I'm rethinking some of my gear and setup when playing live. I know these are options for getting the guitar out through the PA:

a) Digital effects processor/multiFX or pedal straight to PA input

b) Pedal board straight to PA

c) Mic the amp (optimum solution?)

d) Amp line-out to PA input

e) Preamp or direct box to PA

Unless the amp is miced or connected to PA with line-in, a floor monitor from the PA or in ear monitor will be needed. Are there any other options for connecting to a PA system ... like any way to get an amp speaker out to the PA or some other method?
Ya' can't go wrong with an SM-57 in front of your amp.

I hate the sound of anything going direct to the PA.

Just my opinion.
Trav
Indeed. This is the way its been done for years, and for good reason. Running guitar straight into a PA sounds too sterile and flat, it needs the tone of the amp and the speaker too in order to sounds like a guitar.

If worst comes to worst, then run a line 6 POD straight into the PA. Those can sound reasonable with some tweaking.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
mic it, SM57 will do nicely. Prehaps experiment with mic placement, plonking it right in the middle of the speaker wont give the optimum sound...
Quote by Winsbury
i sorta have the same question.. do you have your guitar linked to amp (via pedals) then mic the amp, then the mic is connected to the mixer, connected to the power amp, conected to the speakers?

Yes. The PA system is just a couple (or more) speakers that are either self amplified, amplified by an amp in the mixer they are connected to, or powered by a separate power amp. They don't have any coloring or inherent tone and reproduce whatever signal is fed into them. So the idea is to create whatever tone you want with your own guitar, pedals/effects, and amp and then mic that tone to the larger PA system.
a) Digital effects processor/multiFX or pedal straight to PA input
Sure that would work fine

b) Pedal board straight to PA
Wont work at all(unless you have an amp modelling pedal like the sansamp with speaker simulation)

c) Mic the amp (optimum solution?)
maybe the optimum solution if you have a good mic and dont have feedback problems

d) Amp line-out to PA input
That could work if your amp has an emulated line out

e) Preamp or direct box to PA
dont know what you mean here with the preamp....but you could use a DI box with speaker simulator and go from preamp out to PA..

I would Go with either a or c
Last edited by ambush_xx at Jun 3, 2008,
If you have multiple amps you can use the Joe Satriani method. I use this when I play with my cousins band, 2 amps: 1 mic'd (wet) and 1 un mic'd (dry) gives it a real nice sound on the system.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
I'm hijacking this thread; what the hell is a PA system? I alwaya here 'play trough the PA or something' if people don't have loud enough amps at gigs. Could anyone tell me?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by angus is god
If you have multiple amps you can use the Joe Satriani method. I use this when I play with my cousins band, 2 amps: 1 mic'd (wet) and 1 un mic'd (dry) gives it a real nice sound on the system.

So basically the crowd is just hearing your wet amp. I don't see why you don't mic the dry amp also?

A PA (Public Address) system normally for us bands consist of a mixing board and amplifiers. The mixing board is used to mix all the singers and equipment to balance the sound blasted into the room. We mic our amps so that we dont have to crank them all the way up on stage to make it to the back of the room. We have our stage volume and use the PA to fill the room.

or, as some bands do, the PA is used so that the singer can be heard over the amp's...
Trav