Out of curiosity, how can you tell if you've found the best sound you can. When do you need to stop buying?
Im liking my tone at the moment, isnt making me want to overhaul my rig. But would spending big money on odd little things really be worth it? For example, id like to upgrade my EQ, prehaps get a TS-9... but thinking again, i like me tone ...

What dew guys think...
Your wah could be better. Much better. And your DS-1 could be great, with all the Keeley mods in it. But as far as your head and cab, it really couldnt get too much better.
Yeah, like just today i dont feel like playing because my tone isnt good.

Last week i thought i had the perfect tone for my amp, but now it sounds bad, is it true that humidity changes will affect tube amps?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I would try some kind of TS copy if I was you, they have so many uses. Drive the clean channel into overdrive for a different kind of distortion. Use it on the dirty channel for a lead sound, or maybe to boost the amp for metal. It can tighten up lows and do all sorts of wonderful things. I think every tube amp deserves a good boost/OD pedal. You can never have enough EQ pedals.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Cudnt say, but i agree that the wah could be upgraded, after a mic, i think thats my next step. But its hard to say whether i really am near the end of the road of tone chasing, i might try a different amp one day and think its 100 times better for me, or spend thousands, and realise, i cant improve to my standards. Oh well, makes the game more fun eh...
My tone is dire, but frankly, I just don't care. Maybe one day, when I'm a haggard, aged, slightly withered Hispanic-man, with money to burn from collaborating with a host of failing mainstream pop-stars, I can sit back in my teak rocking chair, vintage guitar in hand, and plug into an assortment of extortionately priced boutique amplifiers. Until that day, I'll make do.

So to answer your question...
No. Make do.
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
I get that feeling all the time... i think my problem is the Line 6.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Took me 25 years. You know when you have good tone when you never need to eq your amp again.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
A Quote from Eric Clapton got thrown in my face once, basically he said he has yet to find the perfect tone. So my buddy used that line on me when i said i needed a new amp. Also stating if this guy with all his money and exeriance cant find it why are you even trying.

Now with that said did i still continue my search..... Yes yes i did lol
Plus, if my band collapsed, i wouldnt have space/use for my 100 watt tube halfstack and gear... scary!!!
i fear the day when i find perfect tone (if thats possible).
id have nothing to spend my money on lol.
i can live with my average tone.
perfect tone is just one of those amazing things that are too amazing and are therefore scary
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i think tone is dependent on phases. at different points in life you will have different tastes, the same goes with tone. if you like what it sounds like now keep it but feel free to experiment and find different tones that you will perhaps use later.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I had the perfect tone.. then my taste in tone switched completely. 180. I was looking for the most fluid perfect metal tone I could achieve, now I'm all about the woody clean jazz tone..
Quote by vitchb
Out of curiosity, how can you tell if you've found the best sound you can. When do you need to stop buying?
Im liking my tone at the moment, isnt making me want to overhaul my rig. But would spending big money on odd little things really be worth it? For example, id like to upgrade my EQ, prehaps get a TS-9... but thinking again, i like me tone ...

What dew guys think...

not really i went all the way and spent money on engls, carvins etc but i think tone is never ending. one thing i found that i was trying to achieve the tone that is made only by overdubbing guitars and expensive productions rather than the best gear known to man.
If I like the sound I'm getting, I don't change it. I have found a tone I really love, but it comes slowly, as a result of my cash flow.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
vitchb how are u likin the seymour duncan and 81 mix? Is it active (the duncan)? Because I just bought an 81 and am not sure what else to get. I want a good clean pick up but i dont want to mix passive/active.
I might have found my perfect tone w/ ENGL powerball, 6505 and Vader cab. But i will report back when the vader comes
Quote by tuwyci
not really i went all the way and spent money on engls, carvins etc but i think tone is never ending. one thing i found that i was trying to achieve the tone that is made only by overdubbing guitars and expensive productions rather than the best gear known to man.

Well, then use multiple amps at the same time as well as rack compressors and EQ's that they use in those productions!

I would hate to find the perfect tone. That would completely take all of the fun out of it.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
I hate my sound.

I mean, I play on some mad expensive Soldano stack.

it sounds flippin' amazing, it's up there with the EVHs, Marshalls, Mesas, and crap..
but it's just not what I want..

