I have an Epiphone SG that I want to customize and revamp entirely. I want to put in new tuners, a new TOM bridge, new knobs, new pickups and a new paint job. The Sg I have is black and I'm going to paint it white. I was just wondering for the neck, to get a satin black finish, will I have to paint the neck with a satin finish paint or would I only have to sand off the lacquer finish on the neck? Thanks for the help
Do me a favor, take off all the strings, and unscrew the neck, and look at the neck joint. If the body is plywood, you might as well not even bother, if it's one solid piece of basswood, then go for it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
its maho i think
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Dog454
Do me a favor, take off all the strings, and unscrew the neck, and look at the neck joint. If the body is plywood, you might as well not even bother, if it's one solid piece of basswood, then go for it.

...It's a G-400. It's solid mahogany.
It needs sanding of the neck, then a satin clear coat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
t3h interweb?

Try ebaying it, or googling it atleast. Reranch might have it.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Stewmac has some in aerosol cans.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
so do i need to sand off all the finish on the neck then refinish it and then spray the satin finish lacquer or can i jus sand off the clear coat of the neck and spray on the satin finish lacquer?
Quote by oneblackened
...It's a G-400. It's solid mahogany.
It needs sanding of the neck, then a satin clear coat.

He said it's an SG, not G-400. The reason I said check the body is because most of Epiphone's SG Specials come in ebony and cherry red, and a lot of them are plywood. Also, most G-400's have 18:1 Grover tuners, which are pretty good tuners. I don't see why he would replace them unless he really wants Sperzel locking tuners or something.

Anyways, if I were you, I'd probably completely respray the neck, because chances are you might sand a little too hard and accidentally go through the paint. Just sand it down, respray it, then satin coat it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
He said it's an SG, not G-400.

it is a G-400 oneblackened probably looked in my profile and saw it was a G-400
Quote by Roedy0309
it is a G-400 oneblackened probably looked in my profile and saw it was a G-400

I did.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden