been practicing chords and the odd riff for about a month now be am getting hacked off having no direction with the practice , can anyone recomend a regime for me to follow so i can gauge how i`m doing
point out your weaknesses.

then work on them until they're perfect.

Other than that i would just keep trying to learn harder songs or doing harder excercises.

Also don't get frustrated when playing. Just notice when you're getting better and that will help you alot.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Record yourself playing every once in a while. Then look at the tape at the end each month and archive your progress.
You should also review the video and see what you can improve on.
Start with a metronome. Then use the chromatic finger exercises. Start probably at 70bpm and work up to 120bpm or higher. That is a good gauge of finding how well you are doing. Once you finish that start learning scales and arpeggios then learn to incorporate the chords into songs with the other stuff.
Quote by Herotime
Start with a metronome. Then use the chromatic finger exercises. Start probably at 70bpm and work up to 120bpm or higher. That is a good gauge of finding how well you are doing. Once you finish that start learning scales and arpeggios then learn to incorporate the chords into songs with the other stuff.

Hell, I'd start even slower-a bit under 60 bpm. You don't want to risk rushing. anything/building bad technique/His advice is good, though; scales are truly good stuff for finger dexterity/muscle memory. I'd add to that though in that you should also learn the chords to some of your favorite songs to add some variety (several hours of chromatic scales can be uninspiring). Start with the slower works, and work up to the faster ones; make sure you get the tempo right. As you progress, you may want to start learning songs all the way through.

Aside from that (supplementally), play around with chords, pieces of scales, etc... to give yourself a chance to create your own stuff. It doesn't have to be impressive: just start basic and build up.
Every time you sit down to "practice" without a metronome, God kills a kitten.