are lower down? And i want a rock solid trem, cause that will get on my nerves if it goes outa tune are some divebombs and what not. And whats the difference between maple top and maple veneer. And what does a maple top do to the sound? Brighten it up?

Also why did you say the jacko plays better
just reading some more reviews on the jacksound do you think the HSS would offer more versatility than the HSH. And everyone is saying the neck plays like butter, and its sustains like a beast. If the tremelo was up to scratch is routed so i could put a floyd in at a later date?
If you're not bothered about pickups, then the Ibanez is the better choice, and I would say it is anyway. But like said it's always up to you and even though it can be hard to find them in sotck and lefty, it's really worth trying as hard as you can to find one to play before you buy.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
sl3 has an ofr...

as i said on the BKP forum, i'd say it's much of a muchness... they're both nice guitars. i can't really help more than that... i know you can't try them easily (which sucks), but they're so close in quality that it's likely down to which neck you prefer the feel of more...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Phill-Rock
1. Go to a guitar shop

2. Play all the guitars

3. Pick your favourite

We can't decide for you.

Do what this man tells you. Or not and be...mentally challenged for lack of a better word.
so the trems are pretty much the same and both should hold tune very well. Whats the difference in necks?
Quote by Varkunus
just outa interest LP_CL what guitar have you brought now having owned both of those? And how much better will an ebony freboard play over a rosewood one? I take it the standard in japan are good, if not better than america? And i was reading that the trem on the jackso is a low profile one, so does that that mean that the fine tuners are lower down? And i want a rock solid trem, cause that will get on my nerves if it goes outa tune are some divebombs and what not. And whats the difference between maple top and maple veneer. And what does a maple top do to the sound? Brighten it up?

Also why did you say the jacko plays better

I dont completely understand what you say, but here is an answer to what i think you said:
- I got rid of those two guitars because i didnt play the RG1570 anymore and i wanted a USA SL2H. So i needed money for that, and i knew that if i had the SL2H i wouldnt need the SL3 anymore.
- I personally prefer the ebony fretboard. It 'feels' better, and it sounds clearer. But thats a pure personal thing.
- Japanese guitars are made very well, but USA ones still are better made.
- The Jackson Floyd is rock solid, believe me. And i know it sais Floyd Rose® FRT-O2000 Tremolo, but thats a real FR (not licensed). Floyd rose confirmed it when i emailed them. If you string your guitar correctly, it should stay in tune.
- Maple veneer is a very thin slice of maple, that is put on top of the body, so it would look like theres a maple top. But its just SO thin that it doesnt influence the sound. Maple tops are alot thicker, and do influence the sound. It brightens it up.
- the difference in neck is the difference between neckthru and bolt on. Neckthru has more sustain and better upper fret access. For the rest: they are both fast and thin necks, you should try them out to know what you prefer.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 27, 2008,
but with maple wings would the sound need brightening up? And which would you rate best outa the rg1570 and the sl3? Both trem wise, necks, body wood quality etc. How much behind is the work of the japenese luithers over the american ones?

Also with the ebony fretboard does it feel like maple or rosewood? Cause i heard rumours that an average maple>average rosewood. Good rosewood>good maple. And i also heard maple is smoother but rosewood is quicker
LP_CL PM me your msn please
Quote by Varkunus
but with maple wings would the sound need brightening up? And which would you rate best outa the rg1570 and the sl3? Both trem wise, necks, body wood quality etc. How much behind is the work of the japenese luithers over the american ones?

Also with the ebony fretboard does it feel like maple or rosewood? Cause i heard rumours that an average maple>average rosewood. Good rosewood>good maple. And i also heard maple is smoother but rosewood is quicker

trem: DEFINATLY the sl3
neck: personally sl3
body wood: both fine
As i already said: Japanese luthiers are great, but americans are superb in the details. (wood drys longer, higher quality woods, better fretting, ...) Noticeable? Yes. Worth the extra money? Pfff. If you have the money and you want to spend it: yes, otherwise: no

About the fretboards: all rubish. Maple isnt better then rosewood, and rosewood isnt better than maple, and ebony isnt better than rosewood. Its all preferences.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Varkunus
LP_CL PM me your msn please

I like to help you out, but i wont give that to you. Sorry. You just will have to hit the refresh button.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
well have mine its lord_varkunus@hotmail.com feel free to add me, just talk about it then block me if you want. Anyway are you a jacko fanboy or something because everyone says the edge pro>o200.

And if you would rate the american luithers 100/100 what would you rate the japs?