The 81 is active, but the seymour is a 59', so passive. I was thinking ill just run the 81 on its own, and wont touch the seymour until i can replace that, but suprisingly in my guitar, with my setup, they sound great going at the same time, to me that is. There are probably better combinations that i just havnt tried, but the 59' does sound great with it i think, and you can rely on it for a good full clean when needed, experiment....
Is it true that humidity will affect tubes?

Cause a few days i had an ideal tone and today it sounds like **** at the same volume however its very humid and hot.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
well i`m still looking...

so far i figured out Active pickups are WAYYY better then passives for me

Line 6 Spiders really do suck LOL

and it`s all about tube amps

i`m hopin i`m close, i`d love to find the perfect tone for me, then i could STOP spending money on this stuff LOL.

pretty much when my JCM900 has a bit more gain and low end, i think i`ll be happy, it`s in to get fixed and new pre amp tubes put in and i maybe bringing home a BBE Sonic maximizer.

but ya, i plugged in to my nephews Spider I 1/2 stack.... OMG

it was horrible

also, Hybrid amps are SOOOO much better then SS amps, but still if you want good tone you need tubes. as i`m finding out today with my Mode 4 loner amp.

For sheer gain... Mode 4
For sheer tone.. JCM900
Quote by TechnicolorType
I hate my sound.

I mean, I play on some mad expensive Soldano stack.

it sounds flippin' amazing, it's up there with the EVHs, Marshalls, Mesas, and crap..
but it's just not what I want..

Hell, I'll take it off your hands.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Teh GIR
Is it true that humidity will affect tubes?

Cause a few days i had an ideal tone and today it sounds like **** at the same volume however its very humid and hot.

It may be a variation in wall voltage. It'll vary 5 volts or more, which means the voltages in your amp will also vary a few percent.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Hell, I'll take it off your hands.

heh :X

technically it isn't mine.
I just play on it.. all the time.
Honeslty right now im just on a search for a decent tone. And something that can get me close to the tones im currently into. Which my new Ultra works out perfectly for me.. And im pretty sure "my perfect tone" is going to be pretty expensive so im not really on a quest for that one yet. Im still trying to figure out the basics...
For me, getting the perfect tone is like reaching enlightenment to the Buddhists. I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime, but what matters is what I've learned on the journey there...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
The quest for the perfect tone is achievable; yet, never accomplished. It's all part of the journey...don't question it...just enjoy the ride...........Peace

There once was a note, pure and easy,
Playing so free, like a breath rippling by.
The note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,
Forever we blend it, forever we die. I listened and I heard music in a word,
And words when you played your guitar,
The noise that I was hearing was a million people cheering.....the Who
Quote by TimmyPage06
I had the perfect tone.. then my taste in tone switched completely. 180. I was looking for the most fluid perfect metal tone I could achieve, now I'm all about the woody clean jazz tone..

pwnt
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
pwnt

On the bright side, unlike the perfect overdrive sound, you can get an amazing clean tone out of just about anything with a guitar with low output pickups and some skill in EQing.
When it matches the sound in your head. Or, when you can't possibly think of any flaws in it.
I found it.

The 'acoustic' setting directly into my headphones on my RP250 is beautiful. I love it for cleans.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by TechnicolorType
heh :X

technically it isn't mine.
I just play on it.. all the time.

the video in that sig makes me ashamed of Peavey. that tone was terrible compared to what he was attempting, that being the key word, to play. and on topic, i believe i have found my favorite tone for right now. the new amp helped immensely on my tone search.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
lmao, that vid in my sig is the worst tone I've ever heard..

yeah, I don't understand.. as crappy as metal zone is, I can get it to sound decent on my classic 50 but on his rage 158 no matter what it just doesn't...

makes peavey look bad

but then alot of companies have crap things.. look at marshall MGs, right?
Quote by TechnicolorType
lmao, that vid in my sig is the worst tone I've ever heard..

yeah, I don't understand.. as crappy as metal zone is, I can get it to sound decent on my classic 50 but on his rage 158 no matter what it just doesn't...

makes peavey look bad

but then alot of companies have crap things.. look at marshall MGs, right?

well, i respected everything i've ever heard from peavey until that. and the thing about MG's is they are Marshall's overseas stuff. i don't even recognize them as a real Marshall.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
I'm pretty happy with the sounds I can get, but there's always room for improvement. Then again I'm finding that variety and options are more important to me now than some perfect tone. I've been in the situation where your sound just sucks and it's depressing and not inspiring at all. I think that's a good time to try and get some better equipment. But if you're happy with your sound, try not to worry so much about finding a better tone.