Page 1 of 2
First things first, I don't want to hear a word about how its more in the U.K. I think we all know that by now and thats not what this thread is about so if theres one post about it I'll be obliged to delete this thread.

I just saw on the news this new bill that is supposedly being proposed in Congress to raise gas prices to about $8.00 (or maybe it was $8.00 more?). From what I gathered, the reasoning behind it is that alternative energy sources will be switched to quicker because of the pressure.

Personally, I think thats really stupid because we should be switching to alternatives as I'm typing this anyways. People shouldn't be forced to switch to alternatives because they're paying too much for gas, they should be switching because they should be educated as to why we need to switch. The problem with that, however, is that whoever does the educating can put their own spin on it.

So I don't know, it all seems just screwed up. I do know that we do need to get off of oil asap. I don't think that raising gas prices astronomically is the best way to start.
We're only strays.
Its more in the UK.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I know what you mean but this should probably be in the Politics thread.
I think higher cost is more of an incentive for a lot more people as opposed to "we should change cuz its better for the environment". Lots of people still don't give a rats arse about the state of the planet.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Half the price as it is here in Britain.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
First things first, I don't want to hear a word about how its more in the U.K. I think we all know that by now and thats not what this thread is about so if theres one post about it I'll be obliged to delete this thread.

I just saw on the news this new bill that is supposedly being proposed in Congress to raise gas prices to about $8.00 (or maybe it was $8.00 more?). From what I gathered, the reasoning behind it is that alternative energy sources will be switched to quicker because of the pressure.

Personally, I think thats really stupid because we should be switching to alternatives as I'm typing this anyways.
People shouldn't be forced to switch to alternatives because they're paying too much for gas, they should be switching because they should be educated as to why we need to switch. The problem with that, however, is that whoever does the educating can put their own spin on it.

So I don't know, it all seems just screwed up. I do know that we do need to get off of oil asap. I don't think that raising gas prices astronomically is the best way to start.

But we aren't. If it were raised to $8 and the additional $4 per gallon of tax money went to alternative fuels, that would be a massive step in the right direction.

Learn politics.
the united states government will be no more by the year 2050, if it lasts even that long.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
For those of you who are uninformed, the raise in price would almost entirely be for the gas tax, which the extra gains from would then go towards alternative fuels. It wouldn't change the profit that oil businesses already get. It would be a good idea.
What about everyone who can't afford a car that does not run on gas?

It needs to be a gradual thing, then they have to make all new models eco friendly, and on;ly after 10 or 15 years, where most people would be able to afford the new type, they could do that.
Quote by Gordita Supreme
But we aren't. If it were raised to $8 and the additional $4 per gallon of tax money went to alternative fuels, that would be a massive step in the right direction.

Learn politics.

Aside from the bitchy "learn politics" at the end, that's a damn good point, and hopefully the reasoning behind the proposed bill in congress.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Did you hear on the British news about how British protests due to the rise in British petrol prices have occurred? British lorry drivers in Britain have cause giant British protests all over Britain by blocking up the British roads because the British prices of diesel in Britain were too high, because the current British government had too much tax on British fuel.

Oh, wait...
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
hm. i don't really think it is that urgent to get off oil this quickly, and i absolutely find this solution ridiculous. i think it would be more important to stabilize the prices and work things out with foreign oil companies to get it at cheaper prices that don't **** us over. technology is not at the height it would need to be to switch off of oil just yet. hybrid cars and that type of thing are still far too expensive. if the government is this interested in getting America off of the oil standard, maybe they should find a way to produce cheaper hybrids or provide rebates for those who purchase more fuel efficient cars. that would make the idea of a fuel efficient car more appealing, and the people would most likely shift in that direction on their own, without being forced into it. on a more important note: hybrid cars look ****ty.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by Ichimaru
Its more in the UK.

Sucks for you Americans! but it's not going to happen.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
WOW. The reason we aren't switching to alternative fuels is NOT because the public doesn't think it's necessary, it's because the ****ing LOBBYISTS are keeping politicians' pockets stuffed so that they can keep selling gasoline as long as they can. there's ALREADY a public outcry for a change, but nothing can be done about it until this 'representative democracy' takes its head out of its ass.
Quote by Alexander_BR
What about everyone who can't afford a car that does not run on gas?

It needs to be a gradual thing, then they have to make all new models eco friendly, and on;ly after 10 or 15 years, where most people would be able to afford the new type, they could do that.

