Learn intervals of the different scales. That way you work out the patterns and positions yourself.

As for application, the added chromatic notes make the scale symmetrical, making chord tones land on the downbeats aiding you to swing.
Quote by newguitars08
How do you apply the bebop scale to songs?
are there 8 positions? if so what are they?
Charlie parker (the guy that pretty much started bebop) said all he used alot of dominant arpeggios and added b5's to them.

There is no bebop scale or any magical scale that if played will sound bebop. Alot of guys that played bebop would play arpeggios with the odd b5 or b2 or something.

Theres a better way of choosing what note to play next than picking some group of notes with some weird name and playing randomly.
Quote by demonofthenight
Theres a better way of choosing what note to play next than picking some group of notes with some weird name and playing randomly.

Yeah, and that's not what you're doing when you're using a bebop scale. What you are doing is hitting chord tones on downbeats (assuming you start on one), and adding an extra chromatic to the parent scale.

Sure, it won't make you sound bebop biy itself, but don't downplay its effectiveness either. Plenty of beboppers did indeed use it to create long flowing lines.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Yeah, and that's not what you're doing when you're using a bebop scale. What you are doing is hitting chord tones on downbeats (assuming you start on one), and adding an extra chromatic to the parent scale.

Sure, it won't make you sound bebop biy itself, but don't downplay its effectiveness either. Plenty of beboppers did indeed use it to create long flowing lines.
If that were true, wouldnt the bebop scale be a 12 tone scale? You said that you add chromatic notes to the parent scale, and chromatic notes mean any of the 12 notes. But the "bebop scale" is 8 notes.
Quote by demonofthenight
If that were true, wouldnt the bebop scale be a 12 tone scale? You said that you add chromatic notes to the parent scale, and chromatic notes mean any of the 12 notes. But the "bebop scale" is 8 notes.

Read.

I said you add an extra chromatic note. I didn't say you add chromatic notes.

The reason I say an extra chromatic note is it depends on which one you're using, for dominant bebop that would be the 7...

How exactly does me saying you take a parent scale (which has 7 notes) and you add an extra note to it not make it 8 notes?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.