Allow me to share three issues related to my band.

My funk band are pretty well known locally now and we’ve done about thirty to forty gigs since getting together. Last year, two of our members also joined another band, but they will breaking up as many of them are leaving. I wonder, considering the two bands are on good terms, would it be rude of us to ask if we could take over their regular slot in a bar down town? It would be excellent publicity for us - as we’ve been off the radar since exams started for us all (we’re all 17/18).

My second issue - our drummer, 16 months ago, when we made our first decent sum of cash and stashed it for safe keeping, bought some drum mics. He asked us all about it individually, but I get the feeling he kind of peer pressured everyone into it. Since then, we’ve used them - never. I’m just wondering, given that it was such an expensive item for him alone, if it would be irrational of the rest of the band to ask if we could be partly refunded when we all leave for university next year? Obviously we can’t split them and they will probably stay in his possession.

** I’m not making a big deal out of that one, it doesn’t really bother me but it has been brought up by fellow band members a few times.

Lastly, we’re going to try and write a whole new set list as we’ve been playing our existing one (all originals) for over a year now and we’re bored of it. We will be recording an album this summer and I’m just wondering - should we shove EVERYTHING (first and second set) onto it, making probably a 24 track album? Or just pick the absolute best?

Cheers
You pick the best of the best tracks that you think will make a nice consistant album. 24 tracks is way to much. Plus long albums really suck, unless they are live.
1. In my eyes it wouldn't be rude - if you guys are good and friends with those guys I see nothing wrong with it

2. I see absolutely nothing wrong with asking for your money back - you earned part of it and if you feel that went to waste you should get something

3. A 24 track album is overkill, you should use no more than your 14 best songs imo
Quote by GiantRaven
1. In my eyes it wouldn't be rude - if you guys are good and friends with those guys I see nothing wrong with it

2. I see absolutely nothing wrong with asking for your money back - you earned part of it and if you feel that went to waste you should get something

3. A 24 track album is overkill, you should use no more than your 14 best songs imo

or if they are all good keep some for later and make a second album in like a year.
personally, i'd make the 24 track album. I would want to keep all of my songs. Unless, not all of them are good. In that case, I would just use the good ones.

I think you should get some money back. It's not like you will ever use those drum mics, assuming you're not a second drummer. And you could use the money for other things.
Quote by Sonic Blast
personally, i'd make the 24 track album. I would want to keep all of my songs. Unless, not all of them are good. In that case, I would just use the good ones.

I'd rather have an album comprised of less song rather than more songs, it could become a complete chore to listen to. Also all 24 songs might not fit into 80 minutes or whatever the limit to a CD is.
For the drum mics, does the drummer ever use them, or are they sitting around gathering dust? If the drummer is using them, then yes, you could probably approach him about giving the other members some cash and making the mics belong only to the drummer. However, if they are just sitting around, then you should probably consider selling them, and splitting up the money.

For the album, are you going to self record, or are you going into a studio? If it's the studio, I say only record your best, say, 50-60 minutes worth of songs. It will make the album stronger, and save you money on recording. However, if you are planning on recording it yourselves (and if you already have drum mics, that's a decent expense out of the way already) then I would go ahead and record all the tracks you have, but still only release the top cuts, but perhaps make the other songs available to fans somewhere else. (Assuming you are not planning on reworking any at a later date.) If nothing else, I would want to keep the "extra" songs around just in case (and mp3s wouldn't take up that much space) but it probably wouldn't be worth the money if you went into a studio.
For the album, record all of the songs but make a deluxe edition with all of the songs and only some of them on the normal
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
1. I don't think it's rude because you get along with them.

2. As long as they're not being used I think it's fine to ask.

3. I think it's better to pick your best songs, especially if you are recording in a studio. Recording takes a lot of time and work (and money if you're in a studio). So I think it is better to focus on fewer really good recordings than on more not as good recordings.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.