Quote by idiotboy1313
how are the pickups on Dora?

that was the most random sounding things i've heard on ug in a while lol...

I've been thinking of getting an epi explorer too, but i've held back getting one 1. lack of $ (i hate being 14) 2. im afraid to buy a guitar that looks like its just for metal if i gig with it, because im into other music too
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Quote by MiniMoose22031
that was the most random sounding things i've heard on ug in a while lol...

I've been thinking of getting an epi explorer too, but i've held back getting one 1. lack of $ (i hate being 14) 2. im afraid to buy a guitar that looks like its just for metal if i gig with it, because im into other music too

dude the edge from u-2 used an explorer for much of his career.
their badass. but get the natural one, just classyer
Quote by peever
dude the edge from u-2 used an explorer for much of his career.
their badass. but get the natural one, just classyer

Lynyrd Skynyrd had an explorer or two...

Just saying.
The difference between the Gibson and Epiphone Explorers is huge. The Gibson feels so nice, better-looking finish, etc.; however, the Epi is priced so right. Used, you get such an immense Bang for the $$$ and upgrading the PUs will make it slay, hard!

i havnt played either, but id go with the black it makes the gold hardware look sexier.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by idiotboy1313
Hey I was wondering

has anyone ever played either of these?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Korina-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518234
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518454

and if so

what do u think of them?
are they worth it?
or are there better ones?

These guitars are bad-****ing-ass. I love mine! I put an SH-6 in the bridge and it sounds so punchy, its great!

However, keep in mind that the neck is thicker than usual, and that it can get a little neck-heavy. A good, wide, suede strap counters this perfectly.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

I get it... Dora the Explorer!

Anyways, I own the ebony one, and yes, it is indeed very kickass. And I get many compliments when I bring it to school.
The Ebony one was my first guitar and out of the two guitars and the bass I own it's still by far my favorite, it plays so nice and it's got a pretty fast neck. I swapped the pickups for Seymour Duncans ('59/JB) and they are worlds apart from the stock pickups but even the stock ones weren't bad by any means, I'm always running into walls and stuff with it because of the large body and the shape of the headstock (both of which I love so I put up with the large size compared to say a superstrat body) but since I literally learned and "grew up on" an Explorer it is one of the most comfortable guitars for me and I've played literally everything.

With that being said, I'm sure my Carvin DC145 I just ordered will take my Explorer's place as my new favorite guitar when it's ready in nine weeks but that's a whole different matter. I say, get the Epiphone Explorer, swap the pickups if you want and don't worry about the fact that you could've spent more than twice as much for a Gibson. There is a difference but the Epiphone is a perfectly capable guitar.
I have the ebony as well.
I swapped out the stock mudbuckets for a set of SD Blackouts, and it's a whole different guitar now. Yes it does neckdive like a bitch.
The only other thing is the neck feels further away, but I'm used to short body guitars like LPs.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
I swapped out the stock mudbuckets for a set of SD Blackouts, and it's a whole different guitar now. Yes it does neckdive like a bitch.
The only other thing is the neck feels further away, but I'm used to short body guitars like LPs.

Neckdive? Try a Thunderbird bass and then come tell me how balanced the Explorer feels I have 'em both and I can't play either of them standing at all.
They are both great, i would say get the natural one, purely because when the gold hardware starts tofade, it'll look better.

i have one, god knows how i found it but its a limited edition,
"pewter" one and its faded to the nicest green/gold/silver all over, i swapped out the pup's for an EMG 81/60 set and its the best metal sound i think youcould find for under £1000,

everybod with the neck dive problem, if your not scared to take a drill to your guitar its easily fixable,

just drill the strap button into the back of your guitar, just behind that little ridge were the set neck is, put some filler in the old hole and your good to go.....
I used to have an Epi Goth Explorer, but have since sold it. The neck/action on it was fantastic straight from the factory by inspector 22. Inspector 5 on my LP was just okay.

We should start a thread to keep track on what Epi inspectors turn out the best guitars.

EDIT: Inspector thread
Last edited by JohnnyBeep at May 28, 2008,
Quote by Eddy372
These guitars are bad-****ing-ass. I love mine! I put an SH-6 in the bridge and it sounds so punchy, its great!

However, keep in mind that the neck is thicker than usual, and that it can get a little neck-heavy. A good, wide, suede strap counters this perfectly.

I found the neck to be a lot thinner than the neck on a Les Paul. I agree that it can be neck heavy.
If i was to buy another Epi.

Epiphone Futura Prophecy FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo
That

Sand it back and paint it black.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by truespin

Quote by JohnnyBeep
I found the neck to be a lot thinner than the neck on a Les Paul. I agree that it can be neck heavy.

Huh? o_0

The large Mahogany body is heavy relative to the neck. If it were to move because of a slim and/or slippery nylon strap, the neck would take off as opposed to dive.

Quote by Ippon
Huh? o_0

The large Mahogany body is heavy relative to the neck. If it were to move because of a slim and/or slippery nylon strap, the neck would take off as opposed to dive.

When I used to play with it, that's what I found.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
Exactly. It's not something that should discourage anyone from getting an explorer.

yeh the black and gold is the sexiest thing ever lol

yeh i was thinking of putting in a new bridge pickup once i got it

probably an emghz
Gear

Kramer Vanguard

Les Paul Copy with Seymour Duncan Invaders