Hi all,

Was after some advice, I am getting my first guitar tommorrow, I am into RHCP, U2, Libertines, Razorlight, Oasis etc.

What would you reccomend out of the 2 types of guitar HSS or SSS?

And for the squiers would I be ok with the affinity series or should I get the standard.

Thanks Fellas,

Danny
Definitely a Fat Strat. Now about the Affinity vs Standard discussion.... I always assumed and actually heard a lot of people say that the Standard would be better, but there are also a bunch claiming the Affinity is a better (upgrade-able) guitar because it's made out of better wood.

Anyway, count me in, I want to know which one of the two is the superior one. My original intention was the get a Standard Fat Strat but I went for another guitar ultimately.
HSS Affinity. For an amp, I'd suggest the VOX valvetronix.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Good choice on the micro cube. I like them quite a bit.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a bullet strat and the micro cube. The cleans are great, the chorus effect's really good. But the distortion sucks ass no matter what. If you want decent distortion and the ability to switch between effects without stopping play to go to your amp then don't get the cube, instead get another amp with pedals. Now that I have the cube, I'd rather have gotten the amp with pedals.
Quote by MPM12
this thread became a discussion about amps

I Know! enough of the amps! strat or fat strat!!!
Quote by MPM12
this thread became a discussion about amps

It always does, amps are just more fun to talk about!

I say get the SSS, I just dont think that having a humbucker in a strat is quite the same.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Affinity. Alder>Agathis. They make great modding guitars, too.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I have read in alot of places that the alder is better than the agathis, hence the affinity is better than the standard. However I want my guitar to look like this http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321703506

However it is a spec edition and only comes in the standard, how hard would it be to make an affinity look like this. If I buy the affinity over this i save around £90. ($180)

Would you buy the affinity and upgrade?

Cheers

Danny
I'd buy the affinity and upgrade.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
get that. Pacificas are excellent guitars.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
although I love SSS strats more, I'm going to have to suggest an HSS strat for your first guitar just for the versitility before you settle into your own playing style. As for affinity vs. Standard, i have no idea.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
HSS. I made a mistake by going SSS, not knowing too much about guitars at the time.
I'm going to try to put a humbucker at the bridge soon.