Also the reviews on harmony central seem much better for the rg
Im not saying you HAVE to take the SL3. If you want to go for the ibanez, fine. But reviews on the internet are always full of ****. The best way to find out really is go test them. Only then you will know for sure which guitar suits you best.
Anyway. If you go for the Soloist or the RG, either way you will be very happy.
As for the trems: the edge pro is very good, but i prefer the Floyd. It stays better in tune.
Japs: 75-80/100
Now im gonna catch some sleep, its 3 AM over here.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
lol 3 am here aswell. Anyway i not baised on the jacko vs ibanez. Personally i think the jacksons look better, but i aint buying a 1k guitar based on looks. And im reading up and it appears the sl3 does have an official floyd rose. Anyway im debating just to save up for ages and ages, and buy the sl1. I mean if i buy the sl3 will i just find myself wanting a new guitar in like 2 years down the road. If i brought the SL1 i would have to work for 2 or 3 summers part time. And I still wouldnt be able to afford an ENGL blackmore
I think the SL3 will keep you busy for at least a couple of years. Its more than enough to gig. There are alot of bands who gig alot with guitars that are far from the quality of the SL3. It is a professional instrument, let that be clear...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
yh but i know my music tastes wont change, as i already like every style of music out there as mensioned before. But i dont want to find myself craving a new guitar in a few years time. So say i had the pickups upgraded to bareknuckles, i replaced all the pots to high quality ones, had the frets professionally levelled, and a mid boost or w/e miniswitch installed. How would this compare to an american one? Because then wouldnt the only difference be the maple top (which might make it sound to bright anyway) and the ebony fretboard, which is personal preference. My teacher owns a levi blade with ebony board so Ill test that out when i get the chance. And from what I can read the necks are identical on the sl1 and sl3
In the american version there are no bareknuckles. And there would still be a wood quality difference. But frankly, i wouldnt do all these efforts if i were you. First play the guitar as it is for a while. You might like it just like it is. And later on you still can decide if you want to make changes. And these decisions will be more profound than impulsive decisions like immediatly changing alot of things.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
hhhhm, but if i levelled the frets on the sl3 would it play aswell as the sl1?
There is still the ebony fretboard that has another feel. But it would play as good, yes. Different, but as good as.
*EDIT* If i were you, i wouldonly give some money for a good overall setup. Low action, intonation, new strings (stock strings could be up there for a long time). That will do more than level frets or anything else.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 27, 2008,
Right so providing I like the rosewood fretboard more i should be set? And how do they vary in sound? The USA is brighter?
I dont know. I have the SL2H, not the sl1, so i have other pickups. At least for the neck. I had a '59 in there, but i changed it into a APH1 which i can split.
In the bridge the USA has a little more punch and attack. Sounds a tiny bit brighter too yes, but i think thats because of the ebony board and the maple top. But the difference is little.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
hhm so if levelled the frets and stuck some bareknuckles in there it would rival if not better the sl1
I dont know what youre trying to get or to prove, but putting other pickups in there wont rival a USA made Jackson. The overall USA quality is just higher. These guitars cost 2600€ for something. You get what you pay for. The playability might be as good as a USA, but that doesnt make the guitar as good as a USA. Durability, consistency, tone, feel, esthetics, electronics, ... make a guitar.
But trust me, in its price range, the SL3 is very hard to beat.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by biased644
Do what this man tells you. Or not and be...mentally challenged for lack of a better word.

he lives on the isle of wight, einstein. getting to a guitar shop will remove ~25% of his budget. minimum. if you're going to post snide comments, it helps if you read the entire thread to get the full story.

Quote by LP_CL
But reviews on the internet are always full of ****.

agreed. well, not every single one, but a lot are. and it's not always easy to tell which are reliable and which aren't.

Quote by LP_CL
I think the SL3 will keep you busy for at least a couple of years. Its more than enough to gig. There are alot of bands who gig alot with guitars that are far from the quality of the SL3. It is a professional instrument, let that be clear...

agreed. based on the one i tried, it was certainly well over the line which separates pro guitars from beginner (or even intermediate).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hhhmmmm. At the moment its sl3 or sl1. And thanks alot dave for sticking up for me, i dont think people understand how much much that bloody 2 mile solent is. Most expensive mile per mile peice of water in the world. But anyway i think i found a shop in southsea (portsmouth) within walking distance from the ferry port which stock both the SLs and the rg1570. Obviously wont be left handed but will only got £20 to go there.

www.guitaruk.com heres there website, and whats on the site is whats in stock now. Anything else to recommend playing?
well, the sl1's just an awful lot more money. if you can get up to the prices of the sl1, there are about a hundred more guitars which'd be worth looking into. your best bet is to see if you can get to try the sl3 and rg1570, and then decide from there if they're good enough.

sorry, i don't have time to check your link now (dinner!), but if you bump this later, I'll check it then.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well if i was to save into the SL1 price range what would you suggest. I just dont wana be buying another guitar in a year

custom legra?
u said bump dave
ok, just checked the site now:

those bc rich gunslingers, if they're ever released, are bound to be worth a look- OFR, dimarzios (korean construction, though). on paper look like good value. pretty 80s-looking though.

seem to have a charvel star... bit over budget, but probably worth a try.

rg1570 (but they say they're out of stock)

jackson dk2L and sl3

some of those musicmans/men are probably worth a look. they're nice guitars.

if you can up your budget to the sl1, then sure, legra would be worth a look. best check that thread in the BKP forum about caparison dellingers, though, to see the varied opinions on whether customs are a good idea or not.

other options would be suhr, tyler, prs, patrick eggle (probably older second hand ones, the early 90s ones are supposedly better), etc. etc. (i'm probably missing some really obvious ones). you really do have a load of options. biggest problem is getting to try them from where you are, and also finding them in left-handed versions... that's gonna be the killer, unfortunately.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
theres a jackson dealer on the island who my mate managed to get a jackson chavel off from the late 80s. Its bolt on neck but proper cool. Dunno if he does lefties, but proberly worth a look. Hes only one blokes got 40+ jackos.

Anyway whats your view on customs?

also just talking to my mate he says the jackson plays like an absolute dream.
Go custom you're in much the same situation as me. South of Ireland and left handed.

If you buy online you might get a lemon or a good one in need of a setup, buy in a shop and you have to spend a large amount on travel.

Even then you're screwed on choice being a lefty. Why waste money on replacing a trem and pickups or either or when you can just get a custom from the get go? You can't get coiltaps phase switching coil splits killswitches etc. in most guitars from the get go. You also cant get unique inlays engravings or whatever else takes your fancy.

Going custom is just so much better for people like us imo.

EDIT: And Bob Johnson is just a great guy and nicest person Ive dealt with in a business. He'll take the time to answer all your questions and designs
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
whos bob johnson? Anyway i got quoted from legra for around £1700. Like i said i think i might just have to settle for the SL3, and then pimp it. Im not sure
guys i need help
Page 1 of 2