Thats the exact point of raising gas prices, so alternative fuels and alternative vehicles become cheaper.
Quote by CoreysMonster
pfft, it's still about half the price it is here in Germany

Poor Germany, your's is even worse than ours I think.
My friend pays 1.50 Euro's for a litre of Unleaded. Such a shame, it's a good thing she works her arse off so she has a nice healthy looking bank balance.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Personally, I think thats really stupid because we should be switching to alternatives as I'm typing this anyways. People shouldn't be forced to switch to alternatives because they're paying too much for gas, they should be switching because they should be educated as to why we need to switch. The problem with that, however, is that whoever does the educating can put their own spin on it.

Ideal but not exactly practical.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Gordita Supreme

Learn politics.

This man speaks the truth.
If the other 4 dollars went to say, the oil companies though, then it would be a major step in the wrong direction.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
its getting LOTS higher everyday in Belgium

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

I got my license about 3.5 years ago, one liter was around 1.15€, and that was considered high. Now it's over 1.50€

1 gallon = 3.79 liters, dollar's poor value doesn't count in this so it's around $5.7 per gallon in here.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at May 27, 2008,
It costs more in Ireland
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Britain is small and you dant need to drive, you can just take the subway or a train.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
What difference does it make? Even when they get alternative energy, all cars that run on fossil fuel aren't going to just disappear, and the vast majority of Americans probably won't be able to afford cars that run on alternative fuels.
Quote by powerpiker
Britain is small and you dant need to drive, you can just take the subway or a train.

Our train system is pricey and unreliable. People still need to drive in the UK to do daily business just like every American.
You are misinformed. Supply and Demand economics controls the price of gas. Bills passed through Congress have practically nothing to do with the price you pay at the pump, yet.

The bills in particular that are in congress right now are in regards to the tax of gas. The proposed bill is suggesting removing the gas tax this summer, to "give the hard working americans a break."

The bill in question is bullcrap. It is an idea made up by the Presidential candidates to get the people on their side, the idea originated from Hillary Clinton. I have not read of one congressmember who supports the gas tax break, seeing as it will hurt the national income and ultimately lead to higher gas prices.

Seriously, a "bill" that makes the price of gas $8.00 a gallon? Go learn some economics before posting.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Ichimaru
Its more in the UK.

Cool...

Personally I like having cheaper gas prices here.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by CowboyUp
What difference does it make? Even when they get alternative energy, all cars that run on fossil fuel aren't going to just disappear, and the vast majority of Americans probably won't be able to afford cars that run on alternative fuels.

That's why it'll be a slow, gradual process.
If oil prices continue to go up it could be more cost effective to switch to an electric car or hydrogen car

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I can stop this argument right now by stating that there is no way in hell Congress would raise gas prices. Obama is already having trouble with blue-collar voters, and raising gas prices wouldn't exactly endear the democratic party to that constituency...or any constituency for that matter. Not to mention that any bill this retarded would get vetoed by Bush instantly.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by LedZeppelin
I can stop this argument right now by stating that there is no way in hell Congress would raise gas prices. Obama is already having trouble with blue-collar voters, and raising gas prices wouldn't exactly endear the democratic party to that constituency...or any constituency for that matter. Not to mention that any bill this retarded would get vetoed by Bush instantly.

You sigged me.
Cool.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by LedZeppelin

This is true.

Whoever told the TS that this bill was happening needs some serious education in the ways of both

1- Economics, so you'd know that gas prices have nearly nothing to do with Congress.

2- Government, as Congress can't pass the bill without bush in the first place.

This whole thread is a fluke.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
There was a bit on the Colbert Report a couple weeks ago about how Exxon Mobil made $1,300 a second last year. "It may sound like a lot, but it's an awfully unlucky number of 100s."

SOLUTION - Carpooling

My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by SlinkyBlue
This is true.

Whoever told the TS that this bill was happening needs some serious education in the ways of both

1- Economics, so you'd know that gas prices have nearly nothing to do with Congress.

2- Government, as Congress can't pass the bill without bush in the first place.

This whole thread is a fluke.

QFT... although theoretically Congress could say "fuck you" to Bush and ratify it over his veto, but they'd need a 2/3 majority, and I believe the Senate is 51-50 Democrat-Republican right now, or something similar.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
You think thats bad!?!? We have the highest pirce of petrol/diesel in the whole of the U.K!
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
Page 1 of 2