Well, my exams are over and I'm starting full time work again next week. As is my yearly tradition, I'm budgeting the gear I'll buy this summer.

I'm budgeting some modifications to my strats (two of em...), and I still haven't come to a final decision on what pickups I'm going to put in them.

The first Strat is a Hank Marvin signiture model that currently has three Duncan Hotrails. I've a push/pull volume pot which toggles the bridge pickup independent of the 5-way, another in the first tone position that switches its phase and two toggle switches that change the capacitors the Hotrails run through (which most don't realise has a HUGE effect on the tone). This is the most tonally versatile guitar I own (or for that matter, have ever played). The problem is that I don't really want a huge amount of versatility anymore...

I'm looking for a set of pickups that will give a real vintage strat tone, a bell like clean and a nice singing overdrive. I've been looking at the Kinman FV-HMS (Hank Marvin Signiture) set and I think it's a marraige that makes sense, but I've also been looking at Suhr and Fralin pickups, and wonering if they'd be a better bet. One benefit of the Kinmans is that they're noiseless, while I'd have to get a Suhr backplate with either the Suhrs or the Fralins. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them, but the neck and middle position MUST have the same winding and polarity as neck and bridge pickups. I also prefer a bridge pickup which ISN'T hotter than the other pickups.

The second strat is a USA std with sh*tty stock pickups. Again I'm looking for a great strat tone, but I'd like it to be different from the Marvin strat. Here I've been looking at the Fralin and Suhr pickups primarily, and most likely going with the Suhr backplate to silence them. The particular models I've ben looking at are the Suhr FLs and the Fralin Real 54 set and Vintage hot set.

Tones I'd be looking to get in the ballpark of would include the single coild tones of Eric Johnson, Scott Henderson, David Gilmour (not the EMG sound) and Carl Verheyen. My current amp is a Cornford Hellcat, and budget isn't really an issue, I'm also budgeting Cornford Carrera and a number of effects, going overboard on pickups just means I'll do without a wah for a bit longer.

Cheers for all of this!
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Stock pickups are wicked, just get a better amp.
Gilmour just uses a stock neck pickup, and it's one of the most beautiful tones.
But that's because he has a 100W Hiwatt Custom...

I really doubt that the problem is my amp...
Consider Rock Monkey pickups. UGers get a 10% discount due to the owner being a UGer. It's CorduroyEW or something like that.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Stock pickups are wicked, just get a better amp.
Gilmour just uses a stock neck pickup, and it's one of the most beautiful tones.
But that's because he has a 100W Hiwatt Custom...

Have you even heard of his amp?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I would ignore the noiseless jumbo and just get some vintage sc and properly shield my guitar. Seems the best solution cost wise and sonically.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Sendrith
Consider Rock Monkey pickups. UGers get a 10% discount due to the owner being a UGer. It's CorduroyEW or something like that.
That's him. I have a warm gorilla fist in my strat bridge and a smooth groove custom extra warm in the middle, about to order a '62 for the neck and they're BRILLIANT.

Honestly, so much clarity, tone and quality at such a great price, and the service is impeccable. He'll even rewind them for you if not to taste!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
You make me want a strat. Which I wanted before. But now I want one again.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Kevin Saale
I would ignore the noiseless jumbo and just get some vintage sc and properly shield my guitar. Seems the best solution cost wise and sonically.

As I said, cost isn't much of an issue, and the Kinmans aren't sterile sounding noiseless pickups like the Fender models, they definitely have their own character to them.