So I had my heart set on buying a ProCo Turbo Rat. But then I heard that it really works better if you use it in line with another distortion pedal. Thom Yorke uses a Marshall Shredmaster, then two Turbo Rats. http://guitargeek.com/rigview/610/

What's the point of putting multiple distortion pedals together? Is this ever a necessity?
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails horribly. But more then likely he was using one with the settings at level 10 and Gain 0 infront of the other one and using it as a line level booster.

SRV also used two tubescreamers...

Is it worth it who knows, its just something you have to experiment with...
The point: heavier distortion
This isn't normally a necessity... Unless you're using amps such as Yorke's, which aren't known for heavy distortion, in which case you might want mutltiple distortion pedals. He may also use them to get different sounds, like channel switching (one set for light distortion or crunch, one for heavier distortion or soemthing like tht)
I doubt Yorke runs them all on at the same time... or even two at a time. His tone isn't that heavy. I think he has different settings on all of them considering how diverse Radiohead songs are.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by zoso59
The point: heavier distortion
This isn't normally a necessity... Unless you're using amps such as Yorke's, which aren't known for heavy distortion, in which case you might want mutltiple distortion pedals. He may also use them to get different sounds, like channel switching (one set for light distortion or crunch, one for heavier distortion or soemthing like tht)

Would the Vox valvetronix need two distortion pedals?

edit: also, he's using two different amps together. What would be the motive for that?
Last edited by andersoncouncil at May 28, 2008,
The vox valvetronix isn't really made to have distortion boxes running into it.
Atleast it doesn't sound good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
The vox valvetronix isn't really made to have distortion boxes running into it.
Atleast it doesn't sound good.

Someone reccomended it to me as a good amp for someone who wanted to experiment with pedal effects.

At least I haven't bought a new amp yet.

Amp recommendations for those who want to experiment with pedals?

Currently using the Kustom 12 Guage (10 watts). I'm looking to go up to around 30w.
I think the person meant you can use to onboard effects to work out what tones sound best.

Or they just lied.
Quote by andersoncouncil
Someone reccomended it to me as a good amp for someone who wanted to experiment with pedal effects.

Amp recommendations for those who want to experiment with pedals?

Currently using the Kustom 12 Guage (10 watts). I'm looking to go up to around 30w.

It IS a good amp for experiment with effects. It has plenty built in, so you can get an idea of what different effects do, without having to splash out on seperate effects that you may not even consider necessary later.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by andersoncouncil

I think he might have ment that the Valvetronix has built in effects, and thus you get to experiment with effects?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Are onboard effects better than pedal effects then?

I'm sure they're cheaper, but are they better?

edit: What's best for someone who wants to do noise/experimental music?
Last edited by andersoncouncil at May 28, 2008,
Quote by andersoncouncil
Are onboard effects better than pedal effects then?

I'm sure they're cheaper, but are they better?

Usually (well, almost always) no. But the point is that they're cheaper, so you get to see what which effect does and such, before you have to buy expensive pedals.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Usually (well, almost always) no. But the point is that they're cheaper, so you get to see what which effect does and such, before you have to buy expensive pedals.

But then I've bought an amp which I'll have to eventually sell. And then I'll have to buy the expensive pedals on top of that.

And besides, I used to have a multi-effects pedal, which I experimented with and learned about effects a little, but not a lot because I didn't like it and sold it.
Jonny Greenwood uses the same kinda technique as Thom Yorke does. He uses the Shredmaster and put its through the Boss SD-1 which takes away the natural fuzz of the Shredmaster, giving a smooth overdrive. I dont think this can be done with just the Shredmaster on its own. Although the Turbo Rat is a fuzz pedal....
My metal is more br00t4lz than yours

Gear:
Squier Strat
ESP B-10 Bass
Peavey Backstage