i want to learn all the scales for classical and jazz and blues but i dont know were to find all of them and i want to know how you guys incorperate them
That's a very broad question. Especially since classical music, jazz and blues, are very different. Especially the first from the second two which are more closely related.

For starters, I'd say you learn the major scale and it's harmony seeing that it's the base for all or nearly all western music and build from their...
google it or check for books online. i started seriously playing guitar in october and i've been practicing scales since then. just now i'm starting to implement them. i either use them for melodies or licks. scales are like a circle. they repeat themselves all over the fretboard.
Quote by dimebagfan07
i know som penatonic but i just can tell what f$ckin key i am in

it depends what note u start out with at first. for example if you're playing the riff of jump in the fire it starts off at the 3rd fret. or the G note of the low e string. So you're in the key of G
it depends what note u start out with at first. for example if you're playing the riff of jump in the fire it starts off at the 3rd fret. or the G note of the low e string. So you're in the key of G

That's not how you work out keys.
If your going based on cliches I'd say for classical start with the harmonic minor
For Jazz- hmmm maybe the mixolydian? Jazz is a little hard to pinpoint.
Blues- You'll want to learn the minor pentatonic

Oh yes and as previously mentioned learn the MAJOR scale in and out. If you master all these scales you'll be a pretty compentent guitarist! Good Luck!
I keep the wolf from the door, but he calls me on the phone, tells me all the ways that he's gonna mess me up, steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom, but I'll never see them again If I squeal to the cops.
i like to learn about phrigian lydian mixolydian aelian dorian and that stuff but i dont get how you can run it together
Major scale first, until you don't know it off really well and understand it modes are going to be too much too soon. You can do great things with only the major scale. Guitarists seem to hold modes on a pedestal, but to be honest, lots of us don't use them properly and have an incorrect conception of them. So I recommend you read about and practice the major scale thoroughly before moving on.
one more thing my hero dimebag darrell said that him just playing diffrent artist music helped him tremendously do you believe it helps
Duh. You can see what other people have done, and if you know what you're doing, HOW they did it. The how is what you really want to take away from it.
alright but is also good to take a riff from a song and morph it to make it your own
Quote by dimebagfan07
alright but is also good to take a riff from a song and morph it to make it your own

i wouldn't really do that. i've seen people do this and i can usually point out the song they ripped it off of. and to me that's like big negative points on creativity. personally when i write music i try to think "now does this sound anything i've heard before" if it does then i'll squelch it then and there. point in case, i had this great metal song but then i realized it had a rhythm far too similar to walk by pantera. at that point i said "nuh-uh , i love pantera but i'm not gonna rip them off"

now if it sounds like something another band could've written (but not a specific song) i might change it up and add stuff to make it not sound like that band, but i'll still keep it.

and yes, i recommend learning other peoples music just to kinda get an idea as to how music works
Quote by z4twenny
i wouldn't really do that. i've seen people do this and i can usually point out the song they ripped it off of. and to me that's like big negative points on creativity. personally when i write music i try to think "now does this sound anything i've heard before" if it does then i'll squelch it then and there. point in case, i had this great metal song but then i realized it had a rhythm far too similar to walk by pantera. at that point i said "nuh-uh , i love pantera but i'm not gonna rip them off"

now if it sounds like something another band could've written (but not a specific song) i might change it up and add stuff to make it not sound like that band, but i'll still keep it.

and yes, i recommend learning other peoples music just to kinda get an idea as to how music works

I dunno, if you "make it your own" then its actually big positive points on creativity.

I hate unoriginal stuff more than anything, but I don't see taking a riff, and then working it until its no longer the original riff, but something completely your own as a bad thing.

Its actually quite a good exercise in creativity.

I agree with your point though about realizing what you wrote sounds too much like something else. I wouldn't use it either.

I think alot of the most unoriginal music is conceived in pure ignorance of its unoriginality.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 27, 2008,
well thx for the advice i want to learn some king diamond and some children of bodom and maybe some ozzy songs